The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

MIN came in for strong ante-post support again on Monday for the Sky Bet Supreme Novices’ Hurdle, but his performances and shortening price have not scared off Gigginstown House Stud and their star Tombstone.

Gigginstown will hood Tombstone for next month’s Deloitte Novice Hurdle on the way to a shot at Willie Mullins’ crack young hurdler.

“I think it’s fairly obvious at this stage that we’ll take everyone on,” said Gigginstown’s Eddie O’Leary. “Min was impressive on Saturday, no doubt, but at the moment Tombstone is our intended horse for the Supreme and we’ll find our own level with him.”

Tombstone is a shorter price for the Neptune Investments Novice Hurdle than the Supreme, for which he is a general 20-1, but O’Leary has taken enough solace from an unlucky second at Leopardstown last month to keep him in the picture for the two-mile festival opener.

“A lot of judges thought we should have won the Future Champions Novice Hurdle but things just didn’t happen for him and he’s a horse we think plenty of,” he said.

“He was a little keen the last day so we’ll stick a hood on for the Deloitte at Leopardstown [on February 6] and see how he gets on.”

O’Leary added: “I wouldn’t like to forget Petit Mouchoir either. He finished just behind Tombstone when they were second and third behind Long Dog at Christmas and both of our horses were having only their second run. And Disko is certainly in the mix”

Despite backing him at 168.0 to only a £9 stake, iv gone back in to a small stake at 20s in the supreme.
    I just think he’s a very special horse and at 20s Imo he’s massively over priced. I already have £38 at 110 for the neptune. And I think a larger return will complement my supreme book nicely.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Supreme
    Min 25/1 £40 win £1040 return
    Yanworth any race 12/1 £70 £910
    William henry 80.0 £9 lost stake
    Tombstone 110 £9 20/1 £10 return £1200
    Yorkhill 32.0 £50 return £1650
    Altior 7/1 £61 return £599
    Total outlay £249 with yanworth.
    Without yanworth £179.
    Returns ??

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Actually my tombstone is 168.0 for supreme £9 so return would be £1510 plus £10 at 20s = 1720.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Refer my post on the Triumph Hurdle; Yanworth almost certainly being re-routed to the Neptune with impressive juvenile winner Ivanovich Gorbatov being the JP likely one for the Supreme.

A good jockey doesn't need orders and a bad jockey couldn't carry them out; so it's best not to give them any.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

1 I’d be very suprised if Ivanovich gorbatov ran in the supreme.
    And 2 if he was good enough to win

Participant
    • Total Posts 33

Rocky91, prepare to be surprised, possibly twice.

A good jockey doesn't need orders and a bad jockey couldn't carry them out; so it's best not to give them any.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

There’s no way Buveur D’Air misses the festival unless injured.

He’ll be out in a couple of weeks

Henderson was talking about giving the horse another two runs before Cheltenham. Do you think that is likely to happen?

I’m expecting one in two or three weeks, maybe another a fortnight after. I’m not aware of any 2 mile races on trials day but there’s Ascot and Newbury. Hopefully he doesn’t have to run him in the Dovecote at Kempton because that coule be a little too close to the festival. Both Al Ferof and Menorah had their last runs in mid Feb before winning their Supremes. Something like 8 of the last 24 had run no more than twice.

From Nicky

” Buveur D’Air, who won on his hurdling debut at Newbury, is in work and we’re just waiting to run him again. He could run in the Dovecote (a race we have won three times in 12 years, including with Flown who went onto win the Supreme hurdle in 1992). The plan is for Buveur D’Air to join Altior at Cheltenham in March. “

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Does anyone know if Bachasson is still heading to Cheltenham and what his possible target might be?

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

According to lidia Hislop in an interview with willie last week on sporting life, he said its likely bachasson will go for the neptune and it deffinately won’t be the supreme.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Does anyone know if Bachasson is still heading to Cheltenham and what his possible target might be?

Im not any expert on what horses qualify for what races so i could be way out. But something like the county hurdle looks the only other option than the supreme. Maybe he doesn’t qualify, I don’t know. The horse seems to need 2miles on good ground to be seen at his best.

Participant
    • Total Posts 340

Yeah, I would have thought the Supreme would be better option….especially if Long Dog is going up in trip and it’s better ground come March…

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Willies already said he won’t be running over 2 miles. If he goes handicap wild be the Martin pipe. But his rating suggests they probably will go neptune along with long dog, bellshill and poss the giggingstown horse petit mouchoir

Participant
    • Total Posts 2926

Im not any expert on what horses qualify for what races so i could be way out. But something like the county hurdle looks the only other option than the supreme. Maybe he doesn’t qualify, I don’t know. The horse seems to need 2miles on good ground to be seen at his best.

He’d be eligible but the main issue there is Mullins putting a novice in one of the hottest handicaps of the season. Aux Ptit Soins wasn’t a novice but had only 3 runs to his name when Nicholls ran him in the Coral Cup

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Aux ptit soins also had a very lenient handicap mark. Bachasson is more exposed

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Can’t see bachasson making any impression over 2.5 miles if the word soft appears in the going. Some of the Mullins top gang might end up not going to Cheltenham. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was one that didn’t go

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Couple of boosts for Buveur D’Air’s form yesterday but still no signs of life. No chance of those two runs.

Probably an ordinary race but quite impressed with A Toi Phil. Not hard to see him finding another chunk of improvement on better ground. With Min in the Supreme and Barters Hill the Albert Bartlett, the Neptune still has a relatively open look.

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Stilvi I think the Bartlett still has an open look. Upforreview was seriously impressive on his last outing. Hard to know where to go with some of these horses.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.