The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Oh Dear Nicky MacKay

Home Forums Horse Racing Oh Dear Nicky MacKay

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Better not look over the wrong shoulder mate :shock:

Cruising along on Bethany’s Boy in the 3:00, he decides to look over his right shoulder a few times whilst sat there with a double handful – only for the 2nd fav to nip up the inside. When McKay notices this, well the result is inevitable – it’s too late of course.

Mike

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

I backed Bethanys Boy at 2.3 and thank god I set up a lay in running at 1.3 or I would not have been impressed. One of the most embarrasing rides I have seen for a long time. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

batman
    • Total Posts 489

just watched the replay there shocking………. :shock:

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Cue McCririck calling for summary execution, 10 year ban, amputation of right hand etc…..

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Very stylish :lol:

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

That was so embarrassing! But he was so far over to the right, you’d have thought he’d have looked left as well as the 4 or 5 times he looked right.. Really thought the stewards would have done something. He probably wouldn’t have won but was an obvious mistake so should be penalised. Glad i wasn’t on it !

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

He must be a real liability when he’s trying to cross the road…

In all seriousness though that was an absolutely shocking display from Nicky McKay, and I can’t for the life of me work out why he didn’t look left at least once – he looked right, for prolonged periods, three or four times.

He’ll have plenty of time to think about how his neck works now, though I’m praying we don’t hear the usual ‘ah, poor lad, he’s gutted’ from connections.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Nicky McKay has agreed to be interviewed on ATR and answer some questions – think it’s after the next race at N-A-S.

Regardless of what he has to say, I say congrats to the lad for coming on and no doubt facing some stern questioning.

In my opinion he made a mistake, he hasn’t been punished and that’s the end of it. I have a feeling he will look over both shoulders the next time he finds himself in a similar situation.

Mike

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

If I was riding a horse to win a race for a renowned ‘gambling’ yard, and I knew I was cruising on the best horse, I wouldn’t look round very much at all and I’d make pretty damn sure I won the race. I might look round more if I wasn’t too keen on winning though.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Didn’t see the race but I am sharpening the axe in readiness. :wink:

Colin

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Ok it’s not the end of it :lol:

I thought it was a bit of a bizarre interview and I am left shaking my head as to why McKay wasn’t asked "why didn’t you look over your left shoulder aswell as your right one"? – Surely this is the reason for the controversy, not that the horse didn’t find much when let down.

McKay’s excuse for getting beat was that the horse barely stays the trip. This is a horse that has won no less than five times over the trip, finished runner-up a few times, and even finised runner-up over two furlong further.

Mike

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Who was doing the interviewing, Mikky?

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Who was doing the interviewing, Mikky?

Jason Weaver

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5687

It’s MACKAY, not McKay.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 410

Ive watched the race numerous times-He would have got beat.

It didnt look good but he was out on his legs final furlong.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.