The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Pronouncing Quantitativeeasing

Home Forums Horse Racing Pronouncing Quantitativeeasing

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Impressed that the only person who has to pronounce it quickly – Simon Holt, because he’s commentating – is also the only person who pronounces it correctly. (Apart from Robert Peston of course, but who wants to listen to him??)

Should be QUANTY-TATIVE-EASING. Not QUANTY-TIVE-EASING.

And why is Freddy Tylicki always pronounced Freddie TY-LIT-SKI?

Mike

Participant
    • Total Posts 7508

I

Mike

Presumably because it’s a Polish name and the Polish ‘licki’ is pronounced ‘Lit-ski’

Link to pronunciation of the surname:

http://www.forvo.com/word/jacek_tylicki/

Rob

Participant
    • Total Posts 2805

Cheers Rob, spot on. I noticed Arsenal’s Czech player Tomas Rosicky seems to obey the same rules.

By the way, Des Scahill’s hysterically funny commentary (mentioned in another recent thread) on Quantitativeeasing can be heard here:

http://www.attheraces.com/VideoConsole/?va=PUN_2009_04_28_07_1915&vaff=16

Mike

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Thanks for that link – made me, as they say, ROFL.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

• Total Posts 4

That is actually hilarious! :D

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Impressed that the only person who has to pronounce it quickly – Simon Holt, because he’s commentating – is also the only person who pronounces it correctly. (Apart from Robert Peston of course, but who wants to listen to him??)

Francome always manages to get it wrong, saying QUANTY-TIVE-EASING, including this weekend.
    Simon Holt is consistently excellent in his pronunciation (or "pronounciation" as Tanya Stevenson once said).
    My big bugbear is that many pundits, commentators and presenters seem determined to pronounce Mark Johnston as Mark Johnson.
    John McCririck managed to get it right by repeatedly saying "Johnston" on the Morning Line yesterday but Tommo, both Jim McGraths, Francome, Emma Spencer, Mick Fitzgerald and of course Tanya Stevenson insist on saying "Johnson", even to their faces when interviewing Mark or Deirdre "Johnson".
    It’s especially unforgivable from Tommo and Aussie Jim because one of their racecourse commentary colleagues is the real Mark Johnson.
    The ones who do get it right and say "Johnston" include Simon Holt, Clare Balding and Mike Cattermole.
    The worst offenders are easily Tommo, Francome and Channel 4’s Jim McGrath. Aussie Jim does occasionally say "Johnston".
    Robert Peston, with his rambling, self-satisfied, singsong voice, must be the most annoying man on television. The article on him in a Lounge thread, about his Dalek voice and how everyone at the BBC hates him, is the best read I have had for a while.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31

I’d never paid it much attention. But because every other commentator gets it wrong I heard Holt’s commentary the other day and assumed he’d added in another syllable for no reason. It actually prompted me to look at the actual spelling and I realised he was right. Hats off to him.

It’s made me think of another pronounciation. At Sandown a couple of weeks ago Al Ferof was running. I pronounce it as it spelled with an F at the end. Mike Cattermole the racecourse commentator pronounces it Al Ferov with a V at the end, and the announcer in the parade ring pronounced it AL FEROOF. I crticised the Al Feroof pronounciation but my sister-in-law said she’d always pronounced it with ROOF as the last syllable.

Anyone know the correct pronounciation?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Mike

Infuriates me, as it does connections

How about " Ingles Drever " a few years ago ?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Mike

Ty-lit-ski and Ingles are both correct.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Mike

Ty-lit-ski and Ingles are both correct.

It’s Ing-lis.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

It’s Ing-lis.

No it isn’t.

Spelling and pronunciation are different. I’m sure there’s an old thread discussing this particular case. John Inglis Drever Pottinger was a well-known Scottish portrait painter and his nephew Piers Pottinger, who originally named the horse, has confirmed that his uncle’s middle names are pronounced "In-gles Dreever".

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Impressed that the only person who has to pronounce it quickly – Simon Holt, because he’s commentating – is also the only person who pronounces it correctly.

Having just watched the video of that Cheltenham meeting, it was disappointing to hear that great wordsmith, Alastair Down, repeatedly pronounce it QUANTY-TIVE-EASING. You would think he would know better. John McCririck also got it wrong. You expect it from Francome.
    Full marks to Simon Holt, especially because he has to say it at speed and not just at conversational speed.
    Tanya Stevenson has slipped back into saying "bedding" instead of "betting" again so there really is no hope…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

i’ve checked the net and it’s both.

Spelling and pronunciation are different

Thanks for that. All these years i’ve been pronouncing trough as true :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Word is that the eagerly anticipated debut of Quantitativeeasing’s younger half-brother Hyperinflation (by Weareallinthisdeepdoodootogether) has been delayed until sometime next year, though sooner rather than later

Owner/trainer Mervyn King reports "He’s been showing phenomenal speed but falls at the first hurdle. I don’t know what to do, does anyone?"

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Word is that the eagerly anticipated debut of Quantitativeeasing’s younger half-brother Hyperinflation (by Weareallinthisdeepdoodootogether) has been delayed until sometime next year, though sooner rather than later

Owner/trainer Mervyn King reports "He’s been showing phenomenal speed but falls at the first hurdle. I don’t know what to do, does anyone?"

There’s also Recession from the same dam, but hasn’t raced yet because commentators refuse to say his bame.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.