The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Mine

Home Forums Memorials Mine

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Found dead in his field at the National Stud aged 16. He was used as a teaser. Such a good horse.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 2064

I’m sad to hear that he was used as a teaser. I know there were initially plans to breed from him to be a low budget stallion option, but I guess that never plan never got off the ground.

RIP Mine

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

Apparently James Bethel has a mare called Miss Apricot who’s in foal to him. He didn’t get much patronage and I find it terribly sad that he was used as a teaser. I don’t think he deserved that, he was so game and tough they could have given him more of a chance – they don’t know how good his foal/foals will be yet. It can’t have been very nice for him. It’s thought he had a heart attack.

Participant
    • Total Posts 784

What a shame, sorry to hear he’s gone. I too had no idea that he was a teaser, I went to the stud in the summer & we weren’t shown him.

His pedigree is not fashionable, but it has plenty of speed. It’s a pity breeders are so dumb as this horse hadn’t a shred of Northern Dancer & would have made a good out cross.

Lets hope James Bethell has good luck with the foal.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16968

A real shock to see Mine here today, he was one of my old favourites and I backed him to win the Bunbury Cup at Newmarket, he always gave 100 per cent. Never knew that he was at Newmarket Stud as a Teaser, I have been there several times and never seen him or even told that he was there what a shame.
    So sad that he has passed away like this RIP old friend let’s hope his foal inherits his talents :cry:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

I remember Mine. How sad. Explain what a teaser is, although I can probably mostly guess…… :(

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

A teaser is a stallion literally used to ‘tease’ the mare and get her ready to accept the stallion she’s going to be bred with. Usually with some kind of partition between them. So Mine will have been used to get the mare ready (and himself!) but not actually be allowed to breed with her himself.

Really not nice that such a good, honest, genuine horse was used in this way. From what people are saying it doesn’t sound like he was much considered at the stud and I so hope some-one can tell me otherwise. I would love to know that some-one in his daily life cared about him.

mamamia
    • Total Posts 50

Lovely tribute to him on the National Stud face book page. Very much loved by everyone and going to be greatly missed. There is a lovely picture of him too. RIP Mine :(

• Total Posts 1

Genuine horse who always gave his all, RIP

Bonanzaboy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 473

I don’t do Facebook or Twitter so would never have known that, so thanks for that. It makes me feel a bit better if he was loved.

Update – even with my technical ignorance I managed to have a look at the Facebook tribute – many thanks.

• Total Posts 433

RIP old lad xx :(

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.