The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Crusmissile
    • Total Posts 13

Can grands crus really handle 2 mile 4, i dont think it will suit, also, when it comes to jumping, is grands crus as good as huntball/al ferof.. Im finding it hard to back my origonal pick. Who actually believes that huntball has improved 2 stone over the summer?

Crusmissile
    • Total Posts 13

Can grands crus really handle 2 mile 4, i dont think it will suit, also, when it comes to jumping, is grands crus as good as huntball/al ferof.. Im finding it hard to back my origonal pick. Who actually believes that huntball has improved 2 stone over the summer?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

[quote="rich1985"
    Whilst Hunt Ball was truly phenomenal last season, you have to take his owner’s comments with a pinch of salt I feel, he will indeed have to improve immensely to win this but you can’t help but love the horse what what it’s achieved.

Triolo D’Alene still intrigues me, hoping it gets in!

You are right. Anthony Knott seems a bit prone to fantasy, but we can all dream. The horse had a busy season last time around and was reported very tired after Aintree. His form has to either plateau or regress sometime (probably shortly) but he made remarkable progress last year and did me a big personal favour at Cheltenham, so I have a soft spot for him.

A pinch of salt is probably putting it mildly though, a box of Saxa might be more like it ;)

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

the hectic pace they normally go in this race will surely suit the strong-travelling grands crus down to the ground.

ok he’s not the biggest price in the world, but I wouldn’t dismiss his chances just because he flaked out at the festival. he’s clearly a high-class horse if you look through most of his form, and he goes well fresh.

I think you could spend too long looking through this race for the "value" and miss what’s staring you in the face 8)

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Does anyone think we’re seeing shades of Long Run with Grands Crus?

Feltham winner, disappointing in the RSA, gets sent of as favourite in the Paddy Power…

I think the distance is too short, personally. He’d do better in the Hennessey, but I reckon this is merely a pipeopener (or should I say Pipe-opener?) for the King George.

On the other hand, we know Hunt Ball likes the trip, he’s been on the upgrade, and if he’s in the same form as his last race (third, as a novice, in an open grade one), then he’s got to be feared.

Also, Forpadydeplasterer is a tasty e/w bet – he loves to place, and at those prices, has got to be worth a go.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

I can’t ever remember looking at a race and thinking literally that half the field could win it, there’s so many to make a case for :?

Only had my small nibble on Forpady but otherwise it’s definitely just one for me to sit back and enjoy.

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

20/1 about Quantitativeasing could look very big come saturday afternoon.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

20/1 about Quantitativeasing could look very big come saturday afternoon.

Why? Don’t you think the handicapper has him by the unmentionables now?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1708

Big fan of both Grand Crus and Al Ferof, but i can’t have either of them tomorrow. Grand Crus wants half a mile further and Al Ferof carries 11-8 which is a lot of weight to carry for a second season chaser. I’ve backed both horses for the King George so i’ll be hoping for good runs, but not backing either tomorrow.

Got a bit of money on Hunt Ball, but my main hope is Divers. Very talented horse with feathers on his back. Loves it round Cheltenham, but won’t want any more rain. 16/1 is a steal.

• Total Posts 1217

Big fan of both Grand Crus and Al Ferof, but i can’t have either of them tomorrow. Grand Crus wants half a mile further and Al Ferof carries 11-8 which is a lot of weight to carry for a second season chaser. I’ve backed both horses for the King George so i’ll be hoping for good runs, but not backing either tomorrow.

Got a bit of money on Hunt Ball, but my main hope is Divers. Very talented horse with feathers on his back. Loves it round Cheltenham, but won’t want any more rain. 16/1 is a steal.

The rains they are a comin I’m afraid…

Going for Triolo D’Alene. Think he can be something special.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The rains they are a comin I’m afraid…

Yikes! What do you think the likely ground conditions will be tomorrow?

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’m another in the

Triolo D’Alene

camp. Was fancied at the Festival when he ran no race and has had a wind op since. BJ riding 10-01 :shock:

Also tempted to have a small punt on

Questions Answered

. He’s been in great heart of late and probably faced an impossible task against Raz De Maree last time out given that one’s recent performance. 50/1 looks too big!

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

raining now in chelt :)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I am going through the race in depth now and noticed something about Hunt Ball. His most impressive performances came when he had good ground. Although he did win some weaker races on soft or good-to-soft surfaces, he was less impressive on it. He even got beaten by Time To Think from a mark of 102 on heavy going.

The USA blood in his pedigree is an explanation of this.

As Rich says, the rain is coming and that could tip the scales away from Hunt Ball.

Kirovski
    • Total Posts 14

Nadiya De La Vega for me. Fit, in form C&D winner. Ground will suit even if it rains. Couldn’t have a better trainer and jockey. Right age and weight range, lightly raced and still room for improvement after a lifetime best last time out. Good EW bet at 16/1 in places.

Another horse I think is overpriced is Kingsmere. Couldn’t be confident about him after his fall last time but he too has lots of scope for improvement and is the right age and is at the right end of the handicap. I think 33/1 is a bit too big.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Rain would probably enhance the chances of Grands Crus and Al Ferof. I think they will fight out the finish with Al Ferof coming late and toughing the Pipe horse out of it.

Al Ferof posted an RPR of 163 after just 2 runs over fences when he contested the Vic Chandler against seasoned types. Next time he left his race at the 4th last which he banked (the Arkle) and should have been put away. But Mr Nicholls likes to take his festival runners to Aintree – predictably, Al Ferof ran no race there. I think you can safely ignore his last two runs. He won a very strong Supreme, likes the track, has the best jock, stable in good form, significant market support, and seems much better value than the favourite.

I’ve had a saver at 40s on Calgary Bay who looks overpriced – a triple course winner, fine jumper, now with Channon, GN was too far for him and prior to that won his first back-to-back races. Still he’s weighted accordingly and up against it. But he’s twice the price he should be so worth a small bet imo.

Good luck
    Joe

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

The results of a few hours of studying narrowed it down to 7 for me.

Poquelin
    Grands Crus
    Walkon
    The Disengager
    Triolo D’Alene
    Divers
    Al Ferof

Al Ferof

gets chucked out because he jumps poorly under pressure.

Triolo D’Alene

is gone as backing that one would be akin to blind faith in Barry G’s wasting.

Walkon

I don’t think is as well-handicapped as he looks. His best handicap hurdling effort was from a higher mark, but that was a weakish race for its stature.

The vibes from Paul Nicholls about

Poquelin

suggest he is on the decline, so he is also reluctantly passed over.

Divers

(e/w) stays in as he is well-treated, has had a breathing op and handled softer ground better than I thought. The mud was flying when he won the Jewson.

The Disengager

(e/w) could still be well-treated as he only grinds out narrow wins from the front and could still be ahead of the handicapper. Massive price too.

Grands Crus

(win) is too obvious to avoid.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.