The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prince of Wales Stakes 15/6/2011 (Group 1)

Home Forums Archive Topics Prince of Wales Stakes 15/6/2011 (Group 1)

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 144 total)
  • Author
    racinglover
    • Total Posts 32

Heh, that’s rubbish Mr Wilson. Frankel/SYT is the smart bet for Ascot, anyone who isn’t blinded by an attitude of anti-SYT (I suspect driven by a disregard for australian racing) can see that a mile away. That’s not to say he will certainly win, only a die hard aussie fan would say that, but it is still a good bet.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Surely Planteur is the only horse there that can beat SYT? Better backing him at 7/2 than laying at 2/1, no?

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4457

Its a funny one for me. On the one hand I can completely understand the likes of Mr Wilson and Zarkava wanting to take on a horse who, lets be honest, has plenty to prove IN EUROPE. He has won a non event and a very weak Group 1 albeit very impressively each time. 1/2 is a very skinny price if you take the form of those two races in isolation.

Those who keep an eye on the Australian scene (I’m not one of them) would argue that he has already proved himself a superstar against good, Group 1 opposition and that he has only confirmed his brilliance since being here.

If you listen to AOB then he is the real deal but, again, many cant help being dissuaded by the fact we have heard him say those things before and there are stud values to take into consideration.

Of course there are also many other "in the know" people who are just as excited by this horse and I suppose next week will tell us what we need to know.

Personally and at those odds, I would be happy to back something else each way and I would be happy tp have a bit of fun with

Twice Over

at 12-1. You can ignore his last two runs, he has course form, is running over his A1 trip and is a multiple Group 1 winner who often doesnt get the credit he deserves. I backed him at 14-1 when he was similarly dismissed before his first Champion and I feel he will give me a good run for my money.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

"Zarkava" wrote: Surely Planteur is the only horse there that can beat SYT? Better backing him at 7/2 than laying at 2/1, no?

Is it possible to do a reverse fc double Zark? :wink:

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Not all Aussie middle distance Group races are strong but their important G1 races are pretty good, and the horses tagged as stars down under are always good horses. And of course, "best in 25+ years" horses like So You Think should be pretty decent.

With that said Planteur has come back this year as probably one of the best 10f horses on the planet. Nick Mordin rates his and Behkabad’s pre-Arc race times and sectionals exceptionally highly (very rare Sea The Stars-level ratings) which is interesting (he also has Planteur winning this).

If So You Think isn’t exceptional (I believe that he is) Planteur will expose him. Rewilding blew past Redwood in the Sheema Classic in a slow run race, and Redwood has a decent turn of foot himself so he can threaten. Can’t see him beating the first 2 though, same with Twice Over (who does look good odds).

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Surely Planteur is the only horse there that can beat SYT? Better backing him at 7/2 than laying at 2/1, no?

Is it possible to do a reverse fc double Zark? :wink:

I completely agree. I’ve been thinking about doing a RFC patent. Goldi-Canford, Planteur-SYT and Gatepost-Power. I don’t think the latter’s quite strong enough. I’m sure Gatepost will be in the top 3, but Aidan’s 2yo success recently at Ascot has been scarce. Mezmaar could finish 2nd to either. I was going to do Fame and Glory-Rite of Passage, but obviously can’t do that anymore. Possibly Await The Dawn and something else in the Hardwicke. Maybe Shumoos-Dozy in the Queen Mary. Could do the double if nothing else appeals. Not quite sure how I or anybody could lose money by doing a RFC double with Goldi-Canford and Planteur-SYT. £100RFC double, worst case scenario I imagine Canford-Goldi will pay about £3.50 and So You Think-Planteur about £3. £350 going onto 2/1 pays £1050. That’s worst case scenario I reckon. Goldi-Canford and Planteur-So You Think could pay around £4 and £4.50. Would be £1800. Could even do it on the tote if the returns are better.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Right, a RFC treble is 8 times the unit stake. Galikova-Golden Lilac, Canford Cliffs-Goldikova, So You Think-Planteur. A £25 unit stake should pay roughly £1600 at a minimum if working off a £4 forecast. Effectively 7/1. Minimum. I’m going in…

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Great start. I did a £30 unit stake so the bet comes to £240. Golden Lilac beat Galikova and the SFC paid £5.14. Therefore £154.20 now running onto either Canford Cliffs beating Goldikova or the other way, one of which I consider a total banker.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Erm, actually looks like it paid £5.80. Confused.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Your last 3 posts has nothing to do with the Prince of Wales Stakes, now that’s confusing!

:?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

You’re easily confused Mr.Wilson!

Good start for you Zark.

Avatar photoRubyisgodinthesaddle
    • Total Posts 1150

This is going to be a joke how easy So You Think beats this field.
    The French again have a real chance in any normal race but this year well lets just say wow. So You Think can not be beaten.

Possibly have a 5 fold acc.
    Frankel
    So You Think
    Fame and Glory
    Await the Dawn
    Goldikova

• Total Posts 1046

2 of those lose tho

again, So You Think has an enormous stride, lengthens and gallops…Planteur is probably the best 10f horse around, stalks, moves, quickens, wham, SYT will need to be clear because he won’t be able to respond.

great race, should be 6/4 each of 2 tho

racinglover
    • Total Posts 32

SYT can quicken too lol

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

The question is which can quicken the quickest? Or do they quicken equally quick? Should I duck ? Or is it a duck hunter quacking?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The question is which can quicken the quickest? Or do they quicken equally quick? Should I duck ? Or is it a duck hunter quacking?

I think Planteur’s goose is cooked!

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

Planteur has real push-button acceleration so he does quicken/accelerates faster. But if So You Think is a special horse, he might cover the ground faster than Planteur which will negate the fact that it takes him longer to get going.

This isn’t inconceivable because he’s not a boat, he does quicken (more obvious in bigger fields like down under) just not as sharply as Planteur. He’s shown great pace against decent milers down under. But of course SYT would need to be special to cover the ground faster than Planteur… Planteur’s form this year is absolutely rock solid, the ones behind him keep justifying the form.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 144 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.