The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Norton’s Coin Trophy

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Norton’s Coin Trophy

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1281

I thought that this race deserves its own thread; only the three runners at Ffos Las tomorrow but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a better early-season novice chase anywhere.

Fiddlerontheroof is the hype horse and boasts Grade 1 form over hurdles, having won last season’s Tolworth in fine style, but If The Cap Fits was also successful at the highest level over hurdles- defeating those redoubtable mares Roksana and Apple’s Jade in the 2019 Liverpool Hurdle; interestingly, Harry Fry’s gelding is rated 17 lbs above his younger rival by Timeform.

Emitom will probably be the outsider of the three but is himself a Grade 2 winner over hurdles; he also performed with credit when fourth in the Stayers’ Hurdle at Cheltenham in March.

As I’ve said, it’s a cracking little race and definitely one to watch rather than invest in heavily. I’ve always stuck to the unwritten rule of never backing odds-on first time over fences but I doubt that If The Cap Fits will go off favourite, given the presence of Fiddlerontheroof, and he earns my tentative vote.

Venture to CognacVenture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 17713

I’ve a feeling Fiddlerontheroof will turn out very good, but agree, couldn’t have a bet here.

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1281

Just had a look on Oddschecker and the best prices are 7-4 Fiddler, 15-8 Emitom and 2-1 ITCP. I wonder if we’ll see them all go off as co-favourites? :unsure:

TakeYourTime
    Participant
    • Total Posts 14

I also feel that Fiddlerontheroof could go to the next level over fences and i hope he can win this. That said, all 3 are fantastic horses and whichever order they finish in you would be delighted owning any of them.

He Didnt Like Ground
    Participant
    • Total Posts 444

The definitive watch don’t bet race ….

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3204

I’ve gone with the “outsider of 3” rule and backed ITCF.

Cork All Star
    Participant
    • Total Posts 536

Nice enough performance by If The Cap Fits. He seemed to jump a lot better once the pace quickened.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3204

:good:
    Robbie Power thinking of bigger days on Fiddler and he was the horse to take from it for me. ITCF speedier but smaller and it’s more effort for him.

GladiateurGladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1281

Nice performances from the first two; ITCF looked like the run would bring him on but basically outstayed Fiddler. Wouldn’t be surprised if they went in different directions moving forward, with the winner stepping up to three miles and the runner-up dropping back to two.

I appreciate that he had the benefit of a previous run but I still can’t fathom how Emitom went off favourite; as mentioned yesterday, I’d have had him as the outsider of the trio.

The fact that the first two readily left him behind suggests that a positive view of the form should be taken.

FinalFurlong91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2139

Fiddler seemed to jump very well so it was dissapointing the ease with which if the cap fits cruised past him

A nice introduction to chasing for them both

If the cap fits will need to jump better when he is upped in grade to have a chance but there’s every chance he will improve in time

Maybe the 3 mile novice chase at Aintree will be his target as Cheltenham hasn’t looked his track

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3204

Agree about flat track for ITCF. Don’t know about the trip, two and a half or an easy 3 maybe. He reminds me a bit of Top Notch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.