The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Only Connect – Horse Racing

Home Forums Lounge Only Connect – Horse Racing

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

A little quiz for any fans of the BBC4 programme Only Connect hosted by the strangely attractive Victoria Coren the first clue for five points is:

Pow Wow

For any who haven’t seen the programme it is on BBC4 on a Monday and also available on the BBC’s iplayer.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

Dancing Brave, I suppose…?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I think we’re going to need more than that, Pete.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I notice that the rotund geek quizster, Mark Labbett, always seems to find himself a place on these BBC "elitist" quiz shows.

He’s slowly becoming the new modern day male version of Daphne Fowler. :lol:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I wouldn’t want Labbett as my grandmother, though.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

I wouldn’t want Labbett as my grandmother, though.

:lol: Good one.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

Young Victoria is mighty fine "poker" player too boot as well.

Going off topic, I really like the programme that follows – "Wallander" – this is the original Swedish series and is much better than the "UK" version with Kenneth Branagh.

Regards – Matron
    :cool:

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8393

The first time I saw Only Connect I thought, for some reason, that it was a spoof quiz show. Don’t watch it now because, like most programmes [even Countdown] it makes me feel stupid.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

I like Only Connect, but I think it is time we got the second clue.

By the way, I’m assuming what all four clues have got in common is what we’re playing, rather than guessing what the fourth in the series is?

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Dancing Brave, I suppose…?

Well Done Ugly Mare – correct Dancing Brave.

I think I’m a bit rubbish at setting clues so if anybody else would like to, please do.

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

Matron, I’d never heard of this Wallander before you mentioned it but I’ve just watched an episode/film on the iplayer (in between having to keep looking at my missus’ flower-arranging – about five times she come in and made me go and look, as if I cared what they look like :roll: )

It is very good – if a bit dark and disturbing – I liked the pace of it. Thanks for hightlighting it.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

I am glad you enjoyed it Pompete.

Another one on Monday!

Regards – Matron

Pompete
    • Total Posts 2391

I’ve watched two now Matron :D They are available on the BBC iplayer for 7 days.

As I’m no expert in these things I can’t explain why but the way it’s filmed and the acting just seems so much ‘more real’ than what we normally get on British telly.

Btw, I don’t know if you know but I mentioned it at work on Tuesday and was told that the actress that plays Linda Wallander committed sucide a couple of years ago and it left me quite shocked and greatly saddened.

Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6412

Yes,

It was terribly sad.

She was a troubled soul due to her experience with the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johanna_S% … str%C3%B6m

Regards – Matron

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Didn’t end up watching Wallander, but I did check out Only Connect on Monday. I really enjoyed it, real exercise for the old grey matter. Some of the puzzles were deviously challenging.
    I also remember Vicky Coren now, from a couple of her poker appearances as well as once catching an ep of ‘Balderdash & Piffle’- not gonna lie, I fell in love all over again! :oops:

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

Vicky Coren rocks my little world also. Only female ever to win a tournament on the European Poker Tour, if memory serves, and in her time has also written for the

Erotic Review

and adapted John Diamond’s moving autobiography.

Did enjoy her brother Giles’

The Supersizers Eat…

series with Sue Perkins recently as well, for all that I believe he can be a proper git (especially with sub-editors) in real life.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Would they be children of the Coren, who I believe used to be Editor of Punch?

edit: The answer is yes. Googled her and then Alan. I don’t like googling people – I feel like a perv. :oops:

The idea of her being the daughter of Alan Coren didn’t enter my head until I read this and found she had a brother in the media as well.

Maybe I could have been famous if I’d been born into a famous family, and given an enriched childhood instead of being bored out of my brains for 18 years.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.