The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Play offs

Home Forums General Sports Play offs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

I think that as an end of season spectacle the play offs are great. Indeed the Championship play off final can rightly claim to be the world’s richest sproting event with a prize of £30 million plus to the winner.

However one does feel a little sorry for Derby County, a creditable third and well ahead of the rest but now in the melting pot of a knock-out cup competition to win third place all over again.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Perhaps it’s put there deliberately by the Football League so that they have the claim of ‘The Richest Prize in Football’ in the play-off final. The head of the FL certainly seems to like banding that term about judging by his recent interview. He also likes to place a £60M price tag on the game, which to be fair may be accurate considering the new TV deals from next season.

I’d probably agree with you though, Cormack. A bit harsh on Derby (if they don’t make it, that is!), but a breathtaking spectacle nonetheless!

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

However one does feel a little sorry for Derby County, a creditable third and well ahead of the rest but now in the melting pot of a knock-out cup competition to win third place all over again.

<br>I’ve spent a lifetime feeling sorry for the Rams and I’ve got a nasty feeling it’s about to continue.

Having said that, do I really want to see them getting dumped on in the Premiership every week?  I question just how bothered I’ll really be if Saints put them out of my misery.

Mike

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1418

All the teams know the rules long in advance.<br>Sure, its tough on the rams as the third placed side are always on a hiding to nothing as the others have nothing to lose.<br>I`ve been to a play off final (at wembley) and it was a  great day out………..<br>But by the same token I`ve watched my team go out at the semi final stage more than once.<br>All the clubs must be happy with the format as a further money spinner even though it seems to leave the eventual winner ill equipped for life in the top flight, or they`d have dumped it by now.<br>Certainly the sixth placed sides are very happy with it!!  

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

6th placed sides tend to do rather well out of it. 2 of the last 3 (Palace & West Ham) came 6th and went up IIRC. It’s probably something to do with the ‘nothing to lose’ attitude like you mentioned.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Agree with Sam, the clubs know the rules at the start of the season. I think  end-of-season play-offs are a great idea. Just a pity my "team" (Chester City) never get near to being in one ( excluding the Conference a few years back).<br>Does anyone know if they have this sort of thing overseas?

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8798

Dunno if they have it overseas but in rugby in this country don’t they use a similar system to decide the overall Champions, which seems bizarre.

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

Dunno if they have it overseas but in rugby in this country don’t they use a similar system to decide the overall Champions, which seems bizarre.

<br>Actually, in League it works very well, with a ‘graded’ knockout competition, using a repecharge and home advantage, which favours you the higher you finish in the regular season.

The subsequent Grand Final in October has become a superb spectacle, generally filling Old Trafford which takes some doing for such a regional sport.

I think I’m right in saying that one of the top two in the table has always won the Grand Final, although I believe that Newcastle Knights won the Aussie equivalent from fifth place a few years back.

In Union, the response has been more muted, with just the top four (League uses the top six) playing is straight semi’s and a final.  Having said that the two teams in yesterday’s final were Leicester and Gloucester who finish tied at the top of the league.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Its very simple. If Wolves go up the play-offs are a joke. If they don’t I have no problem with them.

Kifill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 127

A bad joke, defeats the point of having a league, and should be scrapped, but as it brings in plenty of money for the teams involved of course it won’t be.  

I wouldn’t have a problem with, say, third bottom in the Premiership against third in the Championship, though.

sporting sam
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1418

Quote  Kifill<br>"I wouldn’t have a problem with, say, third bottom in the Premiership against third in the Championship, though."<br>———————————————————————-

I`m pretty sure thats how it did work a few years ago.<br>One of the clubs in a relegation place in the top division <br>played off against the second division promotion hopefuls.<br>This may have had something to do with the reduction/increase in size of the first (Premier) division.<br>

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 368

Quote: from Aranalde on 12:29 pm on May 13, 2007[br]Its very simple. If Wolves go up the play-offs are a joke. If they don’t I have no problem with them. <br>

Remember (Warsaw) getting bashed by Crewe over 2 legs some years back Aranalde?

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Remember (Warsaw) getting bashed by Crewe over 2 legs some years back Aranalde?

Sorry I can’t hear you – my ears are still ringing with this season’s celebrations.

TMWANG50
    • Total Posts 69

If you hate Nottingham Forest and Colin "mind games" Calderwood this seasons play offs are the best yet. If Shrewsbury and Blackpool can beat our not so fierce rivals we will be in dreamland not just the Championship next year!!!!!

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I quite like Forest because we always beat them. Looking forward to adding Leeds to the list too.

Now I’m all for Blackpool beating Yeovil but I really can’t have Shrewsbury in League One. This is a club that spends most of the winter underwater and only emerges in the spring. They are a rowing club not a football club. So you can have Yeovil defeated but not Rovers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.