The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Poor treatment of small trainers!

Home Forums Horse Racing Poor treatment of small trainers!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

I see today Niche Market has moved from Bob Buckler’s yard to Paul Nicholls. The owner (Graham Regan) said he has done it because Nicholls has lost Big Fella Thanks & he thinks the Champion Trainer will be the best person to get this horse ready to win the Aintree Grand National. He’s obviously going on Nicholls great record in the race.

I have to say I find it disgusting the way some owners treat the smaller trainers. Buckler has done very well with that horse getting an Irish Grand National out of him and this is his reward. It was a great training performance to get that horse to win an Irish Grand National.

I remember thinking the same when Wayne Hennessey moving Sublimity to his son Robert from John Carr after he won a Champion Hurdle for him. (Slightly different I know but poor treatment of Carr regardless)

How can small trainers expect to break through when owners are so fickle in light of proven top level success?

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

How can Everton expect to win the Premiership when Wayne Rooney wants to play for Manchester United?

Buckler trains 10 winners a season, Nicholls trains 10 a month. Is it really disgusting treatment?

bagnallc
    • Total Posts 132

I dont think its any different to any other business of sport. Thats life i guess.

I do know what you mean though and on this occasion am slightly disappointed with the decision as having won the Irish, i fail to see why the owner felt the need to move it as clearly Buckler was doing something right.

• Total Posts 661

Smithy is right.

Your son might be doing great at youth level for Scunthorpe, but if there’s a chance that you can move him to Man Utd, and that they will get even more out of him, then it’s a no-brainer.

Unfortunately it’s just the way of the world.

Participant
    • Total Posts 441

)

How can small trainers expect to break through when owners are so fickle in light of proven top level success?

Well, I have been with Peter Bowen since his point to point days,and now have 10 there. I know Paul Nicholls and have the greates respect for him. But when it comes to genius I think theres plenty at Yet-Y Rhug.

bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

How can Everton expect to win the Premiership when Wayne Rooney wants to play for Manchester United?

Buckler trains 10 winners a season, Nicholls trains 10 a month. Is it really disgusting treatment?

And Francis Jeffers skipped off to Arsenal from Everton & I bet he wishes he never saw the sight of London.

It doesn’t always work out and as pointed out Buckler has had success with Niche Market. Shocking treatment of someone who has won over €250K in prize money with the horse.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

He won an Irish National with Niche Market, but managing to get 2 wins from 20 races with a 150 horse might not be seen to be such a grand achievement?

bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

He won an Irish National with Niche Market, but managing to get 2 wins from 20 races with a 150 horse might not be seen to be such a grand achievement?

Depends what you want as an owner? An Irish Grand National winner will be remembered for a lot longer than a horse racking up plenty of handicap races.

Nicholls got 6 wins from 15 races out of Silver Birch but I’m sure he’d swap tell all for the 1 race than Gordon Elliott won with him?

• Total Posts 2432

Football isn’t a great example. Rooney went to Old Trafford for £20 million – a compensation payment which in 2004 allowed Everton to rebuild.

In horse racing, a horse moves to a bigger yard and most of the time, it isn’t replaced, reducing the capacity of the host stable to recover. What compensation will Buckler receive?

It might not be disgusting treatment but horse moves like this leave a bitter taste.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

I’m afraid he who pays the piper calls the tune, I’m sure other owners will have noticed though how well Bob has done with the horse.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hang on a second the owner pays the bills and therefore can have his horse anywhere he likes. He has no reason to be loyal to a trainer if he feels he can get better elsewhere.

Do you buy your second car from the same dealer you bought your first???

bhigg27
    • Total Posts 107

Hang on a second the owner pays the bills and therefore can have his horse anywhere he likes. He has no reason to be loyal to a trainer if he feels he can get better elsewhere.

Do you buy your second car from the same dealer you bought your first???

If I got a decent deal off the dealer I might. The point is Buckler has done very well with that horse and won the owner more than €250K. More than enough to cover his bills for the rest of his training career.

The owner has stated his sole aim for moving is to win the Grand National. The Champion Trainer has a terrible record in the National, which must rub further salt in wounds of Buckler.

I’ve just no time for it. Training is a seriously tough business and Buckler instead of being rewarded for his success with the horse, seems to have been punished. Fickle.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

Not that great a surprise when you note who has ridden Niche Market in both his wins – Harry Skelton.

Conditional jockey attached to – oh that’s right, Paul Nicholls.

Brother of Dan Skelton, assistant trainer to – oh that’s right, Paul Nicholls.

AP

• Total Posts 2432

It’s a far more brutal game than football, horse racing. Loyalty only stretches so far, it seems, and with the amount of luck you need to survive in this game, one false move it can be all over.

Take Nick Littmoden. Three shocking seasons have seen him lose three quarters of his horses, including all the Franconson animals to Jeremy Noseda – shades of "Trainer" for those old enough to remember that – and stable stalwart/pet Orpsie Boy, moved three weeks ago to Mrs Carr by Vanessa Church. Many staff have left too.

His horses have run 56 times this year – at one time, he would have run that a month. So it was fantastic news to see him land two wins in two days – tripling his annual score – and while a swallow might not make a summer, I hope he can do a Phoenix impression and prove a few people wrong.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

And given what Sarasota Sunshine and Group Therapy have done since, it looks like we’ll be on to a profitable system. I think Littmoden hs wound down his training career to pursue other interests in the sport.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

The winning owners were interviewed after the race today and they felt that Nicks’ fortunes were about to change with some nice horses to run over the coming weeks/months.

Didn’t realise Orpsie Boy had been moved.

Love Divine
    • Total Posts 198

I was told last year, by a reliable source, that Littmoden was deliberately down sizing, so perhaps some of the losses were deliberate?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.