Modern breeding and stallions

Home Forums Horse Racing Modern breeding and stallions

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by tbracing tbracing 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    dadofjess
    dadofjess
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8

am getting more and more interested in breeding and the influence of the sire and dam on racehorses.Get a bit unclear when commentators /analysts talk about such and such a sire being sorted by soft ground etc..any advice on any books,websites.videos that are useful in giving out such information..thanks

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

The Racing Post and ATR websites provide generic information on stallions and their progeny history by ground description, recording wins, places, level stakes P&L, strike rate etc. You can also get something similar via the FlatStats website.

ProForm is pricy but it is a much more powerful tool for scrutinising this stuff. I got it to give me a really detailed breakdown of every stallion with ‘impact value’ data for each stallion, showing you whether their progeny are running above or below expectation v Betfair SP on each going description. It also expresses this in terms of % of rivals beaten and gives you a clear idea of whether the market underrates or overrates the stallion in different conditions.

Like I say, ProForm is an expensive tool but I *think* you can get a free trial or pay for a short subscription. It really blows all the Racing Post/ATR data out of the water and gives you a much deeper insight.

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 995

I have a very superficial knowledge of breeding, but avoid Shantou’s over fences + Warfront’s after the 2 yr old season. Am I right?

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8626

This us an extremely informative site and free …a good back up to Racing Post, ATR and Sporting Life etc…

https://thebreedingshed.wordpress.com

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8

Try this http://adrianmassey.no-ip.org/web1/pages/racsir.php

It’s free but is restricted to sires that have had 10 winners or more.

I’ve had a look at the same approach as you but didn’t persevere with it. I think that the problem is that with some sires you will have only a small sample size and you also have to take into account of the dam and dam sire.

Hope this helps.

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

That’s a cracker of a site, thanks for that Colin.

Not sure if that was jest or not befair but War Front has had several go on, including US Navy Flag & Merchant Navy.

Shantou one is a bit more of an opinion i’ve heard from a few places but Death Duty, Beware The Bear, Tully East & The Storyteller haven’t done too badly over fences with the last three all winning at the Fez over them.

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1894

The problem with Shantous isn’t really with fences, technique or anything like that. I spoke to a buyer whose opinion was that you need to add on a few grand to whatever you’re paying for a Shantou since you know they’ll probably need two or three wind procedures in their careers and they’ll just get worse and worse – typically a major issue with his stock.

Maybe since most staying jumpers start chasing in their third season in training, it gives the impression of the fences being the problem.

KevMc
    KevMc
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1071

To be fair Pumpkin gives 99% of his horses regular wind-ops so i wouldn’t think it’s only consigned to Shantou progeny ;-)

tbracing
    tbracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1341

Horseracebase.com is a very good tool for database queries. Some sires progeny perform better on different surfaces. For instance, Pivotal’s often handle softer ground and can excel in such conditions. Dubawi is a great all round sire, but look at his statistics for first time runners at Southwell on the fibresand, he has a 28.13% strike rate there for first time runners there since 2009, even this year he has only had 5 first time runners there but still 3 winners with 4 placed. USA origin horses generally out perform other region bred horses at Southwell at something like 16.5% a good few points stronger than other pedigrees.

A good site to query pedigree’s is pedigreequery.com – what’s noticeable in a lot of modern bred horses is there is a lot of inbreeding in modern day bred horses, for instance look at this, https://www.pedigreequery.com/amber+island2 You’ll notice he has Northern Dancer in his pedigree twice within the same 4th generation on the stallions side and again 5th generation on the dams side while Natalma appears 3 times on his stallions 5th generation.

Have a read through this if pedigree’s interesting you https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dosage_Index. Will help you make sense of pedigree query.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.