The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Paddy Power Gold Cup 2012

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 296

Looks like being a shoe-in for the Pipe stable for Grands Crus off 157. On official ratings will carry same weight as Cue Card and Hunt Ball and receive 3lb from Menorah.

I expect Grands Crus to win easily and become new fav for KG Chase.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

I like FOR NON STOP at 16/1 i do

• Total Posts 1533

When I hear the name Pipe I worry about backing anything AP. If Grand Crus is in rude health the temptation to miss the Paddy Power and go for the Betfair with Kauto missing the race might be a bit too much for them to resist.

You’d have to think Grand Crus will take some beating if in good form but he looked anything like a future champion in the RSA.

A horse who I have been following before he even ran is Martin Keighley’s Champion Court and he goes here. He’s in the best of health, working well and has about a 7lb pull with Grand Crus for 10 lengths.

Champion Court has improved a fair bit sine Grand Crus beat him pointless, finishing 2nd in the Jewson to Sir DC and he will run unless something goes amiss.

Champion Court 14/1

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I think

Divers

has a great chance at a huge price if you take the chance that the ground does not come up soft. He was targeted at Cheltenham last season, with connections incredibly confident on the day. He travelled ominously well but stopped quite quickly after threatening.

If you follow his Facebook fan page, you will know that Divers was found to have a breathing problem after the race. That has now been corrected. With Ferdy Murphy’s excellent record in the race and the horse well-handicapped and back to his best, I think he is a great bet.

I think Champion Court is relatively exposed compared to most of the second season novices. He came up short in his toughest tests last season and doesn’t have many secrets now. He needs to improve to be involved.

I’m still forming an opinion about Grands Crus.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I’m another in the

Champion Court

camp! Hoping he’ll frank the Sir Des Champs form.

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

The jump season is back!

I can’t have anything in this race running off a mark in the high 150s. Long Run was beaten off a similar mark, and although history tells us that the trip was probably on the short side, there must be something lurking a little further down the weights in this one.

I’ve already backed For Non Stop (151) but I like Notus De La Tour off 144. The Pipe’s give him a favourable mention in One Jump Ahead and they always target one at this race.

He’ll do for me @ 20s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

HOLD FIRE ON CHAMPION COURT BETS!

http://www.cheltenhampro.com/category/C … 209190001/

SDO
    Participant
    • Total Posts 22

Over this trip, I can’t see how Grands Crus isn’t well in off 157. He could well line up favourite for the King George in December. At 5/1 I think he’s a great bet.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Hardly an original idea but Little Josh is below the mark he won this off 2 years ago and with the NTD in good form, could be a nice e/w. 100’s on betfair at the mo, might waste a fiver on that.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Was surprised to see my old friend Al Ferof amongst the entries for this. Does anyone know if he’s an intended runner?

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

For Non Stop has completely stuffed up his mark for this through the manner of his win at Aintree – he’ll he second top weight and to win it he would have to be almost Gold Cup class. I’m on at a decent price, but I’m not holding my breath.

I’ve topped up on Notus De La Tour this morning – his price is holding up on Betfair so he looks an intended runner still. I think he could sneak in off a feather weight and has strong nocie form to bring to the table.

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

For Non Stop has completely stuffed up his mark for this through the manner of his win at Aintree – he’ll he second top weight and to win it he would have to be almost Gold Cup class. I’m on at a decent price, but I’m not holding my breath.

Despite a hugely impressive performance at Aintree, I wouldn’t give For Non Stop much of a chance in this. As mentioned, he’ll be running off a ridiculous mark now which is a big enough obstacle alone. That joined with the fact that Nick Williams said he doesn’t act well round Cheltenham and that it takes him a fair while to get over his races must be warning signs for potential backers.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

For Non Stop and Silviniaco Conti have done plenty to make the form of Champion Court look very attractive this season. I’m prepared to admit he is a lot better handicapped than first thought!

He has met with a setback, though, so could well now be rerouted to this race after all.

Divers still looks like a nice each-way saver bet though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2047

Poquelin

should go well judging on its run at Ascot today.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Notus De La Tour could sneak under the radar here, and could go off a very big price…

TomBarkley87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1835

Weights just been released for this, and I must admit I raised an eyebrow when I saw that Forpadydeplasterer had been allocated 10st 13lbs. Not sure if he’ll even line up, but his owners do love a day out at Cheltenham(as most do). There’s worse 40/1 shots out there 8)

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

Well spotted Bozlike. That is no weight at all for a class horse.

I’m a bit worried about Divers after only getting 10-01. He is ludicrously well-handicapped if he gets into the race, but will need plenty to come out. Does anyone know the max field size for this race?

Edit: He needs 11 to come out. It’s going to be a close one!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 66 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.