The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Neptune Novices

Home Forums Archive Topics Neptune Novices

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 167 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7066

I said SIMONSIG in Albert Bartlett the speed he showed on hurdle debut i think he go for this race instead.And if all fancied horses stand there ground this friday could be a mini version of this race.

SIMONSIG 14/1 to win this race at Cheltenham.

Any other fancies from you guys.

Perpetual
    Participant
    • Total Posts 432

I think Simonsig is a cert to run in the Albert Bartlett as the race is sponsored by the owners dad

For me Fingal Bay is the one, but am loathe to get involved as you’ve no way of knowing whether it will be this race or the Neptune he turns up in

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

Mount Benbulben for me if he runs in this race.

GDC
    • Total Posts 942

Great run there from both Fingal Bay and Simonsig in what was the best novice event seen this season! If Fingal Bay goes for this race he wins and i think Simonsig will take in whatever event Fingal doesn’t!

Both jumped extremely well and looked class horses, happy with the 10s and 8s Fingal Bay now :D

Steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5783

Simonsig won’t run in AB according RP post-race report

This has gone to some really smart sorts over the years, including the likes of What´s Up Boys (1999), Coolnagorna (2002), Inglis Drever (2003) and Neptune Collonges (2005), and the latest winner looks high class. Indeed, both FINGAL BAY and Simonsig did extremely well to pull so far clear of some decent types from off a slow early pace.

The way the race unfolded wouldn´t have suited Fingal Bay, who is very much a galloper, so it´s to his immense credit he wore down the strong-travelling runner-up, and also thrashed the third much further than at Cheltenham last time. He looked vulnerable turning into the straight, but there was only going to be one winner once he got the Henderson horse off the bridle.

Fingal Bay is held in high regard by Philip Hobbs and was taking his record to 4-4. His grinding style and tough nature are reminiscent of Iris´s Gift and he can do even better when faced with more of a test. The Challow is next on his agenda, and at the Festival he´ll probably be best off in the 3m Albert Bartlett unless the ground is soft, in which case the Neptune will be worth a shot.

This was a first major test for Simonsig, who had landed an Irish bumper confined to ex-pointers and won impressively on his debut for this yard at Ascot (a race in which his trainer has been known to run a good one). He came up just short, but enhanced his reputation in defeat. It was impossible not to be impressed by how easily he travelled into the straight, having jumped well, and although he couldn´t crack the winner once off the bridle, he stuck on having initially looked set to weaken. Despite this one´s pointing background, he clearly has plenty of pace, and a flatter track and/or quicker ground really should suit better. He could be a big threatif re-opposing the winner in the Challow,

but with the longer term in mind Nicky Henderson ruled out the Albert Bartlett

, a race sponsored by the horse´s owner.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4518

I think it was pretty obvious that having been outstayed Simonsig wouldn’t be targetting the Albert Bartlett.

These are the best two novices so far so every right to still aim for the Neptune particularly as the likely quicker should suit him better than today’s winner. If it came up soft there is the option to miss Cheltenham altogether and go for the Aintree race that Spirit Son won last year.

WelshWizard1973
    • Total Posts 185

It would be interesting if Henderson dropped Simonsig back to 2 miles next time out as he looked all pace at Sandown so I wouldn’t mind betting that he could end up in the Supreme Novices.

I’ve had a little early play on Sous Les Cieux in this race at next years festival at 14/1.

Mullins was previously quoted as saying "I don’t think I’ve another novice like him”.

I was impressed with his run in the Royal Bond Novices hurdle over 2 miles last weekend but he was ridden like a 2m 5F horse in that race. Walsh also reckons that he’ll be even better over further.

Zarkava
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4704

My Soux Les Chioux concern is that Mullins also said he’s not in a rush to step him up in trip because he has many other novice hurdlers who are stayers. No idea which race he’s going for at this stage.

WelshWizard1973
    • Total Posts 185

Possibly although he did say for now.

Mullins often likes to step horses up in trip for the Festival and if you look back you’ll see that Fiveforthree ran over 2m on his only start over hurdles before he won the Neptune, Mikael D’Haguenet won over 2m on his last start over hurdles before he won the Neptune and So Young (unlucky third as favourite for Neptune last season) also ran over 2m on his last start before that good Neptune run.

Fingers crossed for me anyway! :lol:

Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 421

I’ve had a little tickle on Hazy Tom at 20s today. Hopefully he wins this afternoon and the price shortens. I don’t think he’ll have the pace for the Supreme. His trainer mentioned that he was crying out for the step up in trip and is only running over the minimum distance today because of the ground.

Fingal Bay is obviously a class act, but the price has gone.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

Simonsig should go for the Neptune. Second to a decent rival doesn’t mean he needs dropping back in trip. Everything about him says 2 1/2 miles.

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

boston bob looks a serious player after his win at navan. admittedly he probably didn’t achieve much, as the favourite mount benbulen jumped terribly at times and nothing else got into it.

but he looks a big black beast of a horse, and although he’s likely to be even better over fences given his size, I wouldn’t underestimate his changes at cheltenham. fingal bay is the horse everyone is talking about but i’d give him a swerve, as he’s yet to achieve a decent time figure.

Jaralosh
    • Total Posts 15

It will be interesting to see where Willie Mullins places Make Your Mark and Boston Bob, I would take a guess Boston Bob for the Albert Bartlett being the older of the two and out of Bob Back should relish the trip, and with Gigginstown not having too many obvious contenders for the Neptune i assume Make Your Mark will head down that route.

Also waiting to see what Weld does with Waaheb, he has already stated Galileo’s Choice is Supreme bound so could Waaheb enter the Neptune picture?

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

fingal bay is very short to win the challow hurdle today at newbury, however I have a feeling that he’s somewhat overrated given the amount of hype surrounding this horse (trainer has described how he could be the best he’s ever trained, etc ) and has yet to post any decent speed figures. we’ll learn more about him after todays race.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Well i’ve been thinking this

Fingal Bay

was going to be the fly in the ointment to my

Sea of Thunder

in the ‘Albert Bartlett’ so was hoping he’d go for the Neptune,after that performance in a Grade 1 Challow i fear him no longer so he can run where he likes as he wont win!Simple as that!

elgransenor1
    • Total Posts 625

question is whether he idled in front or just isn’t that good. jury is still out on that one. in some ways he oozes class but you would have expected more against that lot. presenter making a lot of the fact that challow hurdle winners have a terrible record in the neptune as well.

miniman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 16

He was definitely idling in front. The main worry for Cheltenham would be the ground.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 167 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.