The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Post

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Post

Viewing 14 posts - 443 through 456 (of 456 total)
  • Author
    thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Isn’t the Racing Post actually sponsoring one of the races there as well?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Hardly Santa Anita is it? :oops:

There’s something to be thankful for then.

Drone, if you’ve found yesterday’s results on the RP website, you’re a better man than me. When I click on Results > Yesterday, there’s no detail for Auteuil.

No matter, I’ve already checked them at france-galop. 8)

Just wish I had asked the question during Bruce Millington’s Q&A. An opportunity missed.

TDK, the RP is sponsoring the Prix Cambaceres – 3yo Autumn hurdling championship.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

Auteuil isn’t on the menu at the top for some reason but scroll down beyond Wincanton and there they are

• Total Posts 1800

Whilst not disagreeing with GH on this I would bet a pound that not 1 out of any 100 of the masses of daily punters up and down the lands today either knows or cares that there is some jumps racing going on in in the land of the white flag this afternoon.

I would bet another pound on the double that more than 1 of the same any 100 punters today will be aware that there is a full racecard at Sprint Valley and that the turnover on the Sprint Valley card today will comfortably eclipse the turnover for the french stuff.

Maybe the RP are basing their output on this?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Bruce – if you read this you’re the editor and should pick up on mistakes by your reporters. For the record the best ‘chaser in France Remember Rose is a HE and not as Desmond Stoneham (the RP’s French correspondent) seems to think a "she". Oh and by the way I hope he enjoyed all those cigars he was smoking in the parade ring today and handing out the prizes for the Prix Cambaceres.

The Racing Post is absolute tosh for French racing. The only sites you need other than France-Galop are http://www.geny.com and http://www.frogsracing.com – a superb site.

• Total Posts 4293

My main complaint today is that they used the headline Barbers Shop misses the Paddy Power, which conveys that something is wrong with the horse. Instead they should have wrote Barbers Shop to run in the Betfair Chase.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Various information about a race meeting appears in the Racing Post such as how to get there, who the stewards are, judge, clerk of the scales, clerk of the course etc but never the scheduled commentator.
    Is there are a reason for this? Although the commentator could change at the last minute the same could apply to the various officials and doesn’t who the scheduled commentator is appear in the racecard anyway?
    A good or bad commentator can make or break a day at the races and I’d like to know who it is in advance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Theoretically no reason why this couldn’t appear in the

, as this is information known far enough in advance by someone somewhere (the racecard printer, be that Weatherbys or someone else, at the very least). Were you suggesting knowledge of the commentator booked would ever be enough to put you off going to a meeting outright, though? I think I’d be more inclinced to use the knowledge of any such booking as added incentive to trust my own eyes that day rather than my ears.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

graysonscolumn, if having 2 or 3 meetings to choose from it could be the deciding factor.
    I can remember having to choose between Uttoxeter & Wetherby more than once with not much difference in distance to travel or quality of racing, I would have liked to know who the commentators were in advance.
    I’m still puzzled why the commentator isn’t listed in the Racing Post, would have thought it would be of more interest to the general public even if watching at home than who is the clerk of the scales etc.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

Can`t believe this Eddie. Who the clerk of the scales might be ,is top of my reasons for going 8)

R Hoiles
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10

It is because the current list is just officials of which the commentator is not one, although the information could, as has been pointed out, be sourced from elsewhere.

Happy to let you know my roster eddie so you can head elsewhere if necessary !

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Best dressed lady competetion usually swings it for me!

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

I agree! they should have names of commentator. If Tommo was commentating at Sedgefield it would sway my decision to go. I’m serious ha. Ok, yes i need to get a life…

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

I’m just trying to imagine how you would have reacted if you’d been one of those turned away at Sedgy at the free meet last week,especially if when you got there you could hear Thommo in full cry in the background on the tannoy!

Viewing 14 posts - 443 through 456 (of 456 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.