Queens Vase

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2017 Queens Vase

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Gingertipster Gingertipster 1 year, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2951

Looks a good renewal this year. Had a couple of Ante Post bets on this.

First bet is Stradivarius @ 33’s E/W.

Could be a potential big improver stepping up in trip, reminds me a lot of Eagle top who won at this meeting a few years ago.

Also backed Haripour @ 16’s to win. A half brother to Harzand who has been quite disapointing in Ireland, until winning a maiden 3 weeks ago at Navan with blinkers on for the first time. Appears to of been a bit of a Weld punt as he was 33/1 a few days ago.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

I’m not too sure this is a great renewal at the moment to be honest compared to previous years, certainly not as good as last year’s (Leger winner 2nd) and I’m a bit disappointed to see the distance reduced.

Anyway, I find it hard to make a case for anything here so have plumped for Belgravia at 11/2. The trip and ground should really suit and it’s interesting that this is Coolmore’s number one in a race they had plenty entered for. Just behind Belgravia last time was Haripour who looks to be improving all the time and looks certain to relish this test. Dermot Weld never sends horses over for this meeting unless he feels they have a massive chance. 10/1 – well done snapping up the 16s mate.

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 323

Could be a potential big improver stepping up in trip, reminds me a lot of Eagle top who won at this meeting a few years ago.

Also backed Haripour @ 16’s to win. A half brother to Harzand who has been quite disapointing in Ireland, until winning a maiden 3 weeks ago at Navan with blinkers on for the first time. Appears to of been a bit of a Weld punt as he was 33/1 a few days ago.

Not sure what will happen with Stradivarius but Hugh tipped him and he’s right now at around 9/1, so you definitely got great value!

Chivers1987
    Chivers1987
    Participant
    • Total Posts 842

Desert Skyline has performed with much credit over 10f this year and is bred to be suited by this trip. Fran Berry has been on him all 5 starts for David Elsworth and he currently looks the stables big race hope this year.

15/2 is just value enough for me in this difficult race.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2951

I’m not too sure this is a great renewal at the moment to be honest compared to previous years, certainly not as good as last year’s (Leger winner 2nd) and I’m a bit disappointed to see the distance reduced.

Anyway, I find it hard to make a case for anything here so have plumped for Belgravia at 11/2. The trip and ground should really suit and it’s interesting that this is Coolmore’s number one in a race they had plenty entered for. Just behind Belgravia last time was Haripour who looks to be improving all the time and looks certain to relish this test. Dermot Weld never sends horses over for this meeting unless he feels they have a massive chance. 10/1 – well done snapping up the 16s mate.

I can certainly see Belgravia winning Charles. I backed him AP for the other race on the card, Sods law !

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2435

I love Desert Skyline for this

He will love the step up in trip for sure and has a touch of class I feel. 7/1 will do me lovely

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25862

Increasing this to Group 2 and dropping to 1m6f seems to have massively improved the quality and quantity. Too much from a betting point of view. All bar two of the 13 runners rated with a “p” or “+” in Timeform and some impeccably bred individuals. Going to be who can improve most at the trip. Who that’ll be? Too difficult for me to work out fair prices.

I’ll bbe cheering on Elsey’s!

value is everything

RacingLife
    Participant
    • Total Posts 86

Well done with Stradivarius that was some great foresight!! I backed him when Hugh put him up last night I do think it will go well – even stronger in the market now about 9.6. Weld doesn’t seem to have hit form at all this year yet but we know he can get one ready so best of luck with Haripour.

CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Increasing this to Group 2 and dropping to 1m6f seems to have massively improved the quality and quantity.

I can’t agree. In the last 5 years we’ve had 2 Leger winners, 3 Gold Cup winners! (who have also claimed 2 Goodwood Cups and a Doncaster Cup), a Chester Cup winner, a City Bowl winner, a multiple Group 1 winner in Australia and a Stayers Hurdle winner (Nichols Canyon). Even last year’s third went on to beat Forgotten Rules in a Listed race last backend. We also only have 1 runner today rated over 100 which is less than what the race usually attracted. It also attracted 15 runners in 2014 and 18 last year.

So I can’t believe this race has attracted anything better than what it usually did.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1814

Dr Olney is right. GT’s hatred of long distance flat races coming into play I think.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25862

Increasing this to Group 2 and dropping to 1m6f seems to have massively improved the quality and quantity.

I can’t agree. In the last 5 years we’ve had 2 Leger winners, 3 Gold Cup winners! (who have also claimed 2 Goodwood Cups and a Doncaster Cup), a Chester Cup winner, a City Bowl winner, a multiple Group 1 winner in Australia and a Stayers Hurdle winner (Nichols Canyon). Even last year’s third went on to beat Forgotten Rules in a Listed race last backend. We also only have 1 runner today rated over 100 which is less than what the race usually attracted. It also attracted 15 runners in 2014 and 18 last year.

So I can’t believe this race has attracted anything better than what it usually did.

Number of runners mean absolutely nothing. Most renewals of the old Queens Vase attracted a hell of a lot of dross/no hopers with owners just having a day out. You may have got one or two good horses in a particular year Charles – ie uncompetitive. On paper there’s so much potential in this year’s race; take a look at the breeding and you’ll see what I mean. Also the quality of each runner involved…

Timeform TRW figures (weight adjusted ratings put up by the last 5 Vase winners) are 124, 119, 123, 111, and 119 for an average of 119. No less than 12 of the 13 runners in today’s race are rated within 7 lbs of that 119 average… and most of those rated with a “p”. And 1 is already above 119 with 6 others rated within 4 lbs.

value is everything
    CharlesOlney
    CharlesOlney
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2050

Number of runners mean absolutely nothing. Most renewals of the old Queens Vase attracted a hell of a lot of dross/no hopers with owners just having a day out. You may have got one or two good horses in a particular year Charles – ie uncompetitive. On paper there’s so much potential in this year’s race; take a look at the breeding and you’ll see what I mean. Also the quality of each runner involved…

Timeform TRW figures (weight adjusted ratings put up by the last 5 Vase winners) are 124, 119, 123, 111, and 119 for an average of 119. No less than 12 of the 13 runners in today’s race are rated within 7 lbs of that 119 average… and most of those rated with a “p”. And 1 is already above 119 with 6 others rated within 4 lbs.

My comment about number of runners was a counter to your sentence which said the change has increased in quality and quantity.

I just don’t believe you can say this is a vastly better renewal than previous years looking at it before the race has been run. Maybe I’ll be proved wrong if a Leger or Gold Cup winner comes out of it but only time will tell.

But the main point I was making is that the race was producing top Classic and Gold Cup winners with it being run over 2 miles and so I feel they had no need to reduce it in distance just for the sake of being able to add to the number of Group 2’s they have this week.

Needless to say that I, like many, are not happy with the distance being reduced.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25862

Dr Olney is right. GT’s hatred of long distance flat races coming into play I think.

:scratch:

How did you get that impression LS? :unsure:

It’s the exact opposite.

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25862

My comment about number of runners was a counter to your sentence which said the change has increased in quality and quantity.

I meant quantity of good runners will increase with the changes. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

value is everything
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

:scratch:

How did you get that impression LS? :unsure:

It’s the exact opposite.

I think some people got the wrong end of the stick. It’s myself who doesn’t like the long flat races.

Mind you, seeing US Army Ranger in the Alexandra may make me a fan ;-)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.