The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Princess of Wales’s Stakes

Home Forums Horse Racing Princess of Wales’s Stakes

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Had a look at this last night. To me, Sixties Icon looks absolutely nailed on. I can forgive him his run at Epsom LTO and he looks to be just hovering just below genuine Gr1 class. However, most of the rest of the field look well short of Gr2 class while I don’t believe either Lucarno or Ivy Creek will improve past him. The bonus for me is that both Noseda and Murtagh are in flying form. I very rarely bet at under 4/1 but I’ve taken some of the 5/2 on Paddy Power (guaranteed price so if he drifts I’ll still get the SP).

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

When I looked at the race last night I have to admit to having circled Lucarno, but having seen Pricewise put him up I decided to take another look (I don’t think I have ever won when Segal has selected the same horse as me).

If Sixties Icon turns up at 90% he’ll win this pretty easily, but his run last time has to be a concern. The upturn in Noseda’s form is a good sign though, and there’s every chance the Epsom run will prove to be nothing more than a blip.

On reflection, he is probably worth chancing at 5/2.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Ivy Creek is for me definately a group 2 horse in the making. It was a good listed he won last time (despite the Geezers poor run at sandown) and he won easily with a nice turn of foot and despite drifting right across the course. If im not mistaken, hes always been highly rated by his connections

I was very concerned about SI’s last run and couldnt back him at a shortish price

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

One of the poorest Group2 races I’ve seen for a long time.

I’m not going to have a single bet in this one. If Sixties Icon is back to his best then he’ll win. Lucarno is running in only his sixth racing, open to plenty of improvement and rates the danger.

My ew Lucky 15 bet will include the enigmatic Papal Bull. Defeated Red Rocks and Sixties Icon when winning at Royal Ascot 2006, has conditions in his favour and is value at around 12/1.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Not one of the better group 2’s for sure. Sixties Icon will enjoy the faster ground and has a decent chance. My worry with Ivy Creek is whether he will act so well on the ground – his best performances have come on good or softer. I’m going with an e/way bet on Lucarno who is lightly raced and getting plenty of weight from the older horses – looks to be improving as well imo.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

Lucarno has a sporting chance, especially given the weight he receives from favourite, Sixties Icon. However, three year olds do not have a particularly good winning record in this race – although Mark Johnston’s Soapy Danger did win last year.

A race to watch I think.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

One of the poorest group2s since……. aaamh…..the Lancashire Oaks yesterday. :D

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

didnt have a bet in the race as I hadnt really had time to look at it but 11/1 seems a big price for a horse with that sort of ability in such a weak race good call bosranic, it depends what kind of mood he turns up in i guess.

sixties icon was shocking, thats two runs now. outpaced? needs further in my opinion, save him for a pop at the irish ledger.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I don’t know what the opposite of purple patch is, but whatever it is, I’m right in the middle of it!

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Brown patch?

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

I backed Shahin, DB. 36,38, 48 and 46 to win a tidy sum.

Going to take some recovering from, I think.If any of the top three had won the race, I could have understood and moved on. But not this one. I’m not very happy at all about the race.

Do you think the stewards ought to have had a word with the Barbadian over Papal Bulls’ return to form? Not uncommon for this stable. Or do the gin swiggers only wake up from their slumbers to interview the likes of Chung, Wigham and Curley?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Maxilon

Presumably your comments are tongue in cheek. Papal Bull looked on numerous times as a 3yo as if he could put a low 120’s performance together. In fact he’s probably only had to run today to a similar level as when he won at Royal Ascot last year. I’d say him coming back to form was simply a case of him fancying it today (although he still looked reluctant and wandered) moreso that he had at the back end of last year and the start of this.

Bosranic
    • Total Posts 1982

Papal Bull is a very talented horse when he feels like it. Anthropomorphic characterizations are too often exaggerated in racing, but this is a genuine example of an enigmatic horse.

The way he needs pushing along in his races, his head carriage, drifting etc are a prime indication this horse knows too much about the game. Once he got to the front he put his head down and won comfortably.

I was cursing the bloody thing 6F from home, so let me take this opportunity to apologize to the horse – you helped me win a few bob.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17718

Maxilon

Unlucky with Shahin.
    Character Papal Bull may be, but all his wins have come on fast ground, in fact his only defeat on it was in the Derby, where he was both unlucky and had problems with the course.
    His fto defeat at Newmarket this season came on good ground, and not the g/f stated in the RP form.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Sorry guys, just dummy spitting. Needed the winner for bank purposes after yet another bad run. And the Stoute yard has been my bogey stable since that old slowboat Shahrastani fluked the Blue Riband from the mighty Brave.

Points accepted.

Oh, and in case anyone thought I was aftertiming, I put Shahin up as good value in Heffo’s "Pricestupid" thread at lunch. But of course, no-one ever visits there! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.