The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Persian Punch

Home Forums Archive Topics Persian Punch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1913

Yet again Persian Punch digs deep to get a deserved win.

If only all horses showed the same guts and determination as he does.<br>To keep producing the goods year in year out like he does,brilliant.

Nick Hatton
    • Total Posts 399

I was absolutely overjoyed to see Persian Punch win again today. If only there were more like him !

steviemorton
    • Total Posts 1

PERSIAN PUNCH WAS GRATE TO SEE COUN’T HELP BUT THINK THAT ALL THE DOG IN THE COUNTY SHOULD GO TO D ELSWORTH NOT SAYING THAT THE PUCH IS A DOG THINKING MORE ABOUT INDIAN CREEK! BECAUSE ANY ONE WHO CAN GET THAT THING TO WIN IS A LEDGEND IN MY BOOK WELL DONE DAVE!

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

was great to see him win today.every time i look at him i think of what might have been if he had been allowed to be jump fences .can just imagine him in the champion chase. still its nice  for flat racing to have a proper brave horse to enjoy.

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

Well said stav. I think it was the jockey more than anything that got him second in the gold cup, and it was due to no samll measure of martin dwyer than he got up on saturday. There would have been plenty blaiming him for leaving fallon up his inside has he been beaten. i think he gave the horse a target.

conall
    • Total Posts 59

Don’;t agree with this at all

Question mark against Fallon for  going way too soon and challenging PP on his inside – close proximity asked for a fight, had Fallon held on to his horse a little longer and challenged wide – different result I am afraid

MorgansHarbour
    • Total Posts 104

Cover up is a very quirky horse. Remember he would have had ot come around Dusky Warbler as well had he held him up to come wide. Unfair punishment for a short head defeat. Persian Punch may have been galvanised by going eyeball to eyeball with another horse, but Cover ups turn of foot is hardly electric and pulling him wide when the gap appeared up the rails would be akin to horse racing suicide. he did got 3/4l up in the final furlong.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Two dour stayers grinding out a finish – it was like watching a bumper at Carlisle!

The Judge
    • Total Posts 74

For the first time in a long time, (with the exception of the Giant Causeway Eclipse), I could say that Saturday was vintage Sandown. A cracking card, full of drama: let’s hope after a few trying years the place is back at the very top of flat racing in this country.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1913

Wow,he does it again in the Goodwood Cup.

Makes you wonder how good Mr Dinos is.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Hear hear James,

Without wishing to sound like Scrooge, for years we have heard how poor the sprinting crop are. Now we have Airwave and Oasis Dream, maybe we ought to have a look at how poor the staying division are.

Mr Dinos is a class act but plenty  of horses have beaten Persian Punch as a younger horse and the fact that the current lot can’t beat him is a reflection on their mediocrity.

A brave horse, yes. A great horse, surely not.

Nick Hatton
    • Total Posts 399

IMO he’s a ‘great’ horse in the sense that he’s great for the sport.

jasonr
    • Total Posts 14

I’ve never been keen on Persian Punch myself, even less so today cos I was on Jardines Lookout but there you go.

Robert Gibbs
    Participant
    • Total Posts 325

Shut Up Smithy/TheDarkNight, what a load of c**p you both talk. So a horse that wins eleven group races, this one being a Group 2 at the age of ten. A horse that has almost won £1 million in prize money, has a near 33% strike rate at the top level, and he isn’t a great?? Try naming 5 better stayers than him in the last 20 years, not possible.  Desert Orchid got me interested in the sport when I was still in junior school and what I love about David Elsworth is that if he has a good horse, he runs it. I can’t understand why trainers hardly ever run there best horses. Best Mate being a case in point. But anyway he is truly a GREAT, and well I got quite emotional watching that today. I’ve just got to be at Newmarket later in the year if he contests the Jockey Club Cup again.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

It was going so well for you Robert until you wanted five better stayers in the last 20 years.

I won’t bore you with them  – although I must give Classic Cliche a mention having won the small matter of a St Leger, a Gold Cup, a Yorkshire Cup, a Dante, A Prix Kergolay and a runner-up spot in the King George.

As for his near 33% strike rate at the top level, to the best of my knowledge he has a 0% record at the top level, still hunting for a Group 1  after 14 attempts.

Persian Punch is a grand old campaigner but listening to Simon Holt, Clare Balding and co  wetting  their pants when he beats Cover Up and Jardines Lookout is too much.

Lets hope Mr Dinos turns up at Newmarket as well and gives him another thrashing – although, this is highly unlikely as there isnt so much prestige for a horse of his ability to drop down in class to take on inferior rivals.

(Edited by Smithy at 5:57 pm on July 31, 2003)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.