The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Money Trix…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Gazs Way De Solzen
    • Total Posts 2440

Did anyone see this horse run yesterday? ? ?

Won the 2.05 at Newcastle and won it in good style too. Ran really well and put in a very good round of jumping on the way to winning the race.

Shame that Negus de Beaumont went at the first because it would have been an interesting duel between the 2 market leaders for that race. But take nothing away from the horse, it was a very taking performance.

Think it will head for Cheltenham now, i know Nicky Richards thinks a lot of the horse and think it has a bright future.

Was also a very good performance if you think the last time it ran, it was a good second behind Black Jack Ketchum at Aintree in 2006, and hadnt been seen on the racecourse since. A very good horse it seems and also a very good training performance from Nicky Richards to get the horse readied after such a long time off the racetrack.

no idea
    • Total Posts 685

Yes it was good performance and Nicky Richards was very bullish after on ATR stating it would improve a lot for the run.

It could be a Festival winner

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

I’d love to see him enter it in one of the handicaps like the Racing Post Plate or the Kim Muir- he can’t be too harshly treated for beating trees yesterday. Good jumper.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3216

CH,

I’m pretty sure he’d have to run twice more over fences by Feb 24th to be qualified for those races – horses can run in low grade and novice handicaps based on fewer runs over fences or on their form over hurdles. But for class 2 races and upwards, I believe you have to have the three runs.

AP

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7922

trainer says in my jumping prospects book that ‘he is a big lump of a horse who is best suited by soft to heavy ground; we shall not hesitate to do the best for his long term welfare if the ground becomes too fast for him during the spring’

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Pity AP, he doesn’t seem like the typical Sun Alliance horse to me.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Money trix had been quite solid in the royal and sun alliance market for sometime prior to his run yesterday and I backed him at 20s, it was a good performance but the horse for most of the early stages had his head leaning to the side, which I would read as he is still only part way back to full fitness and more improvement will come.

Nevertheless he jumps almost every fence like a star, never had to be ridden and finished the race like hadnt even had one, very classy. Id be pretty certain that if negus de beaumont had run he too would have been smashed, gidam gidam entered the race in form rated 130ish, which was more than negus du beaumont and he was being ridden while money trix was just cruising before cruising away with it.

I was a bit anxious before yesterdays race but am very optimistic that he would be up to winning at cheltenham after that run, hopefully he’ll go for a decent saturday race next time so there will be more solid form to go on, but he already looks to be up to winning one.

Blue Brazil
    • Total Posts 90

I was really impressed with the way Money Trix jumped and travelled after the long lay off. Looks like the owner and trainer made the correct decision to take their time and not rush him back too soon. There’s nothing better than the sight of a grey jumping boldly, great leap at the last!

It seems like the Richards are always associated with really good greys. One Man was one of my favourites when he raced and they have also got Monet’s Garden just now and a few years back they had The Grey Monk. Any more out there past or present from Greystoke?

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

My point about him not being a typical Sun Alliance horse relates to most past winners being late developing types who didn’t do much over hurdles. Denman broke the mould in this regard last year, maybe the trend will change.He’d look to need a bit of give, especially having been injured and of course he’s never experienced the undulations of Cheltenham. My gut feeling is that he might be seen to better effect at Aintree, ground permitting. I’ve had a small interest in Notre Pere who looks more your traditional Sun Alliance type.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

I saw the race, he ran well but i would put my cash on him running at Aintree or one of the later spring meetings. He looked a big gross horse and one who looked like he was still carrying conditon.

We shall see but i dout he will make cheltnum, why bother running a horse on ground thats too quick, Newcastle can be a mudbath at the best of times as allot of the land round their is drained marsh.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

I agree with pretty much everything thats been said here. Connections have said that they will probably go for another graduation chase or a novice hurdle next, which I dont think will bring out the best from him, I think for him to progress he needs to step up in grade, but its possible that they didnt want to make big plans till they saw how he came out of that race, as he has just come back from an injury.

I agree that he probably doesnt fit the mould of a horse who would regularly win this race, but all I look for is a horse suited to the race and try to find one that is likely to be there or thereabouts on the ratings on the day.

Money Trix has always been progressive throughout his career and whilst hurdling always looked like a chaser, he’s by old vic sire of many good 3m chasers, and looks to be a very good one on yesterdays effort, he looked to me like a top flight chaser (class1) doing a piece of work yesterday.

Notre Pere was good on his last race I remember watching it but I would think money trix will progress well beyond him by his next race, if put up against better company, hopefully he’ll have at least a few in his next race rated in the 140s.

I also agree that they could send him to aintree and the only reason I have backed him for cheltenham is the fact that I reckon he’ll be up to a race winning rating by the time of cheltenham (if staying fit and well) and connections have already backed him steadily for the royal and sun alliance, which would make you think that will be his target.

The R+SA looks very open at present and anything could win it this year really. I backed that one about 2 weeks ago and have it in a few lucky 63s and he ran better than I thought he would yesterday so am quite excited about him, just in case I come across as over-enthusiastic. I just always believe in my bets till their beat, especially when they look on target, thats all you can do really.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Apologies, meant novice chase not novice hurdle in last post, my bad.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I think he’s a lovely horse and would just put my trust in Nicky no matter where he decides to run him.

As far as him carrying a bit of condition he would want to be doing at this stage and that is a plus rather than a worry. He is a big horse but he has never ran a bad race and will benefit a lot from that run.

He jumped better than most seasoned chasers never mind novices, but was under very little pressure which again is a plus rather than a worry. Looked like a great confidence booster to me.

Hopefully his next run will see him put in a repeat performance, jumping wise, against better opposition and if he does I don’t think Nicky will hesitate to send him to Cheltenham and will definitely be on my short list.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.