The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Phar Lap

Home Forums Horse Racing Phar Lap

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    GodolphinArabianGodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

I watched the film last night it was amazing. The story behind this horse is fantastic But a tragedy at the same time a very good watch for any racehorse fan.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Wonderful film; was only thinking of it the other day with it being Melbourne Cup Day, but not sure if I can watch it again as I find it so painful to watch what happened to him. Am I right in thinking that he was accidentaly poisoned; contaminated feed or something?

GodolphinArabianGodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

That’s the thing nobody will ever find out if it was accidental or murder because back then the racing was ruled by big syndicates and they didn’t like outsiders spoiling there party. The owner was warned before he raced to have him guarded..But Maybe they got to him.

Here is a link to

Great Horse Racing Mysteries

on Google Books i think it goes into it more there.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=p2vr … &q&f=false

HurdygurdymanHurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1560

Seen the movie when it first cam out then watched it again just after Secretariat came out. Definitely up there as one of the best sports movies ever made.

Such a pity racing wasn’t more internationally contested back then. He was a phenomenal horse without doubt and well named, Phar Lap roughly translated means Lightning.

Absolutely murdered by weight in Oz, if he had ran in the Uk at that time he would have most likely been just as dominating as there was nothing outstanding racing there at the time. The tiny Hyperian a bit of a legend himself was a 2yo, I believe, when Phar Lap died of arsenic poisoning.

To many Australians and New Zealanders alike he was the greatest racehorse of all time and considering the conditions he raced under and the lack of any proof to say otherwise who’s to argue?

All that matters is he has his rightful place in the hall of fame as one of the best the world has ever seen.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

I know it’s a kid’s film but I liked Kings of the Wind, which showed how the Arab horses came to this country [a must watch given your name, Godolphin Arabian]. I can just sit gazing at pedigrees showing how todays horses trace back to those 3 stallions. I haven’t seen Secretariat; must get the dvd. Seabiscuit was wonderful, as is the book.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Might be something you are already aware of, but this was in the news recently:-

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8861784/Mystery-over-death-of-Phar-Lap-deepens-with-discovery-of-trainers-letter.html

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7835

Sounds like the theory put forward in Julian Wilsons ‘100 Greatest racehorses’ that he ‘probably injested some material used for spraying trees’. Either way, even after all these years it still hurts to think of the great horses dying such a painfull death, doesn’t it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.