The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Prestbury Cup – how many will UK get?

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham Archive Cheltenham 2024 Prestbury Cup – how many will UK get?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

I’m not massively bothered by the Prestbury Cup to be honest but for what it’s worth I can see an absolute bloodbath this year at the festival, particularly in the graded contests. There’s just no depth at all to our graded divisions where we’re behind Ireland anyway with the exception of Constitution Hill. The novice chasers mostly look a mediocre bunch, the novice hurdlers are basically handicappers. Maybe I’m being too harsh. We could pick up a few handicaps I suppose. Sir Gino looks fairly solid but that division is very unpredictable and something could grow another leg on the day. Could it be as bad as 2021 when we got 5 on the board?

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

I don’t see the point in it and have zero interest in who wins it. I understand there is rivalry between Great Britain and Ireland but this isn’t a team event played out for these two nations so I don’t get it.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

It was always amusing when a horse owned by JP McManus, trained by Jonjo O’Neill and ridden by either Barry Geraghty or Derek O’Connor was chalked up as a win for Britain.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

To be honest as I said originally I’m not too bothered but it was going down through the Grade 1 winners this season in the Uk from the UK bar Constitution Hill and Jonbon that it really hit home how bad its got:

Royale Pagaille
    Not So Sleepy
    Le Patron
    Crambo
    Jango Baie
    Captain Teague
    Elixir Du Nutz
    Nickle Back

And the fact Hewick came over and took the King George too.

Great for connections of those horses and I don’t want to put them down too much they’re grand horses in their own right but I can’t recall a worse list of Grade 1 winners

Participant
    • Total Posts 2028

I hate the whole concept of the Prestbury Cup; at least we don’t see tricolours waved any more

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

One thing you can guarantee is that no matter which horse wins the first ITV will state that’s one up for the Irish/British even though it isn’t a team event. The whole Prestbury Cup idea is ridiculous.

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 12999

I wouldn’t care if any winner is: owned by Putin, trained by Trump and ridden by Johnson (presumably defying considerable overweight) so long as I’ve backed it.

If every winner is Irish trained but bet on by this English bloke, I’ll be happy.

I am "The Horse Racing Punter" on Facebook
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Ian_Davies_
    https://www.facebook.com/ThePointtoPointNHandFlatracingpunter/
    It's the "Millwall FC" of Point broadcasts: "No One Likes Us - We Don't Care"

worzelwaywardlad
    Participant
    • Total Posts 204

Agree with everything that’s been said, we just want to see good competitive racing.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

Anyone found to have any ounce of passion for the Prestbury cup should be immediately taken away by the men in white coats and put in line to sign up for conscription

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 4675

At least we’ve avoided a whitewash. 🍾

Marlingford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1611

I’m going to go somewhat against the grain here and say that I am interested in the outcome of the Prestbury Cup.

Not in the sense of having any patriotic interest in the outcome, but in that it gives an indication of the health of Jumps racing on both sides of the Irish Sea. A very one-sided result in either direction strikes me as a cause for concern.

There are plenty of other indicators that tell the same story of course, but I like how it provides a simple snapshot.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

6-1 after Day 1, with the Ultima coming to Britain’s rescue once again.

TheTinMan87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1030

I hadn’t factored in Nicky’s horrendous form when I forecast a big Ireland win. It’ll be far worse than I envisaged. Even Sir Gino has to be opposed at the moment, particularly as Ireland filled the first 5 home in the Boodles and the horse Sir Gino beat albeit easily was well held in 6th I think. I reckon something like 24 Irish winners isn’t unrealistic.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

7-1 now, with a talked up British graded race winner beaten out of sight.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

8-1. With the great British hope stuffed out of sight.

Nice run by Giovinco, though.

Avatar photoHe Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5935

As a Corach backer his run was encouraging

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1735

The plucky brits win the handicaps at least. Quite scary when the Irish have the top three and four in top grade one races.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.