The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Racing League – what say you?

Home Forums Horse Racing Racing League – what say you?

Viewing 15 posts - 18 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16514

Thoughts now the Racing League has been here a while?
    A positive for me. Decent racing for 50k purses, good stables and jockeys. Plenty of transparency. Certainly angles along the lines of weight form and the draw to work on.
    With the exception of the Boundless Ocean race at Leopardstown, a cut above most of yesterday’s racing.
    If you are an owner whose trainer is struggling hand to mouth limited to low grade racing, what are your thoughts?

Participant
    • Total Posts 704

Like ‘The Hundred’, it’s money being spent on something not needed – and could go elsewhere……

Participant
    • Total Posts 8083

The on screen graphics are very distracting and unnecessary.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 909

I was watching the highlights this morning as part of my form study and I genuinely don’t know how people who bet on it have any idea which one their horse is if they have the sound turned off. I always turn the sound off so as not to have my opinion influenced by the commentator. If Gigginstown can stick 7 or 8 in the National and I can work out which one is which I don’t know how the Racing League have managed to make a field of 12 or whatever so hard to tell the horses apart. Don’t care much for the team aspect, but I will say you know they are trying because of the prize money on offer and that in itself makes the form worthy of scrutiny for races they are in outside of the racing league I would bet on.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 13000

“I always turn the sound off so as not to have my opinion influenced by the commentator.”

100% THIS^ – in fact I would extend it to all the pundits and other assorted talking heads.

Seven decent Class 3 Handicaps – what’s not to like?

Unfortunately, plenty.

Racing….is not….a team sport!

And if you think some football club managers are a bit delusional sometimes, you can multiply it by a million for the shower who mange these “teams.”

No one cares about your team and they care even less about what you have to say about them, or about anything, frankly.

Trainers at the sharp end, who think it’s their birthday if they have one good enough to run in a Class 4, getting another strong message the industry doesn’t care about them as yet more cash is pumped into an area where it isn’t needed the most.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 268

Have happily not watched a single minuite of this nonsense but the knock on effect is also detrimental as at a time when the chokker block fixture list thins out what should be reasonably in depth handicaps at the courses normally associated with quality cards, this has damaged them notably more. This is readily apparent when glancing through the five day entries for what now threatens to be an established six week period at the height of summer, every summer.

I hope and pray this dreadful ill thought out project fails abysmaly. Am not sure what the average crowds are for Brigadier Gerard evening at Sandown, or Winter Hill night at Windsor, but going back to basics and staging more traditional cards like this on midweek evenings with the emphasis on the quality of racing is surely the wisest path to take for attempting to reinvigorate genuine interest in the sport – though I fear things are past the point of no return and the game will just have to reset itself on a lower plain.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8083

“I hope and pray this dreadful ill thought out project fails abysmaly.”

Ditto “The Hundred”. Both available on terrestrial television last night. I wonder what the ratings were like?

Cancello
    Participant
    • Total Posts 268

Funnily enougn I recall reading Richie Benaud’s autobiography and for someone whom you’d expect to be an avid traditionalist, he was a big supporter of these razzmatazz formats, as he believed they maintained and renewed interestin the sport. Even if one feels no association with any of the manufactured teams, it’s still a team game and some may just relish seeing some top quality cricketers in the flesh – unlike in racing where it’s the horses that rule.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

I haven’t watched any of the Racing League, nor will I, but have managed several nanoseconds of The Hundred. Immediate and final thoughts were: what hideous colours. Dayglo magenta and lime green graphics, and oufits of shockingly bright fully-saturated hues

Warnings to the epileptic community about footage containing flashing lights are mandatory; surely they should be extended to this nonsense :yes:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2705

I attempted to watch this yesterday to show willing and ended up turning off before the end. Highlight (by far) was when Chapman (I think) managed to find some members of the public (pretty few & far between by the look of it) and asked if they were excited about the League. They replied that they were not and it’s all about the horses for them. It’s trying to appeal to non-racing people and I applaud that but I don’t think it’s achieving its objectives. It is attracting decent-sized fields but nobody is watching.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

I think it needs a two division structure of promotion and relegation

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 4406

With Chapman guaranteed relegation every year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Chapman’s team are favourites to make into the Champions League
    they will play teams from all over Europe who have their own Racing League’s

The German winners were Baden Baden Bratwurst who’s manager is former forum member Hein Bollow
    Hein said “We have put in a bid of £100 for Thore Hammer Hansen to become our top jockey”

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 8083

“Funnily enougn I recall reading Richie Benaud’s autobiography and for someone whom you’d expect to be an avid traditionalist, he was a big supporter of these razzmatazz formats.”

Not that surprising really. He was one of Kerry Packer’s main supporters.

Although that was a different era when players were very poorly paid, so I do not blame them for taking Packer’s money. I would probably have done so if offered.

TimJames
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

I found the ITV coverage of it deplorable, aimed at the ‘chavs’ or whatever they’re called theses days.

Viewing 15 posts - 18 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.