The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Patrick Merrigan

Home Forums Horse Racing Patrick Merrigan

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Thanks AP.  There do seem to be a number of conditional jockey’s handicap hurdle and none over fences.  

Can’t find him on the Irish P2P site AP so presume he hasn’t ridden in points.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Just to back up Alan’s point, the average field size is smaller in chases than hurdles, so a jockey’s strike rate over fences should be superior to that over hurdles, as long as he’s getting competitive rides.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from davidjohnson on 1:37 pm on May 30, 2006[br]

Did anyone see his ride on Jodante the other Friday night? Seemed to have too much confidence on that one!

<br>True to a certain extent, as the horse certainly had fewer excuses jumping-wise than when failing to overhaul the winner at Kelso the time before, but the 3m 1f trip was also new to him last Friday and the rain having got into the ground a little would have been a negative for him also.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Quote: from Lingfield on 12:08 pm on May 30, 2006[br]

In a similar vein, what do you do if you are D Pipe?<br>Obviously T J Murphy’s riding style meets the approval of David Johnson but not the vast majority of other owners who hanker for the days of McCoy. It was reported that prior to M Pipe’s retirement at least, McCoy would be taking an increasing number of Pipe stable rides.

<br>Have a look at the novice chase at Wetherby tomorrow night – is it the shape of things to come that he partners Standin Obligation instead of continuing aboard Steppes Of Gold? Mark you, having seen what a hairy dog the latter is, and what an unpleasant account he gave of himself even in victory at Southwell last time, you can’t blame AP for wanting to get off him asap.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

Anyone know anything more on this story? The phrase ‘loose cannon’ hardly seems to do him justice. Who would take him on?

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Looks like he has ‘done one’ when not jocked up on Special Envoy.

A pity this, I like watching him ride, a refreshing change to the head down push and shove brigade, his sometime apparent arrogance in the saddle makes for exciting viewing. Looks as though he wasn’t slapped enough as a small child though!

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Was just going to put a thread up on Paddy Merrigan. He’s certainly a bit of an enigma, what with his exit from Heather Dalton and now from the Bowen yard where he was undoubtedly riding well. Seems a shame to me, as his style of riding seems very classy for an inexperienced 21 year old claimer. Added to that, his character is certainly intriguing to say the least as shown by his reaction to Special Envoy’s fall at Haydock and his contrasting celebrations after riding Souffleur to victory at Aintree.

Hope whatever happens, he gets another chance and knuckles down as his potential as a jockey is substantial.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

I am fully aware of what happened with this Merrigan saga but, for obvious reasons, it isn’t my place to say. Suffice it to say that he is sadly constantly pressing the self destruct button. A jockey of huge potential, unless he changes his attitude considerably, trainers will avoid putting him up on their charges.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

I am fully aware of what happened with this Merrigan saga but, for obvious reasons, it isn’t my place to say. Suffice it to say that he is sadly constantly pressing the self destruct button. A jockey of huge potential, unless he changes his attitude considerably, trainers will avoid putting him up on their charges.

It’s a shame you don’t feel you can provide an explanation because facts are a lot better than speculation. If he has been an idiot surely he will learn far more if the story is exposed rather brushed under the carpet.

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

Its in the Post today. He got upset when he didn’t get the ride on Special Envoy in the Long Walk. He has walked out of the job and returned to Ireland. Bowen booked him for Lady Roania at Catterick on Friday and his agent Dave Roberts said he did not want the ride.

Looks like he is another good talent with flaws.

naps
    • Total Posts 159

It’s a shame you don’t feel you can provide an explanation because facts are a lot better than speculation. If he has been an idiot surely he will learn far more if the story is exposed rather brushed under the carpet.

Can’t say I agree with you Stilvi. All of us make mistakes. Do you think you will learn alot more if your mistakes are announced to the public as a whole? I think not. Most people are capable of realising they have made mistakes ……. usually by way of repercussions. Public himiliation isn’t necessary. As I said before, Paddy is a hugely talented rider (having witnessed his schooling sessions 1st hand) and I sincerely hope he gets his career back on track to give his riding the chance to fulfill the potential it deserves.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Why tell us you know about it then if you don’t feel you can actually say anything?

Anzum
    • Total Posts 256

Spot on David. Its just an irrelevant piece of information.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

human nature makes people curious as it’s difficult to pass judgement or criticise when we don’t know what the issue is – not a great trait

then again, it’s not as bad as fighting, fixing races, taking drugs, starting fires on planes, etc – what is it with sportsmen these days ?

jockeys are trying hard to take the bad-boy reputation from the footballers these days and poor old alex higgins would look like an innocent choir boy if he was in his heyday in 2007

it must be a talent/lunatic ratio with sportsmen i guess, thank god i never got above half decent with snooker otherwise i might have gone completely off the rails :shock:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4517

Can’t say I agree with you Stilvi. All of us make mistakes. Do you think you will learn alot more if your mistakes are announced to the public as a whole? I think not. Most people are capable of realising they have made mistakes ……. usually by way of repercussions. Public himiliation isn’t necessary. As I said before, Paddy is a hugely talented rider (having witnessed his schooling sessions 1st hand) and I sincerely hope he gets his career back on track to give his riding the chance to fulfill the potential it deserves.

Disagree I believe you should openly face up to things rather than hide. Let’s face it the people that matter most to him – potential employers – will all know the story sooner or later.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.