The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Home Forums Horse Racing ‘ONE RACE’ racehorses

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

One that has just came to my mind is Hold That Tiger winning the Grand Criterium in France.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

George Washington!

I don’t think GW can be classed as a ‘One Race’ horse, regardless of whether you are talking about that ‘One Race’ being one of his brilliant victories, or whether you are referring to one of his defeats.

I’m certain that GW will be remembered for many of his races, rather than just one.

Mike

• Total Posts 302

Is there a horse that has caused as much debate as Hawk Wing in recent years.

Unfair to say he’s a one race horse with three G1 wins and 2nd in 2 classics, but obviously the one race i’m talking of is his lockinge performance. Close to 10lb better than any other of his performances!

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Roland

Is that because High Chaparral’s Derby form is one of the most understimated in recent history?

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2923

…………………….more probably because he beat a group of 120 rated horses by 11 lengths????

Colin

doyley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 567

Hello,

Norton’s Coin… 8)

regards,

doyley

• Total Posts 263

Entrepreneur (97′ 2,000 Guineas)
    King Of Kings (98′ 2,000 Guineas)
    Island Sands (99′ 2,000 Guineas)
    Footstepsinthesand (05′ 2,000 Guineas)
    Musical Bliss (89′ 1,000 Guineas)
    Ameerat (01′ 1,000 Guineas)
    Maroof (94′ Queen Elizabeth II Stakes)
    Sagamix (98′ Arc)
    Moonax (94′ St Leger)
    Jet Ski Lady (91′ Oaks)
    Oath (99′ Derby)
    Arcangues (93′ BC Classic)
    Algan (94′ King George)
    Ever Blessed (99′ Hennessy Gold Cup)
    Cool Dawn (98′ Gold Cup)
    Call Equiname (99′ Champion Chase)
    Bounce Back (02′ Betfred Gold Cup)
    Red Marauder (01′ Grand National)

madman marz
    • Total Posts 707

Golden Fleece ’82 Derby winner.

Knowing my unflinching admiration for Golden Fleece, I would think you were trying to wind me up Drone :wink:

Golden Fleece was far from a one race wonder, bolted up in his sole 2yr old start, then went on to beat multiple Group 1 winner Assert with ridiculous ease in both the Nijinsky Stakes { now Irelands best Epsom Derby trial the Derrinstown stud stakes} and in the Ballymoss stakes { now the Tattersalls Gold Cup also known as the Rogers gold cup} it was opened to three olds and wasn’t a Group 1 race back then.
    His win in the Epsom Derby was one of the fastest of all time, and as I have said before he came from virtually last to first in a matter of strides to beat dual St Leger winner Touching Wood with consumate ease.
    It wasn’t the horses fault he never ran after as Sangster & Co had a habit of packing off to stud their best horses as the yanks prices were too good to miss. Witness El Gran Senor, only ran in the Irish Derby because of his unfortunate defeat at Epsom, wins over 1m 1/2 at the Curragh, duly packed off to stud.

Speaking of one race wonders how about,

Secreto & Footstepsinthesand.

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Virginia Waters.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6010

Golden Fleece ’82 Derby winner.

Golden Fleece was far from a one race wonder, bolted up in his sole 2yr old start, then went on to beat multiple Group 1 winner Assert with ridiculous ease in both the Nijinsky Stakes { now Irelands best Epsom Derby trial the Derrinstown stud stakes} and in the Ballymoss stakes { now the Tattersalls Gold Cup also known as the Rogers gold cup} it was opened to three olds and wasn’t a Group 1 race back then.
    His win in the Epsom Derby was one of the fastest of all time, and as I have said before he came from virtually last to first in a matter of strides to beat dual St Leger winner Touching Wood with consumate ease.
    It wasn’t the horses fault he never ran after as Sangster & Co had a habit of packing off to stud their best horses as the yanks prices were too good to miss. Witness El Gran Senor, only ran in the Irish Derby because of his unfortunate defeat at Epsom, wins over 1m 1/2 at the Curragh, duly packed off to stud.

Your post’s intention of defending Golden Fleece from my assertion that he was a ‘one race racehorse’ would seem to have backfired as IMO it neatly illustrates one of the starkest examples of a promising 3yo who produced a (probable/possible who really knows?) top class effort in winning the Derby never to be seen again.

It’s doubtful few would remember who the hell GF was had he just won a couple of trials in Ireland, proceeded to run down the field in the Derby, then been retired. Though as you suggest, regarding the Sangster operation’s unsavoury cosseting of their best horses at the time, had he not won he would in all likelihood have been kept in training, if fit and well.

And add in the fact that he died young, hence his name rarely appears in pedigrees, only enhances his standing as a one-off.

So no criticism of the horse intended only the way his racing ‘career’ panned out.

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

…………….and Devon Loch……………….perhaps Dancing Brave?!

Colin

I’d say Dancing Brave is remembered mainly for his Arc win.

2000 Guineas, Eclipse, King George, Arc ………..

Dancing Brave’s name certainly doesn’t belong in this topic.

• Total Posts 108

Slip Anchor – sensational at Epsom, never won again.

Petoski – who would remember him if not for beating Oh So Sharp et alia in the King George.

I’m tempted to add Storm Bird – yes, he was unbeaten as a 2yo, but would we remember him (as a racehorse, rather than experiencing Extreme Hairdressing) if he hadn’t won the Dewhurst?[/i]

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

peter beaumonts HUSSARD COLLONGES, never mentioned before the sun alliance, never did anything after it.
    also, bit before my time, but CHARTER PARTY won a gold cup and did jack [expletive] after it.

Apart from being placed in another Gold Cup and a Whitbread of course. Remember he wasn’t a youngster when he won that Gold Cup and had very bad feet. He also won the Ritz Club Chase at a previous festival before a spell on the sidelines.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Yahoo, perhaps, for running Dessie as close as he did in the Gold Cup? On the basis of other runs either side I never thought he was quite as good a 3m+ chaser as some suggested.

gc

He got his revenge on Desert Orchid at Aintree, though, didn’t he? :wink:

strawbear
    Participant
    • Total Posts 229

only cus dessie fell

Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Rather reversing the idea, but what about Carvills Hill as a horse remembered mainly for the one race he lost (the Gold Cup), rather than the many races he won.

AP

Most horses covered from the main thread so back to this…

Dayjur :(

Hayley Bell
    • Total Posts 7

Surprised nobody mentioned Reel Buddy. Perhaps because nobody remembers him?

Two I’ve seen mentioned who may have been nominated unfairly are Celtic Swing as I remember him as the ‘at least he won a classic’ horse of 94.

Also, Hussard Collonges managed an excellent second in the 2003 Peter Marsh and was considered a lively contender for that years Gold Cup on the back of that run.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.