The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Name changes of famous races

Home Forums Horse Racing Name changes of famous races

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

I see they’ve changed the names of both of tomorrows Predominate and Lupe Stakes at Goodwood to the Cocked Hat Stakes and Height of Fashion Stakes respectively.

Seems a shame their changing the wonderful old names of these races.  I suppose its all to do with money but I thought these types of races had their names ”protected” as it were?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

I agree totally. However, normally when a race is sponsored, they just stick the sponsor’s name in front of the traditional title, and that’s fine. Changing the name of a big race to suit a sponsor is just going to frustrate some fans and confuse others. I remember when I was younger it took me a year or two to recognise that the Paddy Power and the Thomas Pink were the same race, as I thought Thomas Pink was a person! :laugh:<br>On the other hand, I’m dreading the day that Hennessey pull out of Newbury, what will we do then?

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

If I was an owner I’d much prefer to tell my friends I had a horse running in the Predominate, which most racing people will already know as a recognised Derby Trial from way back.  Now I’d have to tell them my horse is running in the Cocked Hat???!!!!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5946

Well at least Height of Fashion was a decent racehorse and even better broodmare, though I doubt that was the reason Goodwood chose the name.

(Edited by Drone at 3:18 pm on May 23, 2007)

Participant
    • Total Posts 5646

:old:

Didn’t the Shweppes change to shh you know who.<br> Quite honestly I think the fraternity of bookies<br> like Dennis&Co are behind this.<br> They write the old names down<br> and learn them by rote in candelight.<br> Almost masonic :biggrin:

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.