The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Premier League to stage games overseas.

Home Forums General Sports Premier League to stage games overseas.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Just caught a bit of a radio report suggesting the Football League are considering staging 20 Premier league games overseas.
    Okay – it’s a bit tough on the native fans who might not be able to get to Peking or Hong Kong or Los Angeles or wherever, but my first thoughts are it’s a great idea.
    Anyone else any opinions?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

You beat me to it (starting a thread that is) Insomniac.

I think it could be a good idea also, but obviously the major concern at this stage is how do they work out who plays who on this one of fixture?

I’m also very very surprised that all twenty Premier League clubs ‘unaminously’ went for the idea, considering every year most of the managers of these clubs complain about having too many games to play :shock:

Amazingly they are all now agreeing to travel around the world in mid January (just after the busiest time in the football season) to play a fixture. Evidence if you ever needed it of money talking :D

Mike

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Amazingly they are all now agreeing to travel around the world in mid January (just after the busiest time in the football season) to play a fixture. Evidence if you ever needed it of money talking :D

Mike

Exactly Mike – it’s all about money. I too am baffled about how they are going to decide who plays who in the extra fixture and how can it be seen as fair.

Do Uefa have to approve it if this idea goes ahead? If they do then forget it. Uefa want the number of clubs reduced in the Premiership so that there are less fixtures and this idea is going to go down like a lead balloon with them……also what happened to that winter break from soccer that the clubs were talking about. What about jet lag and how will the International managers feel about it if they have games in or around the same period.

I read that the games will be played as far apart as Australia, USA and Asia. Ok there will be alot of interest in the Man Utd & Arsenal etc games but I just can’t imagine thousands of australians or americans rushing out to buy tickets to watch games such as Fulham v Blackburn ( the asians might as they have great enthusiasm for the Premiership especially if there is a betting opportunity on it )

The format of the league tables will have to change as the games will be neither home or away :)

My own view is that it will not proceed and if it does then it will only benefit the big clubs but that will be nothing new.

Pete

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

When the history of football in the 21st century is written, this will be described as the moment when the English game cut away the last moorings of reality and floated off into space.

As Swallow Cottage pointed out, who the hell is going to want to watch Fulham against Blackburn in Singapore or Peking? I’m an English football supporter and I’d still rather watch paint dry.

Whether people like it or not, football clubs come from local communities, they are anchored to a history and an area. You start messing with that link and you destroy the basis of the game in this country. Feeling about this is so strong that fans would rather set up their own team in the basement league than see that link destroyed (eg Wimbledon).

And let’s get this absolutely clear, there are only perhaps four English football clubs that can survive as businesses alone, that is, on their worldwide reputation and ‘brand’. Man Utd, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool. Everyone else depends entirely on Sky money and gate money. If those four want to become ‘world’ clubs, let them piss off and get on with it. For the rest, it is the height of folly to believe that they can cut themselves adrift from their own supporters and rely on short term deals with broadcasters and sales of T-shirts to China to keep themselves afloat.

And if going where the money is is what football is all about, then frankly, I don’t care about it anymore.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I think it could be a good idea also, but obviously the major concern at this stage is how do they work out who plays who on this one of fixture?

According to Mihir Bose on Five Live, there would be a top 10 and bottom 10 seedings, the idea being that the big guns would avoid each other. The matches, and the venues each on takes place in, would be drawn entirely at random, so there is no question of the Chinese market, for example, demanding Man Utd versus Liverpool and getting it.

I’m also very very surprised that all twenty Premier League clubs ‘unaminously’ went for the idea, considering every year most of the managers of these clubs complain about having too many games to play :shock:

…and this would indeed be a 39th league game of the season, rather than a decrement by one of each team’s home or away allocation of fixtures.

Money and berks. Richard Scudamore was interviewed on Five Live as well, and claimed that the adventures that go-to-every-game fans will experience in following their team to the USA, UAE, wherever, shall far offset any disquiet at the expenditure of time and effort to get to these locations. Spoken like a man not living by limited means…

Jeremy
    (graysonscolumn)

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Money and berks. Richard Scudamore was interviewed on Five Live as well, and claimed that the adventures that go-to-every-game fans will experience in following their team to the USA, UAE, wherever, shall far offset any disquiet at the expenditure of time and effort to get to these locations. Spoken like a man not living by limited means…

Indeed this was one of the reason I gave (to my mates in the pub obviously) for my opposition to Wimbledon moving to Dublin. Who wants 20,000-30,000 English football "fans" traipsing around their back yard every 2nd weekend.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

Its a horrible idea. Absolutely awful…

If you were a season ticket holder and a devotee of your club, the idea that the actual deciding match will be played in sydney is a real slap in the face. Yet more evidence that the game is losing its soul. The more i see of this ugly game, the happier i am i stopped attending

Aside from the the pathetic whoring of the sport, the very fact that the decding match between say Arsenal and Man utd, could result in Man Utd being drawn Spurs and Arsenal being drawn Derby tells you all you need to know about how bankrupt this suggestion is

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Let’s get something straight from the kick-off. Football (especially Premier League) has been mostly about money for some years now. Going down this playing abroad route is not going to make a whore of a virgin: it’s already a whore.
    The practical problems (e.g. fixture congestion, keeping the home fans happy etc. can all be, if not totally resolved, at least eased).
    How?
    First of all, I’d say the idea of making these fixtures "extra" – 39th games is wrong.
    The random draw of matches should be made before the season starts, so let’s say that Arsenal are paired with Blackburn for the "international" game. Then that should mean the game that would once have been played as a home match at the Emirates, would now be a "home" game for Arsenal that is in reality played overseas. Okay, so the "home" team loses home advantage, but tough titty; perhaps the PL will give them extra dosh. This would mean no extra games for teams to play; just more miles to travel.
    Fans. If your club has one of its fixtures drawn to be played overseas, then obviously season ticket holders should be charged less. Also, add in a few things like season-ticket holders going into a draw for a few hundred free trips including hotel accommodation to the overseas fixture plus giant screen viewing of the match at the real home ground (free entry of course) might mollify a few seething fans.
    This is going to happen. Is it going to be the English, Spanish or Italians that grasp the nettle first?
    The objections to such a change in the Leagues reminds me of the old-hats in racing decrying the introduction of starting stalls; female jockeys; all-weather tracks; The Breeders Cup. And like the Breeders Cup, we’ll all love it after a few years.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

quote=”insomniac”]Let’s get something straight from the kick-off. Football (especially Premier League) has been mostly about money for some years now. Going down this playing abroad route is not going to make a whore of a virgin: it’s already a whore.

Good post Insomniac and you have raised some interesting points. I cannot disagree that the money men have come to rule football in the last few years and the game has become more of a business than it was 20 years ago. This is probably why I am not in love with football anymore and the main reason I follow it nowadays is for betting purposes. The problem here is that the moneymen may have gone a step too far and could risk alienating the supporters.

quote=”insomniac”]

I’d say the idea of making these fixtures “extra” – 39th games is wrong.
    The random draw of matches should be made before the season starts, so let’s say that Arsenal are paired with Blackburn for the “international” game. Then that should mean the game that would once have been played as a home match at the Emirates, would now be a “home” game for Arsenal that is in reality played overseas. Okay, so the “home” team loses home advantage, but tough titty; perhaps the PL will give them extra dosh. This would mean no extra games for teams to play; just more miles to travel.

This makes a lot more sense than the present idea of playing 39 games and your ideas about trying to keep the fans happy are reasonable ones. It is still an unfair way of operating a league though.

quote=”insomniac”]
    This is going to happen. Is it going to be the English, Spanish or Italians that grasp the nettle first?

I wouldn’t be confident at all about that. The Japanese have already expressed doubts and other countries may follow. As I said in my earlier post, don’t Uefa or Fifa have to approve this? If so then I think it’s unlikely that they will do so. Also as I mentioned before I don’t think that many countries are really going to be interested in showing the less interesting Prem games ( unless they play all the games in China ) especially as some of these games may be played in the afternoons on a weekday when people will be at work. The asian interest in the Prem is mainly because of the big teams. I’m also a bit confused about the television rights which Sky presently have. I have read that the Prem league want to do this to make more money from the tv rights for the matches. How will they make extra money if Sky have them and are paying them for it ?

quote=”insomniac”]

The objections to such a change in the Leagues reminds me of the old-hats in racing decrying the introduction of starting stalls; female jockeys; all-weather tracks; The Breeders Cup. And like the Breeders Cup, we’ll all love it after a few years

Don’t agree with your analogy here at all Insomniac. Lots of racing fans hate the all weather racing and the Breeders cup :)

All the best

Pete

Danny
    • Total Posts 790

My problem with it would be how would the matches be decided? Theoretically the title race could go down to the last game of the season with say Arsenal being 1 point ahead of Manchester United, It wouldnt be fair if 1 team played for example Derby with the other team having to play Chelsea or Liverpool. The FA could effectively choose who they want to win the league.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

The more I think of it the more it becomes a ridiculous idea.

At first, I thought it would be great for the fans (the fans in Asia etc that is) but there are some factors that seem impossible to understand.

1. How would the fixtures be decided?
    2. Which country would get which games?
    3. How many Autralians want to see Wigan v Middlesbrough?
    4. What if Arsenal win the title by one point, with this extra fixture seeing Arsenal v Derby while Man Utd played Chelsea?

It just all seems barmy.

However, thinking ahead, if there is a massive pot of gold to be had by sending our teams overseas, then why not think of something more sensible.

1. Reduce our Premiership to 18 teams, meaning 34 fixtures a season instead of 38. This should free up some fixtures dates.
    2. Compound these ‘extra’ fixture dates to a two week break towards the end of January.
    3. The top eight teams in the Premiership, (either at a given time of that season or from the end of the previous season) qualify to go and play overseas.
    4. The eight teams fly out to Asia or wherever they want to go. Saturday they play four quarter-finals, Wednesday they play two semi-finals, Saturday they play a final.

This way, the overseas countries get to see the teams they want to see (Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and the likes of Spurs and Everton more likely) and not Boro v Wigan.

It also means there is no confusion with regards to fixtures – the top team in the Premiership plays the 8th placed team, the 2nd v the 7th, the 3d v the 6h and the 4th v the 5th.

More importantly, these games overseas don’t interfere with the Premiership competition, yet they are still competitive games with a cash prize structure to ensure they are no played like some pre-season friendly.

Bobs your uncle :D

Mike

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

yep Mikky – your suggestions are already an improvement on the original – 39th game – idea.
    To counter the unfairness that might follow the 39th game way, why not simply play 36 games in England and two overseas. Do the draw for your overseas fixtures at the start of the season. Seed the draw so that no top half seeded teams meet one another. Thus the 2 games between, say, Arsenal v Sunderland or Man Utd v Fulham would both be played overseas. The second games being at different venues from the first thus allowing fans in different countries the opportunity of seeing more English sides.
    So, you might say, who’s going to get worked up at the prospect of seeing Portsmouth v Derby in Cape Town or Hong Kong? Simple resolution. Play 2 games on the same day at the same stadium. The fans buy a one-off ticket for both games, the less attractive fixture bing played first. Thus Portsmouth v Derby at 11:00 followed by Arsenal v Sunderland at 13:00.
    There are lots of ways around the problems and concerns that people have raised. Unfortunately the authorities don’t seem to have pre-empted them and have come out with the 39th game plan which was bound to get flak.
    It’s like having a top class 12f horse in your stable but running the benighted buggar over 5f. The Premier Legue have got a great idea but have launched it on an unfeasible premise – ie a 39th game.
    It’s still a top idea though and one which should be given a chance in a better format than that proposed.
    Why are the Luddites in EUFA / FIFA and other footballing organisations with varying acronyms opposing it?
    Don’t believe all this cr@p about "unfair to fans" and "integrity of League finishing positions" etc.
    They are simply scared sh*tless that English football (that is the English Football "business" rather than the national team) is going to become too dominant worldwide.
    If Platini, Blatter and co. were English they’d be applauding the idea.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

Do the draw for your overseas fixtures at the start of the season. Seed the draw so that no top half seeded teams meet one another.

That was actually one of the initial proposals, although tellingly it was proposed not on the grounds of fairness to the teams, but to stop any of the countries trying to get – and getting – two of the better teams.

I think the Chinese had already brought pressure to bear to ensure they’d always get two of the Big Four playing each other. They’ve been told emphatically that this won’t be happening.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Essentially I like the idea of playing games around the world, although the current proposal is a shocker.

The integrity of the league season as a fair competition relies on each team playing every other team once at home and once away. Anything which changes this is a nonsense as far as I’m concerned and I don’t think the fans would buy it (as if that matters much).

My variation to keep things fair would be…

1. Random draw well before the start of the season pairs teams up.

2. The two league games between these teams will BOTH be played at a neutral venue abroad.

3. These could be played back to back a few days apart in two different venues within the host country.

4. These games could be played within a 2/3 week ‘winter break’ around the middle of January, killing two birds with one stone.

It’s easy, n’est-ce pas?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.