The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Home Forums Horse Racing Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I got it from the France Galop website.

I think it’s fairly normal for the final decs to be up by 12pm French time.

Steve

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Nothing surprises me here anymore :shock:

I really should know better :lol:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Aidan – I think it’s a ‘relatively’ weak Arc as the field lacks the general strength in depth often associated with the race.

I think Authorised’s 3 length victory will justify my view. :shock:

(I have the humble pie in the fridge ready just in case!)

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I hope Authorized wins.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

It really isn’t a weak Arc.

If the big prizes had been shared out more evenly, and the individual winners of those races were all Longchamp-bound, then everyone would be comparing it (still unfavourably) to 1986.

When the 20-plus fields held sway there was an awful lot of dross (and some of it finished in the first four) – in this race there are only three horses who have no chance whatever: Dragon Dancer, Yellowstone and Song Of Hiawatha.

It makes a difference that many of the potential contenders are not running because their Ballydoyle stablemates have got the job – that way we’re missing the Derby runner-up, Irish Derby second and third, St Leger second and third, Irish Oaks/Yorkshire Oaks winner, Irish Champion Stakes runner-up.

We have two wide-margin Derby winners and the best older horse still in training, plus two high-quality French horses (add Sagara on spring reputation, if you like). It’s a great race.

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

I’m not saying the principals aren’t good. Just that the field lacks depth, perhaps because of the absence of the best older horse to have run this season plus the Ballydoyle factor Lincoln Duncan alludes to.

However, yes it could, and hopefully will, be a great race nevertheless.

volvoreta
    • Total Posts 4

A easy form to follow the Arc’s meeting and all the international races

http://www.masdehipodromos.com/CalendarResults.cfm[/url]

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Given similar ground to yesterday, this is surely a penalty kick for Authorized.
    For a horse that stays 12f well, and probably further, he has done remarkably well in 2 top class 10f races since his Derby win, and would be unbeaten for the season, and well odds-on today, had Frankie not made such a horlicks of his Eclipse ride.
    On better ground Dylan Thomas would have been a been a very real theat and should still have enough class to beat the rest of these for 2nd place. Ironically, his pacemakers look sure to set the race up for his major opponent, much as they did in Ramonti’s QE11. :)
    SOF and Zambezi Sun are well over-rated in my opinion, SOF’s Epsom Derby 5th showed how good he isn’t, and nothing he has done since changes that view. Both will struggle to gain a place.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

I’m another that doesn’t agree that this is not a good Arc. We have the best three year olds and the best older horse – Dylan Thomas. The only absentee that would’ve made the race better is Manduro.

Some will add Peeping Fawn also but good filly as she is she’d still have plenty to find with the best of the colts.

It’s better than last years race IMO and I expect the winner to run to a higher mark.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Reet

I’m really surprised that you are viewing Soldier of Fortune’s Derby run, on such an idiosyncratic track as proof of how good he may or may not be, when there is evidence, also backed up by the clock that he’s better than that, not just based on the Irish Derby, but also the Chester Vase and the Prix Niel.

Whether SoF wins today or not, I think it’s wrong to suggest the Derby run is as good as he is.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

SOF’s Epsom Derby 5th showed how good he isn’t, and nothing he has done since changes that view.

That’s right, Reet. SoF’s Derby 5th proved he’s 5lbs worse than Eagle Mountain and nothing he has done since changes that… Apart from an 18lb turnaround next time out in the Irish Derby, of course! But who needs details, eh? :wink:

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

This is the eight run of the season for Dylan Thomas and 7th group one ( i think). He might take his racing well and im not a fan of meaningless stats but has to be a real risk this will be one race too many

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

Reet

I’m really surprised that you are viewing Soldier of Fortune’s Derby run, on such an idiosyncratic track as proof of how good he may or may not be, when there is evidence, also backed up by the clock that he’s better than that, not just based on the Irish Derby, but also the Chester Vase and the Prix Niel.

Whether SoF wins today or not, I think it’s wrong to suggest the Derby run is as good as he is.

Totally agree with every word. One only has to look back to Dylan Thomas’s run in last year’s Derby to realize the folly in taking a rigid stance about one helter-skelter run around Epsom. Armed with what we know now, would anyone actually bet on Sir Percy and Dragon Dancer beating the Ballydoyle horse again ?

This isn’t a race I’d bet in because there are a few possible outcomes, in my opinion . But, as you say, SOF has put in some good performances on the clock, which make him, at this stage, a very real treat to all .

• Total Posts 1982

I was on Zambezi Sun ew at 16-1 after his unlucky defeat in the Prix Du Jockey Club. I was also on at 8-1 after the Prix Niel. I still think he holds an outstanding chance and is the one they have to beat.

He reminds me a lot of Bago who won the Arc in 2003. He also won the Grand Prix De Paris before being given a tender ride when finishing third in the Prix Niel.

There’s no reson why SOF or Dylan Thomas should reverse form with Authorized, but it wouldn’t surprise if they did. SOF has improved since Authorized beat him in the Derby but it’s folly to presume this and not believe that Authorized has also improved – he still has 8L to find.

Dylan Thomas is a fantastic horse. I’d be surprised if he finishes outside the placings.

I hope Authorized runs a big race – he has nothing to prove. Frankie needs to keep him fairly handy. Although he claimed the Juddmonte over 10F, this is his best trip and he stays 12F really well.

• Total Posts 2440

A very honest assessment from Kieron Fallon there.

Said that he has walked the course this morning and thinks that it will be too soft for Dylan Thomas to win, and that he would rather be on Soldier of Fortune, who he thinks has a better chance than Dylan Thomas today.

Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Right everyone get on Dylan Thomas :lol:

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Of course Authorized has something to prove – that’s why he’s running. Can he win the Arc like many other greats, or will he fail at the last (Reference Point etc)?

If he is stuffed, then he’s just a good Derby winner who couldn’t stretch it out. If he wins, he’s a superstar. Always something to prove.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.