The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6853

@Cavelino Rampante

If you are using the current "Firefox" there, is not a true "IE plug-in" at present.

There is "IE View 1.4"; this "add-on" will automatically open "The Racing Post" site in "IE" each time from your "favourite" folder if you wish.

I find it quite useful as many sites are still only configured to run only in "IE" or have been designed to specifically look better in "IE" as, the browser is still the most popular worldwide.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/35

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

E-mail from one seriously p****d off racing fan destined for the Racing Post.

Same here! :evil:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

It reminds me of when i was a loyal reader of the Sporting life newspaper
    and it ceased trading, i had to buy a Racing post for the 1st time and i tried to read the form and hated it! 2yrs later i backed my 1st winner! I"m sure we will get used to it.

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

Any ideas on likely cost ?

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Any ideas on likely cost ?

I’ll begin by saying I don’t know anything official – but the figure that seems to keep cropping up in discussions is £20 a year

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

I would consider that to be good value

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

If true, that is exceptionally good value

£10 a month wouldn’t be unreasonable for full access to the database IMO

As TDK pointed out elsewhere the only real surprise is how long it’s remained free of charge

You lucky lot

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Is it value, when you don’t know what you get for your money?
    If it’s Pricewise, bettting updates, and a few other bits, not imo.
    Still don’t believe they’ll cut off access to form and racecards f.o.c.,
    that could kill the website – stone dead.

Participant
    • Total Posts 313

SOMETHING I NICKED FROM ANOTHER FORUM
    A reply from The Racing Post in answer to a query about the new site. This was at the begining of November. No mention o how much it will cost but an idea of what will be free and what will not.

Thank you for your email and apologies for the delay in responding to it.

The principle we are working to is that our site will offer users free access to everything that is free elsewhere, plus lots, lots more. But there will be paid-for areas for new services and for unique Racing Post content. Users can join the Members’ Club, which will allow them access to the complete historic database, to Racing Post Ratings, Topspeed, Postdata and to Spotlights as well as the news archive.

Beyond that, users can purchase additional services such as a new Insight package, which comprises additional Pricewise tipping plus the excellent Live Reporter service from the track, trainer quotes and a range of betting-focused content. It will also be possible to buy live streaming of Racing UK and RUK archive pictures.

Further services will be added in time. We will be working on developing new products and hope to have a team creating compelling content for a variety of customers.

We have not finalised the prices of the packages. The plan is to do further testing before we finally fix these. Whatever happens, the deal will be that users buy a basic membership and then add whatever services they wish to have. There will also be a ‘give me everything’ package.

Please be assured that both the site’s designers and senior Racing Post staff are monitoring your feedback and it will be taken into consideration.

Kind regards,

Rosy Gahan

Racing Post Customer Services[/color:urpm4x10]

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Sounds like teh £20 could be the basic membership charge.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Is it value, when you don’t know what you get for your money?
    If it’s Pricewise, bettting updates, and a few other bits, not imo.
    Still don’t believe they’ll cut off access to form and racecards f.o.c.,
    that could kill the website – stone dead.

I wouldn’t pay a brass farthing for tipsters/news/articles/sundry bumf, and personally have no need for the database/form so won’t bother becoming a paid-up member. But for those that do value the database – and it would seem, unsurprisingly, that is what the majority on here do indeed value about the RP website – then an annual subs of a score plus a monthly surcharge of say a tenner would in my view represent good value; it is an excellent resource.

Agree that making the whole site unavailable to ‘guests’ wouldn’t be wise and I’d think it likely that news summaries and basic racecards without form/spotlights would still be available.

Other commercial form/ratings providers would do well to keep a close eye on what unfolds. A good opportunity to draw disaffected RP users their way by offering discounted introductory packages.

It’s all supposition at the moment anyway; the old site is still up this morning btw

• Total Posts 2432

The Racing Post "boutique" investors appear to be following the Daily Racing Form business plan by offering a members access area combined with free stuff for the casual browser.

The DRF separation doesn’t just partition news and cards etc; it functions within the editorial copy too, which surprised me.

For example, the first paragraph of a breaking news story is shown on the home page. If you’re interested enough to read the complete story, you have to register and log in. This is free. Even when you have gone to that effort, you realise that some stories are Members Club level stories and require a subscription to finish, like those literary websites which charge for the final chapter of a book.

Basically, it’s all too complicated and you’re off elsewhere in frustration within seconds. There are strict laws governing websurfing, particularly the interface between access speed and a person’s attention span.

There’s a wider impact too. There is no way a young racegoer in, say, Minnesota is EVER going to get interested in the sport of kings through the DRF website. It’s not a marketing tool in any sense. One visit to DRF interactive and Stateside surfers are mentally filling their slot buckets full of quarters before their laptops have hibernated.

It will be a shame if the great RP website went the same way.

http://www.drf.com

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

DRF and RP’s obligation to racing, in as far as more interest in racing is good for them, is nonetheless secondary to their obligation to their bank balance. Charging for RP website would likely be detrimental to the interests of racing and betting but positive to the interests of RP’s shareholders. Or at least while there is little alternative to the RP’s product.

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

I thought the old site was excellent, the new site is shite, simple as. Far too slow, crap colour schemes, too busy, pants. Will be seeking alternatives!

• Total Posts 772

Hi gang 8)

i don’t like it….

no going correction data & no RP forecast prices.

browsering and clicking through endless pages and trying to "study" form is wasted time and energy. Computer programmes, macros and clever queries are the future…… not this offering.

byefrom
    carlisle

Participant
    • Total Posts 49

Hi guys, I’m new on here, so I hope you don’t mind me asking for help. I’ve just been trying to figure the new RP site, and am totally confused………..where are the past results other than the front page listed ones for yesterday? How do I get onto the database??
    I wondered if it was on the members section, but I can’t get into that either……….. wtf have they done………… :?

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Im all for change but the new site is very underwhelming. Its slow and visually less impressive than before. Thats putting it mildly

Where are the future cards and declarations ?

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.