The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing Plus newspaper

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing Plus newspaper

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

It seems almost pointless to compare Racing Plus to the Racing Post as it is only published once a week, however having viewed it for the first time today it’s a pretty poor effort anyway.

The past form for each horse is basically useless giving the last 2-3 runs in an absolutely minimal format, not even telling you the winner of the race in question. Their editorial says that this is an improvement on their previous form!

The Spotlight imitations are computer generated and add nothing, the stats are arbitary and confused and racecards are in time order (which may suit some but not me).

I don’t buy a racing paper for it’s tips although their main tipster nailed their own sponsored feature putting up Naccarat (at 7-2!) and Hector’s Choice each-way. Plenty of losers elsewhere of course.

Their celeb writers (Nick Luck, James Willoughby and Robert Cooper) wrote cursory pieces that must have occupied a full ten minutes of their time and there is some sports coverage fronted by former Blackburn skipper Tim Sherwood (the link between professional footballers and successful punters being an obvious one apparently).

All in all, very ordinary and not something I’d purchase again.

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

Good, that’s the value argument done with, I’ll remember not to bother if I see it and wonder if it’s worth flicking through over a pint.

But, if you rolled it up into a whip, how many times should you be able to use it?

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

But, if you rolled it up into a whip, how many times should you be able to use it?

Well obviously I purchased the air-cushioned version so most of my strikes can be discounted on a ‘common-sense’ basis.

Mike

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

In my opinion anything that has James Willoughby in it can safely be ignored, can’t stand the man

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Haven’t seen the new look paper yet, but based on Betlarge’s detailed review sounds like not that much has changed.

The one time I bought it, it felt to me like one step up (i.e. bit more form and ratings stuff) from one of those Saturday tabloid suppliments like the Sun and the Mirror do.

Crazy Horse
    • Total Posts 23

In my opinion anything that has James Willoughby in it can safely be ignored, can’t stand the man

I’m regularly amazed at the frequency of vitriol targeted towards James on forums such as these.
    Disagree with his soundly based analysis of horse form – no problem, and I’d even be convinced if you are able to match and counter argue his reasoning in an equally learned fashion.
    I’m afraid it’s put downs and personalised attack such as the one from Phil Walker that annoy me, and yes make me switch off from TRF for spells.

Just read this, and if you don’t utter ‘you’re a better man than me, Gunga Din’ at the end, well………….

http://thefiguresneverlie.blogspot.com/2011/02/gaps-in-my-story.html

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

Crazy Horse – i like listening to Willoughby whenever i see him on tv, but i don’t think anyone should be exempt from negative comments because you are armed with a link. I don’t think Phil said anything out of order. It’s his opinion. On the other hand, in the times i’ve read any comments about the man in question, there have been many positive, which is quite an achievement within the online racing community. I myself don’t dislike anyone within the British racing media. I see no point in blasting someone for having an opinion, regardless of what they say. However, if you put up anyones name from within racing, there will be a bit of a split in the thread because racing fans are more analytical and critical than fans of any other sport out there.

Crazy Horse
    • Total Posts 23

Superman, you are, of course, absolutely correct.

Thank you and goodnight. :(

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

No need for the sad face. My comment was well natured. I didn’t intend or look to offend. I suppose things can perhaps just come across differently on a forum ?

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

Crazy Horse,

Many thanks for the JW link.

I haven’t posted here for a long time, but I thought I would drop by today and winge about the forthcoming 50% hike in the RP online price. The Racing Post header caught my eye, so I stumbled upon your post (and link) by chance.

We also have severe autism in the family and I can easily identify with JW’s heartfelt thoughts, particularly the slow dawning and the compulsion to bury ones head in the sand.

JW is a lateral thinker and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is the lateral thinkers who can unearth "Value" by pointing in directions different from the pack. I frequently disagree with his thoughts on horse racing, but he is always worth listening to in case he drops a gem of an idea that is worth developing.

Good luck to him and his son, Jossie.

JimF

phil walker
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1376

I’m regularly amazed at the frequency of vitriol targeted towards James on forums such as these.
    Disagree with his soundly based analysis of horse form – no problem, and I’d even be convinced if you are able to match and counter argue his reasoning in an equally learned fashion.
    I’m afraid it’s put downs and personalised attack such as the one from Phil Walker that annoy me, and yes make me switch off from TRF for spells.

Just read this, and if you don’t utter ‘you’re a better man than me, Gunga Din’ at the end, well………….

http://thefiguresneverlie.blogspot.com/2011/02/gaps-in-my-story.html

Willoughby annoyed me during a recent debate on the whip with Nick Luck on Racing UK, in all seriousness he said "well let’s ban jump racing". I’m sorry but saying stupid things like that makes me call him a twit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.