Paddy Power Chase 2019

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Paddy Power Chase 2019

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 16254

One of the best Handicaps of the year this, and usual strong entry…….

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/187/leopardstown/2019-12-27/746402

My long term hope for this has been Winter Escape for this. Long term fan of the horse, and he ticks every box for me here. He’s almost certainly better than his mark, so I’ll no be concerned about him being near the head of the weights, and the trip looks ideal. Big fancy.

It’s usually the case in this race anyway, but there are a few other JP Horses who catch the eye. I’m really keen on Any Second Now for Aintree, so I’m not wanting too big a run here, but if this is a serious target for them, he’s another who’s big weight wouldn’t be giving me any concerns. Blazer is another who’s profile would fit here, and the ability is there to beat last year’s sixth in this, regardless of being a few pounds higher this time.

Potential British raiders Jerrysback and No Comment look like ideal candidates for a big Handicap each this season, and though both would look ideal for this, I hope they don’t make the journey. I’m particularly keen on No Comment for The Kim Muir.

JP can call on several more, with the ultra consistent Fitzhenry, and the potential dark horse, Spiders Web, muddying the waters even more.

Away from the JP Hordes, as can be expected, there are loads from Mullins and Elliott, and also plenty in The Gigginstown silks.

The Giggs horse which interests me most is Mortal. Put a line through his last run, and he looks to be on an excellent mark. Very interesting for Joseph O’Brien.

O’Brien can also call on last year’s runner up Vieux Morvan, who is pretty solid round here, and has to be considered.

One horse I really like the thought of round here is Whisperinthebreeze, while Ex Patriot could easily make the frame too. The trip in particular looks good for the Harrington trained Whisper, while there’s the potential that Patriot, from a smaller yard, could just be underestimated in amongst the big boys, and he’d also be of serious interest. Plenty of races in the past which makes him appeal to me.

The last three named easily make the early shortlist. That shortlist is headed by Winter Escape. It’s December, and I’ve not had a big Antepost yet this Jumps season, but he’ll almost certainly be my first, but if any of the other trio look overpriced, I might just spread a few pounds around.

Ex Patriot
    Vieux Morvan
    Whisperinthebreeze

Winter Escape

• Total Posts 16254

Market up, with 5 Places…..

https://www.oddschecker.com/horse-racing/ante-post-racing/national-hunt/paddy-power-chase/winner

No Comment being Fav at 7’s is a bit of a surprise. I was hoping for a quiet build up to The Kim Muir, but that would hint strongly at him coming here. Hopefully not, but if he did, then I’d cover him, but at that price, not Antepost.

Winter Escape opening at 33’s means that I don’t have to put as much on, I expected around 16’s, but I’ll still have a swing at that alright.

The other trio on the shortlist are 16’s, so need to play them early.

Winter Escape 33’s EW 5 Places

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5609

MORTAL and FITZHENRY for me thing is if look at winners of race in recent a hurdles prep or a run in Troytown normaly place to look at why i fancy the latter more one of ways i put up CROSS APPEAL at massive price when he won it

• Total Posts 16254

Like the pair of them Darren.

It has to go Fitzhenry’s way sooner or later, and Mortal has a proper big one in him, especially off of that mark. Really wanted him to run in The Irish National last season.

• Total Posts 16254

Both Ex Patriot and Whisperinthebreeze take in The Foxrock at Navan tomorrow, which is a traditional trial for this.

I’ll be watching the pair of them closely.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.