The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Previous Grand National entries and Non runners et al

Home Forums Horse Racing Previous Grand National entries and Non runners et al

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Thought i’d start a thread so as not to disrupt the other.

In addition the the excellent recall skills of VtC i can add the following NRs

1975 Wolverhampton
    1978 Red Rum and Forest King
    1979 Tamalin and Three Gems (owned by West Tips Owner Peter Luff )i seem to recall the horse at two or even three F’s next to his name so maybe as well he was a defector.

All these appeared in the morning of the race racecards .

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

On the Plastic Spaceage front he must be one of the unluckiest non runners having also been withdrawn on the friday in ’95 i believe he used to temporarily trap a nerve. Ironically by the time the ’97 race was run on the Monday i seem to remember Jim Old saying he was sound.

Bishops Halls owners have to go down as persistent having sent the horse to the racecourse in ’94 only to withdraw, seeing him unseat/fall in ’95 and ’96 and finally seeing him run with credit in the Monday national.They must have had him down as a national horse as they also ran him as a 6YO in the ’92 Topham.

grey dolphin
    Participant
    • Total Posts 652

Bishops Halls owners have to go down as persistent having sent the horse to the racecourse in ’94 only to withdraw, seeing him unseat/fall in ’95 and ’96 and finally seeing him run with credit in the Monday national.They must have had him down as a national horse as they also ran him as a 6YO in the ’92 Topham.

Seem to remember him running around Eyton on Severn as a 14yo. Grand old horse.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Good work everyone and thanks. VtC, please don’t risk your health in your loft just for me!

I’ve dragged something from the recesses of my mind, maybe you could help with this?

I visited the Grand National Museum at Aintree about ten years ago. One of the exhibits was Peter O Sullevan’s racecard from the 1974 race. I am sure one of the names was struck through and had NR added next to it. I remember thinking this, as I was already fairly familiar with the ’74 race and has not realised there was a NR. Obviously, I can’t remember the name at all….

Also, from the non-runners we’ve already remembered, do you remember the planned jockeys? Interesting to see who missed out on a big race ride! I’ve got an idea Mick Fitz missed out on both Just So and Windy Ways.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14100

Still in one piece at the moment OA.

No Idea about the 74 race, but you’re spot on with Mick Fitz for Just So & Windy Ways.

1980 Man Alive & Wagner – Can’t remember, but I’m sure Wagner was one of Peter Pillars, so one of WA’s jockeys would seems a good shout. As for Man Alive, I know Andy Turnell rode him in 82, but he was on Churchtown Boy in 1980.

1981 Artistic Prince – Bryan Smart

1990 Sacred Path & Why So Hasty – Why So Hasty was Billy Worthington. Sacred Path was originally due to be ridden by Jamie Osborne, but on his withdrawal he switched to Against The Grain, leaving Mark Dwyer without a ride.

1994 Bishops Hall, Rifle Range. Marcus Armytage, and Simon McNeil.

1996 Plastic Spaceage – Guy Upton both years.

1997 Belmont King, Over The Stream, Master Boston – Belmont King was originally going to be Richard Johnson, but on his withdrawal he switched to Celtic Abbey, leaving Brendan Powell without a ride. Over The Stream was Adie Smith, and Master Boston was Richard Guest.

1998 Stormtracker – Mark Richards

2004 Thyneandthyneagain – Henry Oliver

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Thanks VtC. Man Alive would probably have been a favourite of mine had I been old enough to appreciate him. He was trained by Gordon Richards, wasn’t he? So maybe it was Ron Barry who missed out.

I also remember picking him for the 1982 race, but I was only six, so that was probably because i liked the name and his colour!

I think I read, probably on here, that he ran in the 1983 Topham, and managed to run out when holding a great chance. Would love to see that but 1984 seems to be as far back as Tophams online go. (apart from Inch Arran in 1973, which I assume is taken off the John Francome’s Greatest Races video)

And then he dumped Jonjo at the first in the 1984 Topham.

Wagner indeed was a Pillar horse, thinking about it, and was ridden by Ridley Lamb in the 79 race, so it’s a fair shout he was due to get the leg-up again.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Steve or was it Sam Holland should have rode Wolverhampton(collapsed and died on the morning of the race} he later went on to train and ride Golden Whin in the ’78 National.

I may be wrong on this but wasn’t Avro Anson also left in until the morning of the ’98 race.

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

I also think that if Junior runs he will be the first since Man Alive to have won on the flat,hurdles and Chases .

I remember Man Alive in the Topham he obviously had had enough i think.
    Race was won by Tiepolino who won it well i seem to remember.

I also remember a disappointing 8 runner foxhunters the same day .Does any one remember if it was Willie Mullins on board Atha Cliath .

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Oh and to add to the nerddom of this thread :lol: Andy Turnell replaced an injured Alan Brown on Man Alive in ’82

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

I have found a thread on another site (apols Corm) which contains a scan of the 1979 National racecard

http://www.finalfurlongracing.co.uk/for … 15265.html

As well as the interesting colours information, we can see:

– Honeysdad, you were spot on about Three Gems less than perfect jumping record. Reg Crank was probably glad of the reprieve!
    – Non runner Tamalin looks like he was going to be ridden by Bob Davies, who then switched to Zongalero
    – who was due to have Tommy Carberry on his back. No idea if
    that was just a jocking off or if Carberry was also injured.
    – Martin O’Halloran was down to ride Coolishall, as he had done the year before, but it was Anthony Webber who took the ride in the race. No idea why.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14100

Some blasts from the past there OA, Godfrey Secundus & Artistic Prince well old favourites.

Ps….without sending this thread off on another tangent, we’ve another thing in common apparently, been meaning to say before, I’ve been to see HMHB a couple of times……….happy days! 8)

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Following on from the scan of the 79 national card i had a spare ten the other day and tried to remember all the horses originally entered,there was 92 i think, the ones below are all the ones i can remember ,if anyone can add to the list or has the original i would find it interesting reading .

redbin
    gag 111
    party line
    carigeen hill
    silver delight
    flying orchid
    flashy boy
    duforge
    delmoss
    drumroan
    lucius
    gleaming rain
    owenius
    watafella
    vindicate
    artistic prince
    zongalero
    mr madcap
    alverton
    casamayor
    sandwilan
    so
    king con
    brown barman
    thumper
    inishowen
    bannow rambler
    timmies battle
    sea swell
    kick on
    kininvie
    wagner
    prime justice
    royal frolic
    dromore
    three gems
    tamalin
    rubstic
    rough and tumble
    rambling artist
    rambling jack
    carrol street
    matty white
    wayward scot
    double negative
    purdo
    sand pit
    kintai
    no gypsy
    godfrey secundus
    ben nevis
    the champ
    grand canyon
    mr snowman
    brown admiral
    churchtown boy
    lord browndod
    red earl
    the pilgarlic
    coolishall
    cartwright
    alpenstock
    never rock
    guiding star
    gay spartan
    canit
    billycan
    buddy burke
    the bo weavil
    flitgrove

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 144

Just had a look at that 1979 National racecard. Alverton was absolutely thrown in, wasn’t he? What had he been doing before winning the Gold Cup?

Also note Royal Frolic at the head of the weights. Have there been any Nationals since with two Gold Cup winners running? Maybe some time in the 1990s.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14100

Kifill, 1995 had 3, Master Oats, Cool Ground, and Garrison Savannah.

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 144

Ah yes, 1995, the year four of the first five in the Gold Cup lined up. And the quality of the field is supposed to have gone up since then???

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Have to commend Honeysdad on his (I assume his!) memory on the 79 entries. Lots of new names to me there. One of which was Grand Canyon, who has also now tunred up on Youtube in the 1979 King George. Anyone remember anything about him?

honeysdad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Have to commend Honeysdad on his (I assume his!) memory on the 79 entries. Lots of new names to me there. One of which was Grand Canyon, who has also now tunred up on Youtube in the 1979 King George. Anyone remember anything about him?

He won the Colonial Cup i think a few times looked very smart when he came over here but injury got in the way.

His owner Basil Samuel ran Purdo and So and So in the National so i presume Grand Canyon would have run as well had he been fit.

Must have spent all my time thinking about racing when i was at school because i can remember quite a few of the Foxhunter and Topham runners from 79 as well. :oops:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.