The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Quick question

Home Forums Horse Racing Quick question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

When 2 horses are carrying the same weight in a handicap, what determines who has the lower race card number?

I always thought it was then alphabetical but if you look at the 2.00 at FAK today here it seesm to be the opposite rule so can anyone enlighten (and humour) me!

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3087

<br>David,

Weatherbys conduct a ballot of equally weighted horses before the weights are published and that decides the order.

It can be important – in races with big numbers of entries, you could have five or six with the same weight and find the top two get into the race and the others are eliminated at the final declaration stage.

If it was alphabetical order, there’d be lots of low rated handicappers called Aardvark …….

AP

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Thanks AP

I don’t see why they can’t still list them alphabetically on the race-card after the ballot has take place and once the final field is known.

I’m sure Weatherbys have bigger fish to fry but it’s making a big difference to my system of backing the number 7 in every handicap – I may have to switch to number 8 in the future! :biggrin:

David

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.