The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prince of Wales Stakes 15/6/2011 (Group 1)

Home Forums Archive Topics Prince of Wales Stakes 15/6/2011 (Group 1)

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Well said Himself! And we are not pompous – just far superior to you!!! :wink:

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rewilding outstayed So You Think. Simple as that.

Even as a 2 year old, when trained by Andre Fabre before heading to Godolphin, his 2 races were at 8 and nine furlongs. Royal Ascot was the first time the colt had competed in a ten furlong race – So You Think’s favoured distance !

I’m not going to get into the whole European v Australia/New Zealand debate – suffice to say that Phar Lap aside, very few Australian middle distance trained thoroughbreds throughout the last five decades or so (that I know of ) can be mentioned in the same breath ( let alone compared ) to the likes of Ribot, Sea-Bird, Mill Reef, Nijinsky, Vaguley Noble, Brigadier Gerard, Allez France, Dahlia, Shergar, El Gran Senor, Dancing Brave, Zarkava, Sea The Stars, or indeed, Frankel… to name but a few.

Yes, and I include the likes of Kingstown Town, Sunline, Might and Power, Makybe Diva or So You Think. For all their antipodean heroics, I cannot put forward one who would have even troubled any of the European above.

So You Think is good horse; of that there is little doubt – but he still has to prove that he can cut it among Europe’s best.

You thought your sprinters were superior too until you had a look at ours we soon put you in your place there:):):) Yes well our trainers are a bit better at knowing a horses right distance,,they would have had Rewilding winning mile and 10f group 1’s long before this! Kingdom of Fife and Glass Harmonium really showed up one of your star trainers,Kingdom of Fife came over with a problem that wasnt obviously detected there,vet treatment and the rest is history!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You really need to pull your head in mate!

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

The fact that KOF and Glass Harmonium can achieve such success down under says it all about the quality of racing in that part of the world. They do get the odd decent runner from time to time but a glance at the Intrnational Ratings would tell all you need to know about strength in depth.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The fact that KOF and Glass Harmonium can achieve such success down under says it all about the quality of racing in that part of the world. They do get the odd decent runner from time to time but a glance at the Intrnational Ratings would tell all you need to know about strength in depth.

And where do those ratings come from:):):) You dont see our good horses getting beaten 10+ lengths when they are close to favourite like you see so often there,simple case of misjudging the fitness with so long between runs!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Bungarra
    Take heart!
    Star Witness didn’t last home today, but ran a massive trial for the July Cup – over an easier 6f, and probably on faster ground – and should do a deal better there.

ps. Rewilding was almost a second outside the course record, though mistakenly reported to beat it by a TV pundit on the day (Willie Carson, IIRC).

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

True Star Witness didnt see out the trip as well as the first 2,whether it would have been different on a good track,posssibly who knows? So backing up after 4 days he has aquitted himself well, he is a pretty decent horse but no superstar.Yes you would think they would be able to get the time right re:POW.I think a lot of people may be expecting WORKFORCE to towel up Rewilding,i think they may be in for a big shock,whilst the race played perfectly into his hands,i know 2 things, 1 he is a VERY good horse and 2 he may be able to stay,but you are not an out an out stayer when you can be within 3 lengths of the lead in a very fast run race at the 3f mark.So really anyone who suggests he is some 1 paced stayer cannot be taken seriously.

AIC
    • Total Posts 116

Kingston Town was a better horse than Dancing Brave.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Kingston Town was a better horse than Dancing Brave.

Yes AIC anyone who dares take on ‘The King’ is in for a fight:):):)Couldnt go a yard on a left handed course though still won 3 Cox Plates straight!

arcadianheights
    • Total Posts 4

I am a newbie from Hong Kong where always has the clash between euro and AUS/NZ runners.

The Aus/NZ sprinter undoubtedly is the best in the world, even those stars based in HK/Singapore, most are Aus/NZ bred(Cape Of Good Hope and Dim Sum[Formerly as Algol in UK] are rare exceptional). However, it is almost a reverse in 10-12f division. That’s why the Aus born, HK-based’s John Moore always bought horses in Euro for HK Derby and other big races.

So You Think carries every hope and expectation from down under to redeem such perception. He won G1 very easily in Ireland, beats Campanologist and Famous Name(I don’t think either of them can win the 10F G1 in GB/IRE/FR).

The first real test for So You Think in Europe is POW: SYT always sat behind the leader/pacemaker, or held in handy 3rd/4th with steady or a bit slow pace, then burst with the dash last 400 or bit more in previous runs.

However, the previous pacemaker for him, Windsor Palace was replaced by Jan Vermeer, a much much better one, which was a bit waste. He missed the break and showed his way by a furious gallop, which SYT never face before and the race become the true test of stamina. As a result, So You Think cannot keep his way in final 100 yards and being caught by a better stayed Rewilding.

I think the race show SYT is the best ever Aus/NZ 10f performer race in North Hemisphere(Better than Vengeance Of Rain in HK several years before). However, Aidan show his Achilles heel that the horse cannot stay 12f and those 10f with fast pace, also associated with longer straight in European racecourse. So You Think will face tougher opposition in later races, and he may win 1 or 2 G1 right there, but still has something to prove for his greatness in European racing.

For other horses, Twice Over and Planteur are under performance today. Sri Putra just pick the 3rd spot under such condition. Last but not least, we should pay attention the way Debussy runs.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

You make some good points,though as a few people have said Planteur and Twice over underperformed? All too convenient. As for middle distance i am still waiting for someone to tell me of a great middle distance group 1 win by a European trained horse in Australia !!! Furthermore the only top class aussies to race internationally were Strawberry Road butchered when 5th in the Arc and 2nd behind Pebbles in the breeders cup turf,the only other to go international Was Better Loosen Up when he won the Japan Cup.OK see i have some evidence that the aussie middle distance horse has always measured up,as for the rest of you dont give me opinion,give me hard evidence,put up or shut up!!! The ‘Strawb’ was quality but unfortunately when He left Doug Bougoures care he was trained by John Nicholls an Aussie trainer without much of a record,then a french and an American trainer.

arcadianheights
    • Total Posts 4

Some Information added for ref.
    1) As far as i know, other than Strawberry Road, the best performance of middle distance races in Europe was Balmerino, the runner-up of 1977 Arc to Alleged

In Asia, The Aus/Nz bred or trained Int G1 Winner in more than 9f as follow

Japan (0)
    Both Horlicks and Better Loosen Up won Japan Cup in local G1 era.

Dubai (2)
    Dubai Sheema Classic – Vengeance Of Rain-trained in HK(07), Sun Classique-trained in South Africa(08)

Singapore (1)
    Singapore International Airline Cup-Mummify(05)

Hong Kong (3)
    Queen Elizabeth II Cup – Vengeance Of Rain-trained in HK(05), Ambitious Dragon-trained in HK(11)
    Hong Kong Cup – Vengeance Of Rain-trained in HK(05)
    ——————————

The AUS G1 win by European/UAE trained Horse(10f or More)
    1993 Melbourne Cup – Vintage Crop: Irish St-Leger(G1) winner
    1998 Caulfield Cup – Taufan’s Melody: Listed winner
    2002 Melbourne Cup – Media Puzzle: Listed Handicap winner + G3 Handicap winner in AUS
    2008 Caulfield Cup – All The Good: Class 2 Heritage Handicap winner
    2010 Melbourne Cup – Americain: Prix Kergorlay(G2) winner + G3 Handicap winner in AUS

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

You really need to pull your head in mate!

Where’s that famous Aussie sense of humour?!!!

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Arcadianheights – I think that is an excellent and well balanced post.

SYT ran an absolute stormer last week and was beaten by a horse that outstayed him. You are right that other trainers will have learnt a lot from watching it and that the Eclipse will likely be run at a fast pace to try and expose those stamina frailties.

I would very much doubt we will see him contesting the top 1m 4f races and would imagine a programme of Eclipse, Juddmonte Int, Irish Champ, Champion.

I think you are also right that he might win one or two of those but, for me, Workforce will have his measure.

In summary a very good horse but not a great one I’m afraid Bung.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Austraillian racing is pittyful, I wouldn’t go watch that junk even if I had a Group 1 horse over there because it would probably struggle in a class 4 handicap in Europe.

Over rated, over hyped.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Arcadianheights – I think that is an excellent and well balanced post.

SYT ran an absolute stormer last week and was beaten by a horse that outstayed him. You are right that other trainers will have learnt a lot from watching it and that the Eclipse will likely be run at a fast pace to try and expose those stamina frailties.

I would very much doubt we will see him contesting the top 1m 4f races and would imagine a programme of Eclipse, Juddmonte Int, Irish Champ, Champion.

I think you are also right that he might win one or two of those but, for me, Workforce will have his measure.

In summary a very good horse but not a great one I’m afraid Bung.

You didn’t mention that the tactics were messed up or that moore took off before acceptances Jonibake? I just love how selective some people are on here:)Sense of humour is still here , you and a lot of other people shall need to have one when SYT beats Workforce easily,because you know we are going to remind you :wink: Seriously mate Workforce is not up to beating Rewilding,yes he is a good horse but not great.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Austraillian racing is pittyful, I wouldn’t go watch that junk even if I had a Group 1 horse over there because it would probably struggle in a class 4 handicap in Europe.

Over rated, over hyped.

Mr Wilson
    That comment is not worth taking seriously,after reading a lot of your old posts and those who posted back at you,it is easy to see you are the local TRF joke.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.