The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 1688

Ok – IMO the key to a frequently busy website is for the users to have a reason to go back time and time again.

On the front page RP.com has a live results box with those hitting the frame, odds, the also-rans and beaten favourite if applicable. Very innovative.

Now, if they could have a secondary box with the next race to go, the top 5 in the market + a quick recap of the RP Spotlight and any indication of this being a nap or a nap from one of RP’s leading tipsters etc etc

It seems to be on the right track in some places and a little hazy in others.

Was the switch to .com in order to globalise the website?

Participant
    • Total Posts 313

One word: "Beta".

The Racingpost.com site has been available for perusal for some time now.

The fact that the powers that be have now decided to advertise it on Racingpost.co.uk indicates they believe it is the finished article.

Spitfire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 184

Another example of horse racing shooting itself in the foot, if not the head. Introducing new charges just as the economy is sliding into a valley is madness and will only result in more punters turning to footie for their betting. The march to football betting is unstoppable anyway but this decision will accelerate it.

Horse racing will continue to shrink and if it’s not careful will end up as a cottage industry.

Oh yes and I’ll probably pay the new charge.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

One word: "Beta".

The Racingpost.com site has been available for perusal for some time now.

The fact that the powers that be have now decided to advertise it on Racingpost.co.uk indicates they believe it is the finished article.

It’s not mate – it’s still in the final stages and it is still the beta site.

This is the first time all RP.co.uk users have had the chance to use the site. Before it was just a selected few who got the email/attended focus groups

The impression the site gives though is that itll all go live next week

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

They should keep an option for the old site but if they don’t I have no choice and im just going to have to get used to this one. Not liking it at the moment, give it 2 or 3 weeks.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

It won’t work on anything older than XP so we’ve had to upgrade a couple of old Windows 98 machines so they can take a new enough version of Explorer for the RP Site.

Participant
    • Total Posts 313

I’ll accept it is still a BETA in development as it is different today.

Now all the meetings and races are on one page but after looking at a race clicking the back button still takes you back to the beginning and you have to start again. Whether a BETA or not in the world of webpage design not being able to navigate to another race on the same card or another meeting is an error of schoolboy proportions.

There is now the option to look at all races from one meeting on one page which was not available yesterday.

As the Racing Post has a lot of experience in building this type of website I can’t understand how they can make so many blunders, unless they employ a different web building team each time that know nothing about racing.

Looking at the racecards again another thing which is really beginning to bug me is the right hand third of the page being permanently taken up by that menu. I want to look at the racecard I do not want it compromised so that menu can sit there with a lot of unrelated items. Why do I want to know the result of the 9:20 at Wolverhampton yesterday if I’m looking at a race yet to take place at Newbury. The menu needs to be removed or narrowed so that the race card can be better presented with more information.

Also the cards have to be reduced vertically. At the moment unless it is a small field it does not fit on the screen and the user has to scroll up and down. All in all I think the cards on the current website are a lot easier and clearer to view than the proposed new versions.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 3003

Just had a look , its ok , basic , nothing to get excited about , will I pay for it , definitely not

cheers

Ricky

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I’ve found the new site a lot faster with Firefox. Does anyone know if its possible to view the video content in Firefox with some sort of an IE plugin?

seepigeon
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

I’ve found the new site a lot faster with Firefox. Does anyone know if its possible to view the video content in Firefox with some sort of an IE plugin?

I have subscribed to view RUK videos on the RP site, but if I use Firefox they do not load. I had assumed this was some type of digital rights management issue, which I get on football sites as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 330

Slow and cumbersome.

I’ll be sticking to the .co.uk site until it stops working.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Me too,although I have no option at work anyway as we don’t have a new enough version of IE to run it.

KevinTHFC
    Participant
    • Total Posts 43

I think you will find that the current site is being pulled on Monday :evil:

Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Yep the new site goes live tomorrow and the old one will stop.

The new site seems really slow today and a bit buggy. Some of the races are in a strange order (not by racecard number) and clicking on the headers does not change the order, (another new innovation).

If this was tomorrow with the old site gone we would be right up the creek.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I’m still not completely convinced by the new site, but it does have some big positives compared to the old one.

For one thing, they’ve added a lot of Irish Point-to-Point form to their database, which could be vital information. Even Denman’s 2005 appearance at Liscarroll is in his form now – very good.

I also like the way you can search for a horse without being taken away from the page you’re looking at. Before, I would have to faff about with the tabs in Internet Explorer.

The new tools and market information seem useful and easy-to-use too. It’s just a shame that you need a newish computer to view the site properly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

On the evidence to date the site is substandard.

I can’t get all the links to work, even after loading the new version of Internet Explorer. I’ve kept my notes on the Racing Post database, but at the moment I’ve no idea whether I can still access the records.

E-mail from one seriously p****d off racing fan destined for the Racing Post.

Rob

Participant
    • Total Posts 330

I think you will find that the current site is being pulled on Monday :evil:

Looks like I might be moving to the SportingLife tomorrow then.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.