The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Newbury- two horse fatalities, electrical problem in paddock

Home Forums Horse Racing Newbury- two horse fatalities, electrical problem in paddock

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 326 total)
  • Author
    deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

And while we’re going down the route of "what ifs"

What if it was Red Rum in the parade ring, or Arkle or Shergar?

Where do you want the list to end, Mr Wilson?

Because it started with a horse that not only has been retired for nearly 2 years but never actually set foot on Newbury racecourse, at least not during the jumps season!

Now see how ridiculous "what ifs" are?

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

Here’s one for the "what if" brigade.

WHAT IF the two horses actually suffered heart attacks almost at the same time?

Now I know that the electrocution theory is top of the list & is the most likely outcome, but for chatting inanely on a forum’s sake, open your minds to the heart attack theory.

In nearly 20 years of going racing around 30+ days a year, I have witnessed two horses keel over before a race.

Ackzo of Ferdy Murphy’s who died in the saddling area at Uttoxeter, and a pointer of Sheila Crow’s who died in the paddock at Tabley.

For two horses too keel over almost simultaneously after another (The Merry Giant) had behaved anomalously a few moments previously immediately would ring alarm bells that something was very wrong.

To run that race in such circumstances was in my view irresponsible.

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

Now I know that the electrocution theory is top of the list & is the most likely outcome, but for chatting inanely on a forum’s sake, open your minds to the heart attack theory.

In nearly 20 years of going racing around 30+ days a year, I have witnessed two horses keel over before a race.

Ackzo of Ferdy Murphy’s who died in the saddling area at Uttoxeter, and a pointer of Sheila Crow’s who died in the paddock at Tabley.

For two horses too keel over almost simultaneously after another (The Merry Giant) had behaved anomalously a few moments previously immediately would ring alarm bells that something was very wrong.

Even though a qualified vet gave all 8 horses the all clear (Henderson took the decision to withdraw Kid Cassidy anyway) and the race was run fine with no casualties?

How do you declare it irresponsible when you don’t have the full facts in front of you?

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

I’ve never seen two horses electrocuted, but they may have happened yesterday. But who knows? Maybe they weren’t?

And you’ve not opened your mind to the possibility of them not being electrocuted, have you?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Deep Sensation, given all that’s been established, your ‘simultaneous heart attack’ theory is about credible as the ‘zapped by martians’ theory that was also rattling around in your head!

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

Deep Sensation, given all that’s been established, your ‘simultaneous heart attack’ theory is about credible as the ‘zapped by martians’ theory that was also rattling around in your head!

If you bothered to read what I put instead of making insults, I said "while we are going down the road of WHAT IFS"

I also stated that the electrocuted theory is most likely the correct one.

I also asked for people to look at another angle. If it wasn’t electrocution that killed the horses but maybe natural courses WHAT DO YOU THINK OF NEWBURY’S DECISION TO ABANDON?

If you’re going to take the time to insult me, at least have the manners to read my post properly

Participant
    • Total Posts 650

And you’ve not opened your mind to the possibility of them not being electrocuted, have you?

I said nothing at all about electrocution – what I did say was that the unprecedented sight of two horses undergoing simultaneous fatal injury in the paddock would in my view, as a very regular racegoer, set off alarm bells that something was very wrong. And in that circumstance I think it was irresponsible to run the race without a better understanding of what had happened and why.

As for the horses – yes the vets passed them fit, but the post-race assessment of The Merry Giant as traumatised – as reported by the Post – tends to suggest that they weren’t all Ok.

Anyway that’s my view. You have yours and I have mine.

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

you and I may be regular racegoers but neither of us are vets! The qualified vets checked all of the horses & they were declared fit to run and the race went ahead without any casualties!

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

I said nothing at all about electrocution – what I did say was that the unprecedented sight of two horses undergoing simultaneous fatal injury in the paddock would in my view, as a very regular racegoer, set off alarm bells that something was very wrong. And in that circumstance I think it was irresponsible to run the race without a better understanding of what had happened and why.

As for the horses – yes the vets passed them fit, but the post-race assessment of The Merry Giant as traumatised – as reported by the Post – tends to suggest that they weren’t all Ok.

Anyway that’s my view. You have yours and I have mine.

How many horses finish a race distressed? Should Leopardstown have abandoned yesterday after that horse died after the line (sorry, can’t remember it’s name)?

IF, and it’s a huge IF the 2 horses did not die of electrocution but in a bizarre coincidence of natural causes, what would you then think of Newbury’s decision to abandon? Still a correct one or would you jump into Philip Hobbs’ camp & they should of continued racing anyway?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Insult? Blimey, your a sensitive one!

I read your post and still think the question you’re asking is rather peculiar.

"If it wasn’t electrocution that killed the horses but maybe natural courses WHAT DO YOU THINK OF NEWBURY’S DECISION TO ABANDON?"

The fact that Newbury had no clue what caused the fatalities AT THE TIME, gave them no option to abandon REGARDLESS of any martian zapping shenanigans that may come to light, my little flower.

What an odd question to pose!

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

I was just putting stuff out there to see how people would think, or if they would think. Maybe a bit too much to ask on a racing forum ;)

Although I suppose it got you thinking

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

Nothing wrong with thinking ‘what if’ DS.

I asked earlier what might have happened had the jockeys been on board when the horses stepped onto the grass.

And I also think it’s fair to suggest that there would have been an even bigger outcry had it been a really high profile horse that had been killed. After all, all human life arguably has the same value but some deaths are more newsworthy and provoke more reaction than others.

But, before we get into a philosophical debate about the value of respective lives, I agree we should wait for the facts to emerge before drawing conclusions.

deep sensation
    • Total Posts 139

At least your "what if" was a viable one!

I still love to know why we do the "what ifs" and look at the dark side of things. It seems that I seldom hear someone saying "what if" and looking on the bright side. I know I fall into it myself & I kick myself for doing it.

"What if" means it didn’t happen. We should just deal with what happened but, for some reason, our minds wander off to worse case scenarios.

Getzippy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1152

I finally got down to reading this leviathan thread and it certainly surprised.

As I type, I’m actually not sure how I feel about Joncol’s incessant arm waving. Although he went on too long banging the same drum and coming across as an attention seeker his posts pose the question of what should be allowed on a forum.

Really tricky that.

I do agree he should have been deactivated for a while just to calm down for a bit, but paradoxically, he made the debate more…I suppose if I’m honest, entertaining. :oops:

I agree with the poster that said passion is important in posting on here – so is intelligence and rationale. We’re not always going to get the three at the same time, though.

One of the best things about TRF is the mature way it is monitored/run, it always seems like deleting posts/links or users is the last resort – which is commendable in my book.

We’ve got to be as open as possible to all opinions as otherwise we limit the debate and richness of the user base.

I guess I’m now guilty of going off on a tangent as well! (so I’ll hold my hands up quickly and admit it :wink: )

Twas a very black day for racing, no doubt. Personally I can see why they ran the first race as they did not think those horses that ran were affected. maybe in hindsight that was wrong, but it’s always easy in hindsight…

Officials did call off racing which we all (?) seem to agree was the right decision.

There is still little info as to what happened apart from cables being removed from the paddock area.

I can’t think of any situation that is similar to Saturday’s events.

Zip

Participant
    • Total Posts 1403

When I first heard of the incident (I was in the betting office writing out my £20 straight win bet on Solatino for the main race), my initial thought/what if/theory was that the horses had been shot by some nutter with a taser :?

Presto
    • Total Posts 315

If two horses dropped dead simultaneously in the parade ring with other horses acting strangely in Hong Kong, where 9 million pounds is bet on every race (and thus 70 to 90 million per raceday), the races would have been instantly called off by the territory’s highly organized and competent Jockey Club.

What happened was that two horses dropped dead at the same time, and another went to ground on his hind legs… that is an extraordinarily unnatural occurrence. The races should have been instantly called off.
    The vet passed horses fit to run but The Merry Giant was "badly traumatised" and tailed out. In hindsight running the race was a mistake, and I believe that even without hindsight they should have called it off.

The What If it were natural causes scenario is ridiculous. Kid Cassidy went down as well before the two horses died, so it would be akin to the martian scenario.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

I’ve never seen two horses electrocuted, but they may have happened yesterday. But who knows? Maybe they weren’t?

That would be all well and dandy if the lads and lasses of the horses hadn’t got a shock off the animals on the ground, and if they had not got burns in their mouths around the bit.

Viewing 17 posts - 290 through 306 (of 326 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.