The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Home Forums Horse Racing Prix de L’Arc de Triomphe

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 165 total)
  • Author
    Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Runners listed below for Arc. Weakest Arc from the past few years. Can see something like Mandesha 4th Favourite. Very disappointing turnout.

Youmzain
    Yeats
    Dylan Thomas
    Soldier Of Fortune
    Dragon Dancer
    Saddex
    Mandesha
    Zambezi Sun
    Acapulco
    Anton Chekhov
    Yellowstone
    Archipenko
    Sagara
    Authorized
    Red Rock Canyon

Can anyone see any value in the above? Yeats, if he runs perhaps?

Andrew

• Total Posts 22

I guess Youmzain is the value. I always feel he may win a big one one day. He was very decent last season.

I am lumpin’ on the Soldier big time though.

• Total Posts 2440

Will be very interesting to see how the Chapple-Hyam yard illness has affected Authorized, if at all.

He claims it hasnt, but can Authorized be the only one in the yard to not get any of the illness? ? ?

Will Yeats definately run? ? ? He has had quite a hard season i think.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Given his price on Betfair (65.00), I think it unlikely that Yeats will run.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

But really the only horses missing are Manduro and the Prix du Jockey Club winner (Who probably ain’t that good anyway)…

We’ve got the English and Irish Derby Winners, the KG winner, Juddmonte winner, Grand Prix de Paris Winner (Who probably should have won the jockey club), Last years top filly in Europe (We were never going to see Peeping Fawn for obvious commercial reasons), The Best stayer in Europe (If not the world) and there are other G1’s such as the Irish Champion stakes I haven’t mentioned.. I don’t think its an exceptional field but I deinitely wouldn;t call it weak…

I also think its probably tighter than the beting suggests between the front four..

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

we always underestimate the French runners [eg Bago] and forget that their horses are aimed at this race, so Zambezi Sun [who I was told to back ages ago at a huge price and didn’t] looks the winner to me. Aidan O’Brien makes things very difficult with not knowing which horses he intends to run, I’ve been following Yellowstone all season so am tempted to back him ew [if he runs]. Pity Peeping Fawn [this years superstar] isn’t running,

• Total Posts 2440

Havent really seen much of Zambezi Sun, anyone comment on how he likes the race to be run? ? ?

Up with the pace, slow pace, fast pace, etc…? ? ?

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Zambezi Sun was very tenderly ridden in his last race KS and will improve for the run – I’ve never actually seen any of his races, but I’m pretty sure he’s been aimed at this all year. I’m assuming that this race is going to be shown on bbc, if not it’s a trip to the bookies for me I think. mo

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Just because he’s been aimed at it all year doesn’t mean he’s good enough to win it.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

That’s true Gareth but I don’t think you could argue that he isn’t good enough.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

can’t seem to get on to oddschecker any more; the ladbrokes betting is usually pretty indicative of which horses the O’Brien team are planning to run [Peeping Fawn was taken out of their betting ages ago].

alan1
    • Total Posts 167

I don’t think this is a weak renewal. It just seems that like most things in racing and in life actually, we always look at the past through rose tinted glasses and belittle the hear and now.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Zambezi Sun remains somewhat interesting due to the fact he’s still relatively unexposed, he won the GP de Paris, and in the Prix Niel, he was apparently quite undercooked by his trainer, and tenderly ridden by his jockey.

Don’t think he can be discounted as SoF didn’t beat him very far.

Here’s one .. please tell me what SoF’s Irish Derby amounts to form-wise? Awful conditions underfoot, and a cast behind him which were very average. Firmly put in his place in the Derby, and to believe AOB saying he transformed between these races is crazy, imho ;)

Is he really rated within a pound of Authorized by Timeform?? How? :D :shock:

Andrew

• Total Posts 2440

Zambezi Sun was very tenderly ridden in his last race KS and will improve for the run – I’ve never actually seen any of his races, but I’m pretty sure he’s been aimed at this all year. I’m assuming that this race is going to be shown on bbc, if not it’s a trip to the bookies for me I think. mo

Thanks for that mate.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

I’d be interested to know what some of speed figure compilers on here make of the Irish Derby. The time was just the 4 seconds quicker than what Arc Bleu won a handicap off 74 from carrying 9 lb less.

The ground was in no way bottomless at the Curragh. Soldier of Fortune moved comfortably into the race, more or less on the bridle and then was shaken up just after turning into the straight, more or less as he was on faster ground in the Niel.

Given a thorough test of stamina, I do believe he’s well capable of a 130+ performance. Let’s hope he shows it on Sunday.

• Total Posts 2440

Soldier of Fortune may be worth a bet at 10/3.

Won at the Curragh in fairly heavy ground and beat Eagle Mountain easily to be honest.

Seems to have a good turn of foot, and i imagine he would be even faster on firmer ground.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

You people are hard to please- we’ve got the winners of both Derbys, the Grand Prix de Paris, an intersting G1 winning German horse, and a filly who won the Vermeille and the Prix de l’Opera last year. It looks a little unlikely that the King George and Irish Champion Stakes winner Dylan Thomas will get the conditions he needs- I bet he doesn’t run. Even without him I think it’s a great race and I can’t wait.
    As you know I’m in the Soldier camp too, with an interest in Saddex at a big price. I’ll say now that if Peter Chapple-Hyam wins with Authorised his training of the horse this year will have been one of the greatest achievements in the last number of years by any trainer anywhere. I’m betting this race is a race too far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 165 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.