The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 494 through 510 (of 529 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 27

Hoot nanny we are looking at roughly 20-odd finishers today i reckon. Last time the race was this competitive was Hedgehunters year in 05 on the same ground. Course with that said; the fourth fence out in the country is riding miles higher than usual. Just watch the Topham yesterday; Dev could berely see over it. I know i’m predicting a lot of finishers, but there is a big chance of a real pile up at that one today. It’s very similar to an incident in 1970 when the first open ditch was riding just about as high as the chair and caused pileup’s not only in the foxhunters, but on both circuits of the National aswell!

Every year i like to guess how each horse will do in terms of finishing, falling etc. There’s really no guessing who could go down at the 4th/20th, so i’m going to pretend it’s all normal. Well this year i share with you… my guess!

Don’t Push It – 0
    Tidal Bay – U
    What A Friend – 0
    Vic Venturi – 2
    Majestic Concorde – 0
    Or Noir De Somoza – F
    Dooneys Gate – P
    Big Fella Thanks – 0
    The Tother One – 1
    Ballabriggs – 0
    The Midnight Club – 0
    Niche Market – P
    Silver By Nature – 3
    Backstage – F
    Chief Dan George – 4
    Calgary Bay – F
    Killyglen – F
    Oscar Time – 5
    Quinz – 0
    Becauseicouldntsee – 0
    Comply Or Die – 0
    Quolibet – P
    Grand Slam Hero – F
    State Of Play – 0
    King Fontaine – U
    In Compliance – P
    Hello Bud – P
    West End Rocker – 0
    Santas Sun – F
    Bluesea Cracker – 0
    That’s Rhythm – 0
    Piraya – 0
    Can’t Buy Time – F
    Character Building – 0
    Ornais – 0
    Arbor Supreme – U
    Royal Rosa – P
    Skippers Brig – 0
    Golden Kite – 0

I realise of the 5 i pointed out last time; i have 2 of them falling, but i could easily be wrong on both accounts and i thought at such big odds they were worth the risk…

Any reason for Surface to Air to be missing or do you know something i don’t :wink:

Pat123
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3078

Today’s race is even more wide open than normal. I could pick ten and not find the winner. Eventually I’ve opted for Backstage and Arbor Supreme with small bets on Skippers Brig, West End Rocker and Surface To Air aswell.

Just hope they don’t go too fast down to the first.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Just calculated the over-round of

best

prices at Aintree.

146.2%

Those generous Aintree bookies. :roll:

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 2440

Ornais and Dooney’s Gate, died.

RIP.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1761

Ornais and Dooneys Gate are the fatalities, according to the BBC

SharkEnergy
    • Total Posts 38

Calgary Bay is alive (they probably guessed that based off it falling at the same fence Ornais died at). Dooney’s Gate died too.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

But hey well done to Ballabrigs and connections, eh!?

SharkEnergy
    • Total Posts 38

Yes it was an awesome race. I thought Graham Lee had reserved enough energy on Big Fella Thanks jumping the last in 2nd/3rd but alas he didn’t last home again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 221

Ballabriggs get in there my son!!

What a ride by Macguire, great recovery a couple of fences out. Great to see the horse is ok too, what a reception they got. I think Donald McCain enjoyed that more than he taught he would. Wouldnt bet against him having a few more wins in the race in years to come.

My other bets were majestic concorde whose saddled slip, very unlucky as i think he would of been in the frame. And also character building and Dont Push It who ran a very credible race in third under the Champ.

For me the national is the biggest race of the year for pure excitement. Cheltemham is great but its nothing compared to national Saturday at Aintree for sheer spectacle!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 1704

Absolutely gutted Vic Venturi brought down 2 years in a row.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Pleased to see Sea Pigeons list go right out of the window, theories and form almost never work with the G National.
    Sadness that 2 horses lost their lives, but glad it was only 2 the pace they ran.
    Very glad to see R Johnson pull up the talented but relatively baby Quinz before he was f*****d up.
    I thought it was a good one, all the horses that made the final 5 totally deserved their places. Well done to all the horses that made it round that course of jumps, and RIP to those that didn’t.

Participant
    • Total Posts 819

Pleased to see Sea Pigeons list go right out of the window, theories and form almost never work with the G National.

Bet he can afford nice fancy windows now though, Ballabriggs was one of the ones that met his criteria and he backed to win a grand.

Participant
    • Total Posts 385

Ballabriggs get in there my son!!

What a ride by Macguire, great recovery a couple of fences out. Great to see the horse is ok too, what a reception they got. I think Donald McCain enjoyed that more than he taught he would. Wouldnt bet against him having a few more wins in the race in years to come.

My other bets were majestic concorde whose saddled slip, very unlucky as i think he would of been in the frame. And also character building and Dont Push It who ran a very credible race in third under the Champ.

For me the national is the biggest race of the year for pure excitement. Cheltemham is great but its nothing compared to national Saturday at Aintree for sheer spectacle!!

A superb run, by a superb horse. Almost looked like old Rummy flying up there with his sheepskin noseband!! I had a few pennies on all the first 5 home. We ain’t talking big bucks here, just the satisfaction,(and relief!) of seeing my choices home safe!

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Great run from Ballabrigs. Never fancied him at all.

But for me, what an absolutely fabulous run from Surface to Air, left at the start then got himself into contention on the second circuit before fading into 7th. This horse had barely run in the past 3 years and was an utter credit to Chris Bealby and his team.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

El superbio.
    Dominated for most of the race, not a fluke winnner because of the fallers.
    I like horses that race prominently so Ballabriggs is my type of horse.

The price was something like 25 to 1 I believe and I don’t think I saw him among the fancied horses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Sadness that 2 horses lost their lives, but glad it was only 2 the pace they ran.
    Very glad to see R Johnson pull up the talented but relatively baby Quinz before he was f*****d up.
    I thought it was a good one, all the horses that made the final 5 totally deserved their places. Well done to all the horses that made it round that course of jumps, and RIP to those that didn’t.

What the f*** are you on about? Sea Pigeon had the winner?

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

El superbio.
    Dominated for most of the race, not a fluke winnner because of the fallers.
    I like horses that race prominently so Ballabriggs is my type of horse.

The price was something like 25 to 1 I believe and I don’t think I saw him among the fancied horses.

Erm, I think he went off at 14s, and was around that from around the time the weights were released. I even think he might’ve been antepost favourite at one stage.

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Viewing 17 posts - 494 through 510 (of 529 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.