Prince of Wales

Home Forums Archive Topics Royal Ascot 2016 Prince of Wales

This topic contains 26 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Nathan Hughes Nathan Hughes 3 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    St Nicholas Abbey
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

Hands up who picked this result? I find it hard to believe My Dream Boat will ever win another group 1. Something has to wrong with the favourite. Found ran well again but she usually finds one too good and she did again.

I didn’t pick the winner, but I was on Found each way so thought I was in for a nice payout when she hit the front. I got a little bit for her second place, but I agree that My Dream Boat will probably never win at this level again – I’m trying not to talk out of my pockets, lol.

Really disappointed with A Shin Hikari, I was hoping to see him shine. Hopefully there is a reason behind his poor performance today and it wasn’t reflective of the form (he did finish some way ahead of My Dream Boat in France last time) – but interesting what Chivers says about him being known to crash and burn sometimes.

I’ll give him one more chance before giving up on him.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20492

Roger Charlton will be surprised by the result he thought the Japanese horse was unbeatable. Well done to winning connections, a fantastic couple of days for Kirby, all weather jockey eh.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 638

I’m sorry did no one watch My Dream Boats win at Sandown earlier on in the season? Held up off the pace in last, Kirby looking Spencer-esq, cruised into the race as the others got tired up the hill and powered away with a decent turn of foot, donkeys don’t win at Sandown.

The horse finished way behind the Jap in France but easy to put a line through that, deep ground and Dream Boat was on away soil, always going to be better at home. No reason why the horse couldn’t improve again especially against a small field when allowed to sit back and do his own thing until it got serious. Not saying the horse will win every 1m2f G1 around but I wouldn’t put this down as a fluke.

Kirby has won me more money than hes lost me on the AW (and turf too for that matter) and that’s more than can be said for 99% of jockeys. He gives you a fair run for your money in almost every race he contests in and just loves to ride winners. So pleased for the man, hopefully more people can now open their eyes and realise how good he actually is now.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4526

I was pleased to see the Cox/Kirby team land a second big one but to be fair the jock nearly threw the race away when he switched his whip hand and the horse veered left.

thejudge1
    thejudge1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2254

A Shin Hikari reminds me of Helissio from a few years back.

Wins a big race in France run on soft ground by a large margin, is hailed as the second coming, is then sent off a short price in a big one at Ascot and runs dismally.

I think Ascot is a funny track and some just don’t take to it.

stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8281

Roger Charlton will be surprised by the result he thought the Japanese horse was unbeatable. Well done to winning connections, a fantastic couple of days for Kirby, all weather jockey eh.

Roger Charlton makes John Gosden look like Don Quixote.

He’s the sort of trainer who might watch Fair Eva win the Fred Darling by eight lengths next spring and then say he feels the Newmarket Guineas comes too soon and they will wait for Royal Ascot ;-)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5671

Hands up who picked this result? I find it hard to believe My Dream Boat will ever win another group 1. Something has to wrong with the favourite. Found ran well again but she usually finds one too good and she did again.

:bye:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20492

In two days BigG has gone from bottom of the G1 + G2 comp to top.
    What’s tomorrows jackpot horse mate….?

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20492

He’s the sort of trainer who might watch Fair Eva win the Fred Darling by eight lengths next spring and then say he feels the Newmarket Guineas comes too soon and they will wait for Royal Ascot ;-)

Yeah, I’m not fussed about Time Test not running as the going had gone against him but just the way Charlton was so negative about his chances at the time when the sun was out and the going was looking good. His attitude was Time Test cant win against A Shin Hikari and they would be running for 2nd place. :unsure:

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25897

Yeah, I’m not fussed about Time Test not running as the going had gone against him but just the way Charlton was so negative about his chances at the time when the sun was out and the going was looking good. His attitude was Time Test cant win against A Shin Hikari and they would be running for 2nd place. :unsure:

Charlton obviously meant if A Shin Hikari ran to form he’d be runniing for second, any horse can run below form and had the Japanese run to form he’d have won by a street. However, it certainly is not riding “soft”. Between good and good-soft imo. Although that would imo be too soft for Time Test, so Charlton was probably right. Keep him fresh for the Eclipse. :good: Bloody good trainer.

value is everything
    BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5671

In two days BigG has gone from bottom of the G1 + G2 comp to top.
    What’s tomorrows jackpot horse mate….?

I’m more comfortable with the jumps Nathan, although I do like the big handicaps on the
    flat, where I mull over the field for for an age. Generally Group Races on the flat are
    like the kiss of death to me, I tend to look past the bleedin obvious and find reasons
    for an upset, when generally, more often than not, the bleedin obvious wins. I’ve been
    doing well so far at Royal Ascot, but I expect normal service to be resumed shortly.

I’ll certainly be taking on Order Of St George, superb horse that he is, over a distance
    that it is far from certain that he will get. I’ll stick my hopeful list in to your competition
    when I’ve finished mulling them over in the morning, and kidding myself on that I know what I’m
    doing……be prepared for my bubble to burst :unsure:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 20492

Charlton obviously meant if A Shin Hikari ran to form he’d be runniing for second, any horse can run below form and had the Japanese run to form he’d have won by a street. However, it certainly is not riding “soft”. Between good and good-soft imo. Although that would imo be too soft for Time Test, so Charlton was probably right. Keep him fresh for the Eclipse. :good: Bloody good trainer.

Not sure he’d have won by a street. Is he a better horse than Golden Horn? Found beat Golden Horn over this distance.
    Over hyped damp squid imo.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.