The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks Novice Hurdlers 2015/16

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 120 total)
  • Author
    rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

The 10/1 is william hill. and yes I agree with you that after if he’s impressive in the challow he could end up in the neptune that’s why iv played it safe and gone any race.
    Love the way he dealt with bellshill as he loomed up behind him at aintree and just keeps finding more for pressure as he did with buveur dair the start before.
    and the first words of david bass after getting off him when beating Northill Harvey were that “he’s a monster”
    can’t see a horse with a better line of form than this feller.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Another nice form boost for yanworth with le prezien winning well today. Can’t wait to see him friday in what looks like a very good race.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Quite impressed with Yanworth. 16/1 for the Supreme looks pretty fair unless you think connections will be scared off if the ground is that much quicker. I thought at the time McCoy made a horlicks in the Bumper but you have to wonder whether it was a combination of the jock and just finding himself outpaced at a critical time. If Geraghty can get him close enough he should certainly be finishing up the hill.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Got yanworth at 25/1 neptune. 20/1 supreme and 12s any race.
    After that I would expect him to run in the supreme but it’s still nice not to have to worry just incase the small chance he steps up in trip.

If he runs in the supreme leaves me with
    Min 25/1
    Yanworth 20/1 and 12/1 any race
    Yorkhill 32.0 10s any race
    Moon racer 10/1 (setback)
    tombstone 168.0
    William henry 82.0
    Bellshill 42.0- 32.0 8s any race

Neptune
    Yanworth 25/1
    Min 50/1
    Bellshill 14/1 8/1 any race
    Yorkhill 16/1 10s any race
    Petit mouchoir 48.0
    American tom 50/1
    Disko 28.0
    Tombstone 110.0
    Long dog any race 12s

Albert bartlett
    Nambour 16/1
    Yorkhill 19s any race
    Bellshill 8s any race
    Long dog any race 12s
    Champers on ice 25/1 (regret this one put on before cheltenham run)
    Pylon the pressure 34.0- 18.0
    Barters hill to win any race 10/1
    Petit mouchoir 16/1 (unlikely runner, backed after gordon elliot said he wasn’t the quickest in the world but stayed all day long)

All win only.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

Unsurprising to see Barters Hill continually supported for the Bartlett, his form is stacking up extremely well. He and Yanworth have been the most impressive novices for me.

You’d really wonder how Min is half the price of Barters Hill for their respective likely targets.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Looking forward to the challow. Apart from barters hill, i Have no idea what the likely line up will be.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

He’ll of a race tomorrow at leopardstown with long dog bachasson petit mouchoir and tombstone.
    Couldn’t call it myself and going to be very interesting, I’m suprised long dog hasn’t been saved for the 2m4 lawyers hotel grade 1 at naas against bellshill.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Not the greatest news of Buveur D’Air yesterday but at least it sounds as if he is being aimed at the Supreme.

Horse who finished second to Min runs in tomorrow’s bumper at Leopardstown. Seems quite a strange choice of race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1141

Love Barters Hill, looks a proper racehorse!

My best bet of Cheltenham so far…form just keeps on stacking up and he’s the kind who just keeps finding and finding…reminds me a little of Coneygree in that he just goes out and does his stuff in a no nonsense style! Think Coral are much nearer the mark with their 7/2 than the ones still showing 6/1!

Threw him in a multiple the other day with two others who I was impressed with in the last week….Altior for the Supreme and Long Dog for the Neptune….all three shown something I really like in a novice with a view to backing them at Cheltenham….all found plenty when asked a question and dug in and responded well off the bridle….and all three impressive in their respective wins…

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1200

Up for Review has just absolutely destroyed jetstream Jack and nambour in punchestown

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Certainly was impressive, my only poor bet so far backing nambour for the bartlett ahead of up for review who I just thought got exposed in bumpers.
    Willie said he ran him too much last year and is likely he won’t run again before chelt.
    Also he spoke about soft ground not being in up for reviews favour and certainly not a preferance as I had heard people banding around previously.
    For this reason iv gritted my teeth and gone in at 8s with hills and also backed shantou village any race at 10s.
    Already on barters hill any race at 10s
    If either barters or shantou go neptune the other 2 will drop dramatically in price.

The only other I like who iv backed at big prices on the machine is pylon thepressure, he ran with great credit in the punchestown champion bumper behind bellshill and also behind tombstone in his maiden hurdle, well clear of the rest.
    In both races he was running over an inadequate trip and Imo he will improve for a step up in trip and showed great heart in his previous bumpers.
    Hope to see him out in another maiden hurdle soon over 2m4 +

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Certainly was impressive, my only poor bet so far backing nambour for the bartlett ahead of up for review who I just thought got exposed in bumpers.
    Willie said he ran him too much last year and is likely he won’t run again before chelt.
    Also he spoke about soft ground not being in up for reviews favour and certainly not a preferance as I had heard people banding around previously.
    For this reason iv gritted my teeth and gone in at 8s with hills and also backed shantou village any race at 10s.
    Already on barters hill any race at 10s
    If either barters or shantou go neptune the other 2 will drop dramatically in price.

The only other I like who iv backed at big prices on the machine is pylon thepressure, he ran with great credit in the punchestown champion bumper behind bellshill and also behind tombstone in his maiden hurdle, well clear of the rest.
    In both races he was running over an inadequate trip and Imo he will improve for a step up in trip and showed great heart in his previous bumpers.
    Hope to see him out in another maiden hurdle soon over 2m4 +

It sounds as if single-handedly you are keeping the ante-post market going. How many bets have you had?

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

Very very happy with my book, like you said iv backed plenty but I have staked accordingly so I win evenly. And having horses at huge prices that are now favs has allowed me the luxury of being able to go back in and back horses like shantou village and up for review.
    Because coupled in each race I still have atleast 4/1 in each race. With all the main market principles covered at double figured prices.

The pick of my bets are
    Tombstone 168.0 supreme 110/1 neptune
    Min 25/1 supreme
    Douvan 3/1
    Yanworth 12s any race
    Bellshill 14s neptune 8s any races
    Shaneshill 17.55 jlt 8s any race
    Yorkhill 10s any race 32.0 supreme
    Long dog 12s any race
    Barters hill 10s any race.
    Thistle crack 25/1 world hurdle
    More of that 16s rsa
    Kilultagh vic 24.0 rsa
    Djakadam 14/1 GC
    Ivanovich gorbitov 25/1 Triumph
    Nicholls canyon ch 20/1 ew max bet.
    Faugheen ch 5/2 and max bet 6/4.

My poor bets are townshend supreme
    Clondaw court world hurdle
    And Nambour albert bartlett

Got most right

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Unfortunately, the problem is at the moment you haven’t actually got anything right. Rather like a team of superstar footballers they do have to go out and deliver. Although the likes of Faugheen and Douvan are not surprisingly very short, the time for celebration is March. As an example I backed Djakadam a couple of times at 50/1 for last year’s Gold Cup. Had it won it would have been my biggest ever individual winning bet, but as we all now know a certain Coneygree was parachuted in at the last minute and the rest as they say is history. This year Coneygree is sidelined and Djakadam looks as likelier winner as anything but the cat is well and truly out of the bag in terms of price. That’s racing, as a punter you can bet the next kick in the teeth isn’t too far away.

Without a doubt you have some very promising bets. I have backed four of them myself but I am loathe to back too many as I roughly work to one winner covering pretty much all ante-post bets and a couple of winners returning a profit. That said I have always said it is the end result that matters, not how you got there.

Good luck with all of yours, particularly the four of mine!

Just wondered do you have any ‘help’ regarding Willie Mullins or is it all your own work?

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 439

I have a list of all willies novices and new recruits which I compiled myself by searching agonisingly through france galop deportations list for the private sales, which is where I found min And the NH and arqana auction sales lists.

People will not agree with me, but all willies horses I pick on the form and what i believe there ability to be but in regards to there targets i use a line through paddy powers odds. Whatever there standout top price on, I will not touch, whatever they are shortest about or don’t have at all in the market for the betting in that race interests me alot.
    Nicholls canyon been 8s all summer for the champion and standout for wh
    Yorkhill they put straight in the market at 12s for the supreme.
    Min they haven’t laid above 14s.
    Bellshill neptune were lowest price 10s
    And up for review they diddnt add to the market until yesterday at 7s
    Limini lowest price 5/1
    And more interesting to me is karalee who they haven’t got in the market at all yet for the mares novice hurdle

Imo hell of a job by the traders.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5577

I wasn’t blown away by Bellshill yesterday, and was surprised to see him trimmed to a general 4/1 for the Neptune post race. To be fair to the horses it wasn’t a day where anything was going to look particularly impressive but he made pretty heavy weather if things. The race fell apart somewhat with Stone Hard pulling up and Anibale Fly seemingly not on a going day, and a lot more will surely be needed to win the Neptune.

I was far more impressed with Yorkhill who won the Tolworth with more in hand than the winning distance suggested. He looks to have the more improvement in him of the Wylie pair, and they face a difficult decision as to which horse they send where.

Up For Review must go for the Albert Bartlett. Yorkhill has looked the pick of the trio for me and versatile as regards trip. He has more speed than Bellshill imo but the Neptune looks the weaker division at this early stage and the best chance of a Wylie horse winning a novice hurdle at Cheltenham is if they send Yorkhill here.

Unfortunately I would think it’s odds on Yorkhill runs in the Supreme, where he’ll be a big player but will have some serious opposition to take on. I had a small bet on him at 14/1 for the two miler a couple of months ago but Yanworth is my selection at this stage at 12/1. He has looked very good and was one of the unluckiest losers of the festival in the bumper last year.

Looking at the Neptune market, I’d like to find something to take Bellshill on with, but it’s not easy. Gigginstown have a few nice young horses, Tombstone ran a cracker behind Long Dog while Disko is very interesting though hasn’t been sighted for a while now. These are the two most interesting ones for me but have backed nothing here yet.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6114

Rocky, well done on all your hard work. I normally take little interest ante-post in novice hurdlers, mostly because Mullins is so hard to call.

But I will say that this year, Altior might just spike all the Irish guns in The Supreme.

Viewing 17 posts - 35 through 51 (of 120 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.