The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

poor refereeing

Home Forums General Sports poor refereeing

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

so far in the first half the referee has disallowed a perfectly good arsenal goal and allowed an offside middlesborough goal

it’s crap officialdom like this that can cost the title of maybe the biggest league in the world

jockeys get banned for poor work, normal people get sacked, this clown will be refereeing again next week

this game is a perfect advert for the introduction of tv replays and video decisions, they can do it in cricket and rugby, why not in football

:evil: :x

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Totally agree. It bloody makes me mad that there are no replays for some things. WHY?

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

robbed of 2 points and just to make sure the ref allowed a minutes break in extra time and blew the whistle before the end of extra time to stop arsenal taking the corner they’d just won

never has there also been a better advert for the phrase "the ref is a w*nker"

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Leave the poor old referees alone. They have a hard job… :roll: even

though most of them haven’t a clue. :

True story : I once attended a Celtic v Aberdeen game in the late 90s and was astonished to see an old school friend of mine running the line. He flagged Celtic players offside an inordinate number of times during the match ( much to our chagrin) and generally had a very poor game.

Not in the least surprising to those who knew him, because he absolutely hated football at school and continued to loathe it well into his twenties. No interest in it all. So, when I met him months after this particular match, the question had to be asked. How the heck did he get to become a referee/linesman in the professional game… and why? :?

He said his mate had suggested to him that he should give it a go as he felt he had the qualities (?) to succeed, so he thought … why not, and gave it go. So a few years later, and after reaching grade 1 standard, he found himself officiating at Celtic Park. The worrying thing was that the guy didn’t have a scooby about football prior to this and hated playing the game – and we wonder why most of them are so incompetent.

Needless to say, a year later, he got bored ( so he says) and gave it up. Probably got sick of being roared at by irate fans. :lol:

I wish a few more of them would give it up.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Totally agree with sberry. Why won’t fpotball take advantage of the technology that’s now available as other sports do? What argument can be made against doing so?
    Also agree that the ref in the Arsenal games was v. poor.

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

With technology you can’t cheat.

Todays CIS cup final between Rangers and Dundee Utd was a great spectacle but the referee tried his best to spoil it, it happens too many times in games for it to be a coincidence.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Jim, I’m very surprised that you as a Rangers’ fan are having a go at the standard of refereeing in the CIS Cup final! (Although I guess that helps hit home the point of this thread!)

Jim JTS
    • Total Posts 841

I am a realist Friggo and the ref tried his best to spoil the game, it was quite possible Dundee Utd were denied a penalty in the game when they were 1-0 up and wee Burkey was being pulled back everytime he tried to get down the wing and no fouls were given, the ref missed a lot of things and I’m only glad we got out of this game with the cup heading back to Ibrox, it was a great game and a close call but until the latest technology comes into the game the game won’t improve. I can’t understand why it only seems to be football that is knocking back the latest technology.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Dundee Utd were robbed. :(

Sour Grapes ? You bet. :P :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Authorities in all sports, notably football and cricket, have to decide what the future is. If it is that technology is used to determine all major decisions and referees/umpires are just there to keep the peace on the field, then let’s crack on with it. However, if they don’t want that for the forseeable future, then they should come out and say that as it stands at the moment, the referee’s word is final and if there is any complaint from any manager they will be slapped with a massive fine and a charge of bringing the game into disrepute. People should be told that there will be blunders, human errors, indeed great big whopping mistakes but that is the nature of the sport and if they don’t like it, tough.

At the moment, referees and umpires are running a 19th century system without the respect that they were entitled to at that time. The removal of Steve Bucknor in the Australia/India series and the disgusting bleating of Ferguson/Quiroz after the Portsmouth game are two examples of how the sport is being run by the participants. The FA should get fully behind referees until such time as they are prepared to implement full technology.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

graham poll says that clubs should be docked points if players show dissent, as has happened in some recent games

i wonder what he thinks his fellow refs should be docked if they cock-up, costing a team not just a win but maybe a championship ?

if 4th referees and video replays could be used then not only might we get better decisions, players might just be less likely to play the clown for fear it could lead to instant penalties rather than a bit of studio censure from a pundit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.