The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Phoenix Sprint 2020

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Phoenix Sprint 2020

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17566

Very decent looking lineup….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/178/curragh/2020-08-09/763701

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/flat/phoenix-sprint-stakes/winner

Not for the first time, I’d be really keen on Romantic Proposal here. Really nice winner last time, probably winning with a bit in hand, and I think she merits a go in this class.

Holds an entry at Cork on Saturday, and she’s missed a few entries as well, but even so, I’d still be happy to risk her for this. I thought she’d be single figures, so when I seen the 25’s, I had to, Cork bound or not.

Romantic Proposal 25’s EW

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Millisle was right back to her best last time and will take all the beating in the world

Not sure il be getting involved at that price though

9/4+ and id consider it

Mike987654
    Participant
    • Total Posts 226

FF I have been looking for a better price on Millisle but apart from WH only Ladbrokes and Corals are offering prices on the race and are 7/4 as well.

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

Millisle was electric the last time, no doubt about it. But, Forever in Dreams under performed which left her formwise beating albeit easily a lot less. Wouldn’t back her at this price, though i see her as very hard to beat.

There doesn’t tend to be more than 10 runners in this race, now this year could be different given what’s happened, but i think that does make it marginally attractive to have an e/w play. The issue is knowing what’s going to run.

I really like Sonaiyla and i was very impressed with her top weight performance the last day, didn’t think she’d be able to. 5/1 isn’t a price i’d back her at though with Millisle there.

Having just won a g2 and a g3 on the bounce, why run Speak In Colours? I wouldn’t totally rule it out given they went G2>G3 the last time but, i wouldn’t bet him antepost.

The weather seems fine for the week, and that again wouldn’t suit Forever in Dreams in my book, so she’s easily swerved.

The English handicap entries might not all show up, they are a concern as they’ve ran some very good races, but i couldn’t bet them now.

The two on my shortlist are: Aligator Alley and Romantic Proposal.

Aligator Alley ran a cracker first time out over 5.5f and wasn’t stopping, though predominantly his form is over 6f so it’s a minor worry. Punito Aurora came from the outside and flew home, while AA was running his race up the rail. Joseph’s were not flying then so it was some run. Hasn’t run since, i wonder why!

Romantic Proposal, basically the same as Bobby, won even with trouble last time. Trainer knows his filly sprinters + wouldn’t run her if she didn’t do herself justice, alright, she has it to find on figures.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

• Total Posts 17566

Romantic Proposal not declared then, no real surprise, but one of those Anteposts where my hands were tied, and I had to have some at 25’s. As I said, she gets plenty of entries, so she’s always going to be risky Antepost.

I was planning a proper punt on her if declared, but not to be, so I’ll look on the positive and convince myself I’ve actually saved a few quid lol.

Not quite the same interest as Romantic Proposal, but I’m a big fan of Gulliver, and even allowing for a very slightly below par run in The Stewards Cup, I’ll have an interest on him, albeit not to the levels I was planning with Romantic Proposal.

I’ll top up though if he goes bigger.

Gulliver 11’s

All Jeff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 237

I like the look of Glen Shiel here at 6-1, I think he could surprise.

Nathan HughesNathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22549

This is Millisle’s trip but at the odds I prefer Speak in Colours won 4 out of 5 at the course and distance and with the dead 8 runners you can cover it each way or place.

Member since March 2008
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

So neither of my shortlisted horses turn up. Millisle will be tough to beat but given her massive performance off top weight in a decent handicap i’ll give Sonaiyla a go. I was shocked to see her run off 10st 2 the last time as i presumed she’d go straight into group races after her win.
    Given Music To My Ears is probably a 100 filly, that was some performance.

I also find it quite interesting Billy Lee rides her ahead of Forever In Dreams. I presume he had first dibs, and FID finished close to Speak In Colours + is weighted better today, for all the ground isn’t ideal for her. She has some G1 sprint form so it’s a nice positive that he’s gone for Sonaiyla.

each way.

Istabraq
    Participant
    • Total Posts 256

wd jeff, millisle is very inconsistent

jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

Nice Jeff!

Sonaiyla ran a cracker- Speak in Colours came to head her but he couldn’t but Glen Shiel snuck up by both of them! She’s a cracking purchase!

• Total Posts 17566

Good weekend for you Jeff, well done.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

These Harrington fillies are so inconsistent atm

Brilliant one day terrible the next

Glad I never saw a backable price now

TriptychTriptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 10368

:good: Well done Jeff couldn’t believe he went off 12/1.

Thought I posted here but did him in Vtc’s Ante Post comp where he was famcied for this and never better than 13/2..glad I waited and backed him this morning at 9/1 best odds.
    :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    jackh1092jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2713

The form of her last run looked sketchy to be fair FF, and yesterday’s Platinum Stakes backed that up. She’s obviously just not that good, and was flattered by her G1 2yo win.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

She’s not run anything like she did last time there jack

Was beaten after 2 furlongs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.