The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Plum Pudding

Home Forums Memorials Plum Pudding

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 21

Apparently collapsed and died whilst training last week. A real favourite of mine who I had seen at Kempton not so long ago and was a lovely horse. So sorry to hear he is gone, I think he was still quite young? Any info on what happened would be appreciated. Thanks and RIP PP. :(

rubyrubyruby
    • Total Posts 22

I had a soft spot for Plum Pudding too – RIP!

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

NB for the avoidance of any doubt, this is Plum Pudding (IRE) the Richard Hannon 7f-10f performer, rather than Plum Pudding (FR), the Gyles Smyly-trained steeplechaser.

Very sad to learn of his demise, having enjoyed his brave attempts to win so many races from the front in the last couple of years in particular.

The winner of the Bunbury Cup last July employing precisely those tactics, you’d rarely scratch him from calculations around his beloved Newmarket, where he triumped seven times.

RIP Plum Pudding.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

Very sad to hear this, he was a really honest horse.

Found this on Hannon’s website (richardhannon.tv)

We all get upset when we lose a horse, but the death of Plum Pudding, who died on the gallops last week has proved a real bitter pill to swallow for everyone at Herridge.

Richard makes no secret that Plum Pudding, a seven-year-old, was one of the favourite horses in the yard, and clearly the loss has hit him and the staff very hard.

He said:"It was a complete fluke, but he was travelling up happily the gallops with Charles Eddery aboard and he just collapsed and dropped down dead. It appeared that he suffered an internal haemorrhage.

"Charles, who won on Plum Pudding at Warwick, has torn ligaments in his shoulder, though his injuries could have been much worse. It was just good that it did not happen on the racecourse.

"Plum Pudding was so popular and I feel so sorry for his owners (Hyde Sporting Promotions Ltd). The horse won eight races, and he was a standing dish at Newmarket, where his six victories included last year’s Bunbury Cup at Newmarket, where he produced an amazing performance to defy topweight. There was an empty feeling to the yard that morning, but, though he is gone, he won’t be forgotten."

• Total Posts 47

Just reading this after a spell in the sick bay myself,what very sad news to come back to.
    My wife loved this animal,it has been a favourite for a few years now.
    Thanks for the memories,my thoughts are with connections.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I recall him winning the first time I went to Newmarket a few years ago. We were visiting family in Cambridge and decided to head off to Newmarket after lunch. A race was about to start when we arrived and the name Plum Pudding naturally caught my eye so soon after dining. He duly saluted at around 13/2 and I’ve followed him since.

R.I.P to an excellent servant to racing.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.