The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Poll: Brown or Cameron?

Home Forums Lounge Poll: Brown or Cameron?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Just a question to forumites:

Who would you rather be our Prime Minister? Gordon Brown or David Cameron? Looks like it will be the choice in the next election.

Apologies to Ming fans :)

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

I think David Cameron is the wrong type of leader at this time.

He is clearly in the smooth-talking, well spun, quite young, almost trendy Tony Blair mould. Blair was very popular for a long time but the public are now fed up with this ‘model’ and I think they want something different.

Whether Gordon Brown will be everyone’s cup of tea is a different matter, but Cameron is (at the moment) not shaping up that well for me.

(Really, this is a Tory -v- Labour vote so by elimination the choice is made for me, but the issue that will decide things is whether Brown can make ‘his’ labour seem like a different party from Blair’s labour. If he can, there is a real chance that Cameron and his cronies will blow their chance, which ought to be a penalty kick…)

Meshaheer
    • Total Posts 486

Cameron irritates me – some days he talks sense and other days he comes out with all the PR gimmicks under the sun.

I guess it could be construed as Labour vs Conservative, although then again I don’t think many of the "old guard" from either party knows what their parties stand for anymore….

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Just taking today’s nonsense as an example…

Cameron has a report compiled by erstwhile hopeless baldy IDS.

The key findings are pure Back-to-Basics at their most condescending – let’s make things better by giving poorer people some money so they get married and stay married. Talk about old guard…

Then he delivers it with all the panache and enthusiasm of a wet lemon and the only feedback I’ve heard anywhere about the proposals are negative.

This appears to be the wrong message, delivered in the wrong way, and saying very little to anyone. Who’s going to be talking about it in a week’s time?

Shocking! And that’s without even looking at the flawed cause-and-effect analysis behind this proposal…

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

In fairness to IDS NV, I think he cares, but he just doesn’t know how to help poor people or those in a desparate situation. It’s hard keeping your family together when you’ve got nothing and the place is over run with druggies and scumbags, especially if you see your own getting dragged into it.

I don’t prefer either of them Mesh .. they are both non-entities, NuLabour have been in too long though and they need kicked into touch for a bit. I think we’ll have a hung parliament after the next election, so it won’t really matter.

If IDS wanted to help poor people he want sort out the drug problem in this country which sucks communities dry of money and the will to live.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Fair points Dave – drugs is a key issue and someone should start looking at more creative/innovative resolutions rather than wiping up the mess…

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If IDS wanted to help poor people he want sort out the druproblem in this country which sucks communities dry of money and the will to live.

Which drug problem are we talking about though, Davros?

The one where rich kids hoover up coke on their way to the next party, and which doesn’t prevent them from playing a full part in society?

The one where middle-aged (nearly!) old stoners like me, have the occassional toot in the confines of their own home?

Or the one where the poorest kids, having no prospects whatsoever, turn to all manner of intoxicating substances, to provide momentary relief from their humdrum existence?

IDS has no credibility, because he doesn’t understand the differences between these groups, and is still an advocate of zero tolerance. I find it quite nauseating when Tories rattle on about the underclass, when it was those f*ckers that created them in the first place.

To answer Mesh’s question, I’d rather neither was the Prime Minister – as both are completely ‘Establishment’. I suppose it’s early days for Brown, and he might still surprise us (100/1 chance, in my book) but you still seem to be under the impression that there is actually any meaningful political differences between the pair.

There isn’t.

Both will let the market decide, both will distribute the wealth in a way which is totally loaded against those who need it most, and both are in charge of political entities who are so hamstrung by party loyalty, that they are mentally incapable of bring any genuinely new ideas to the table.

Also, I’d venture that about 94% of current MP’s (and future candidates, for that matter) are nest-feathering, self-serving bounders, whose egos prevent them for acknowledging their inherent incompetence.

I’d rather lollys mate was PM.

Seriously.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Bloody hell Grasshopper, the more I read your comment, the more I found myself in agreement! I’m not sure that’s a good sign.
    :lol:

I don’t rate either of the leaders (or politicians in general). If one of them promised a referendum on EU treaty/constitution though that migh tip things in their favour with me. Trouble is we can’t trust politicians to keep their promises.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Careful now, insomniac :mrgreen:

Let’s take this off at a tangent…………………….why the concern about an EU overlord taking your liberty away piece by piece, when exactly the same thing is happening in the domestic UK?

Whats the general beef about the EU?

Its oft-said that one of the main reasons people are wary, is the lack of accountability of the Commission.

Well, with the body-count piling up in Iraq, and one of the heros of the tale heading off into a dollar-spattered sunset with a smile on his face, it seems that we demand something of the Commission (accountability), that we do not demand of our own domestic politicians.

Accountability can’t therefore be a real reason, can it?

So what is it?

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Hi grasshopper. I’m really feeling somewhat unwell. Apart from agreeing with your earlier post, am I seeing things in that you’ve only made 47 posts? Shome mishtake shurely ?

The EU is a particular bugbear of mine (as you may have guessed). To me the whole chicanery of how we were conned into joining and funnelled into accepting that organisations’ metamorphis into the corrupt, bureaucratic, Kafaesque madhouse that it now is a damning indictment of our politicians. But don’t get me started…

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3386

The types of drugs I am talking about are the ones that have become an industry in their own right, heroine and latterly coccaine .. you know as well as I do that the industry that goes on behind the drug scene is horrendous. That’s one of the main reasons I chucked in recreational drugs years ago .. I don’t want associated with the scumbags.

I agree with you about the point that there is no tangible difference between the two parties, other than a few meaningless words. We are basically offered a choice of managerial style and not a change of management, as they would have us believe.

If Cameron wants to win the next election he shoud take a leaf out of tony bliar’s book and stay out of sight for a bit.

I don’t believe that the situation with the public’s apathy and contempt for politicians will be sorted out until those responsible for the lies told about Iraq are brought to justice and tried as war criminals, and that won’t happen.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Hi grasshopper. I’m really feeling somewhat unwell. Apart from agreeing with your earlier post, am I seeing things in that you’ve only made 47 posts? Shome mishtake shurely?

Cormack jottered me briefly for being better looking than him, but then he relented…………. :mrgreen:

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

The types of drugs I am talking about are the ones that have become an industry in their own right, heroine and latterly coccaine .. you know as well as I do that the industry that goes on behind the drug scene is horrendous.

You’re right, Davros………….its almost as bad as what goes on behind the scenes in the Nike Air Jordan industry.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Man…………………I’m on form tonight! :mrgreen:

It must be the hash………….:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I’d rather lollys mate was PM.

Seriously.

I don’t think things have got that desperate quite yet.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.