The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Matt Chapman – forget Clare Balding – is HE the real jewel

Home Forums Horse Racing Matt Chapman – forget Clare Balding – is HE the real jewel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 86 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 9230

He is entertaining, amusing, knowledgable. He can host a talk show (back today on the Sunday Forum and how much better it is for his return), commentate (after a fashion), interview (he seems to be the go-to guy for reticent trainers). He has his finger on the pulse, isn’t afraid to voice unpopular or contrary opinions.

Channel 4 should be snapping him up. He is McCririck’s natural successor.

Clare and Matt – the dream team?

• Total Posts 1800

Good call, it would keep the programme balanced and on track.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

Spouts more crap than the local sewage works and a big aftertimer too. I would suggest Sean Boyce would be a far better choice to fill McCricks shoes.

Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

The widespread stick Chapman and Big Mac get is beyond me. Do people want cardboard cut outs? The world needs characters. To quote Liam Gallagher – "If the world was full of Gary Neville’s it would be bobbins".

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

He’s a twit who’s mouth is as big as his ego, if he joined Channel 4 I’d never watch it again.

Participant
    • Total Posts 647

Agree Corm, I don’t understand the negativity towards him.

• Total Posts 1415

I agree Cormack, Chapman is a class act and he brings life and entertainment to the sport whereas someone like Sean Boyce has the knowledge and professionalism but he is dull.

We need to attract people to racing, we need people like Chapman to do that.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

my moneys on chapman being the new morning line presenter :wink:

• Total Posts 469

I agree Corm. He’s got a lot to say, sometimes ill-judged but
    rarely ill-meaning. Mac’s just getting old and unpleasant now.

New face on Channel 4 should be taken as an opportunity to refresh the whole programme.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

My late Mother-In-Law and I used to argue about whether Sean Boyce or Matt Chapman was the better "Man in the booth"

She maintained that Chappers was better craic, albeit a bit prone to one too many "Yeehars" and "Getting Jiggy with it" on far too regular a basis. I preferred Boycie’s no nonsense approach as being a bit easier on the ears.

"Boycie?, Boycie is worse than Ronseal" she said one day. To which I replied "What do you mean?"

"Well at least Ronseal will eventually come off the "F…ing fence!!" was the reply.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

BlackGold
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1487

Ugh, what a horrible thought. Matt Chapman doing anything is a recipe for disaster. Bright, colourful? Opinionated and egotistical is more like it. I’m the know it all and don’t I know it.

If he’s what racing needs to make it interesting for the general public then heaven help racing. Give me Sean Boyce any day.

MoleHorse
    • Total Posts 127

Matt Chapman knows his stuff, loves the sport and has a great personality but to have himself in the same bracket as Clare Balding after her Olympics coverage is bewildering, she’s gone into he hearts of many a British person.

Oasisdreamer
    Participant
    • Total Posts 305

It’s not April the First is it??!!!

I’m sorry but Matt’s OTT style is a switch off for me.

Saying that I spoke with him at Ascot a couple of years ago. He came across well and was happy to discuss the day’s action. If he could just tone down the on screen persona a little I’d listen in that bit more.

Peters
    Participant
    • Total Posts 68

Prefer Matt to Lord Snooty who is starting to get up my nose especially with his

Guest Test

!! What a waste of time that is.

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2003

He is entertaining, amusing, knowledgable. He can host a talk show (back today on the Sunday Forum and how much better it is for his return), commentate (after a fashion), interview (he seems to be the go-to guy for reticent trainers).

Sounds more like Tommo’s natural successor.

Participant
    • Total Posts 589

He is entertaining, amusing, knowledgable. He can host a talk show (back today on the Sunday Forum and how much better it is for his return), commentate (after a fashion), interview (he seems to be the go-to guy for reticent trainers).

Sounds more like Tommo’s natural successor.

I agree with you Glenn. How about Boycie reporting on the betting and Chappers being groomed to eventually take over from Thommo in the "all-rounder" role.

PS:- Great to hear Thommo back in the commentary box over the weekend after his recent Cancer scare.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

As long as he is never allowed near a commentary box again I do believe there is a place for Chappers.

Yes he can be very annoyingly OTT but when he does play it straighter he can be very good.

He presents Towcester TV and the first year he was excruciatingly annoying and we did have a "discussion" about it – this year he toned it down a bit and I believed it worked much better.

When he doesn’t go into stupid mode he really can get trainers to open up and some of the interviews he did were very enlightening.

I really do wonder if he is trying to become the modern day Big Mac – being controversial for the sake of being controversial. I hope not because he is doing himself a great disservice if he is.

I may not agree with everything he says but he does, at least, have an opinion and he is happy to fight his corner.

I like Matt and I can see why he wants to be different, so he stands out. I just wish he would get a strong manager / agent to give him a nudge when he gets a bit over exuberant.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 86 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.