The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2011

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2011

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 529 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

Keep seeing Quotes for Denman for Grand National. He will not be entered.

From Paul Nicholls Facebook page (via his Twitter feed)

I don’t know how Denman would get on round Aintree but it’d be great to see him give it a go.

• Total Posts 980

I’d rather he didn’t to be honest.

The handicapper would have him for breakfast.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I don’t think he was going to anyway, it was Harry Findley who wanted him to more than anyone, and now he is no longer involved.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

I am happy to hear this, imo, its best all round.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Think everyone knows that Denman runing in the Grand National would be suicide, the horse is too prestigious in Racing history to be used as a throw around in a 4 mile joke of a race.

Denmand running 2nd/3rd or what ever in the Gold Cup this year would mean more to the horse and his owners and lets not forget racing itself, he’s been part of a fantastic battle in recent years with Kauto, the over hyped Imperial Commander so lets all gather our bags, put on our coats and drive to Cheltenham to see another fantastic piece of folk law.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1656

This was kind of obvious, he’s not a 4 1/2 mile horse. Maybe put him in an undercard race on National Day for the same huge audience. Or truck him on over to France or a certain American timber race. Having him run the same couple races each season gets kind of boring.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Very few past National contenders (and winners) are what you would deem 4 and 1/2 mile horses.

Remember Crisp?

Champion 2 miler; who but for top weight, Red Rum and the burden of Dick Pitman on his back, could quite conceivably have won the race.

That said, I am quite glad the decision has been taken not to run Denman. Like Arkle, he is too good a horse to be subjected to that gruelling, annual free for all.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

If it’s a good thing not to have Denman run in the National, then by definition it’s not a good race. Clearly academic, but all arguments against running him other than a general disparagement for the race itself are without foundation. He would jump, he would stay and he would have less weight to carry than the diminutive Red Rum in 1974. He’d also find the other 39 runners in the handicap proper, of course!

• Total Posts 2440

I personally think that after his fine display at the weekend, he should go straight to the Gold Cup, after a nice break following a very brave effort on Saturday.

He obviously goes very well fresh, even more so now that he is getting older, and i replicate Sam Thomas’ view from the weekend, that Denman’s performance on Saturday, was on a par with his best.

I think if Nicholls and connections can get him to Cheltenham in March, fit and raring to go, and no AON Chase, he will have a big chance in the Gold Cup.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

The Hennessey confirmed just where

Denman

fits into the Who"s who of geat horses,prior to the race it seemed so called experts still thought he could win! It can be taken on trust that Denman turned out in tip top condition and he ran his heart out in a race that suits his profile,if he brings the same form to Cheltenham he"s still a Gold Cup player as for the National he would be a good thing if every horse had to carry 11-10 around that course but to expect him to do it to official ratings would probably kill him and he doesn"t deserve that! P,Nicholls has got the National winner this year or i"m not

Gullible Gordon

!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Gullible Gordon

‘s only chance of winning the National would be if they held it as a time trial! He simply cannot deal with jumping among other horses.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Gullible Gordon

‘s only chance of winning the National would be if they held it as a time trial! He simply cannot deal with jumping among other horses.

Where do you get that idea from Rory? He was warming up just nicely before he was brought down by colliding with Irish Raptor,Gullible Gordon is still only 7yo and improving,if he gets an entry he looks like the type to take to it just fine! You surprise me! :shock:

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9224

Think everyone knows that Denman runing in the Grand National would be suicide, the horse is too prestigious in Racing history to be used as a throw around in a 4 mile joke of a race.

Where to start Mr W…

…let’s begin by asking why the National is a ‘joke of a race’?

Participant
    • Total Posts 32903

Denman would stand a great chance in the National, in fact a better chance than in a Hennessey. That’s if he went there without a Gold Cup battle.
    Usually jumps well, stays well, goes on soft or good. Unlike the Hennessey, the National favours horses with experience and is against those younger Diamond Harry / Burton Port types, the sort that can show dramatic improvement. And we know the handicapper brings down the marks of top weights.

If the Grand National is unsafe for Denman, it is unsafe for every horse. Just because he is well loved by the public, does not mean a normal handicapper’s life should mean any less. I think people judge the National too harshly, it is not the race it was 25 years ago, immensely different to Foinavon. It does the current race an injustice for that TV coverage to be transmitted every year as if it should make us glad there were so many fallers. I remember in the 80’s when there were fallers at Becher’s Brook saying I would not bet on the race again. But changes were made and it is a safer race nowadays.

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 1402

Denman would stand a great chance in the National, in fact a better chance than in a Hennessey. That’s if he went there without a Gold Cup battle.
    Usually jumps well, stays well, goes on soft or good. Unlike the Hennessey, the National favours horses with experience and is against those younger Diamond Harry / Burton Port types, the sort that can show dramatic improvement. And we know the handicapper brings down the marks of top weights.

If the Grand National is unsafe for Denman, it is unsafe for every horse. Just because he is well loved by the public, does not mean a normal handicapper’s life should mean any less. I think people judge the National too harshly, it is not the race it was 25 years ago, immensely different to Foinavon. It does the current race an injustice for that TV coverage to be transmitted every year as if it should make us glad there were so many fallers. I remember in the 80’s when there were fallers at Becher’s Brook saying I would not bet on the race again. But changes were made and it is a safer race nowadays.

I agree 100% Ginger and would add that his massive size can only be considered an asset when jumping the National fences. The sad fact is that horses can die during the course of any race. If you want to protect the stars of the jumps world they would all have to stay in their boxes.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If the Grand National is unsafe for Denman, it is unsafe for every horse.

Dissagree strongly m"lud! I would bet money any horse asked to lug 11-10 round Aintree is going to feel the consequences far more than a horse carrying 10 stone,he"s not carrying it over park fences for 3 miles but the toughest stamina sapping sort for 41/2m and you dont need to be a Mathematician to know that!

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Where to start Mr W…

…let’s begin by asking why the National is a ‘joke of a race’?

I hope you"ve noticed how disciplined i"ve been Corm? :roll:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 529 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.