The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Maccarinelli v Haye

Home Forums General Sports Maccarinelli v Haye

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Considering that this is being billed as the biggest all-British fight for many years, I’m surprised that nobody has yet started a thread on it.

Both camps are predicting a short fight with an explosive finish. I’m not so sure. I think that each will respect the other one’s power and I’m tempted to buy the fight distance on the spread.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Should be a decent fight.

Plenty of tricks being played pre-fight with one not turning up for the Press Conference and one not turning up for the scheduled weight-in as yet :D

They seem to have built up a lot of hate for each other recently and I have a feeling that this could be ended via knockout quite early – though I couldn’t predict the winner and won’t be having a bet.

Mike

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

same age, stance, measurements, similar records and style, though david haye is clearly rated higher in the rankings and much higher as a better pound for pound boxer and because, i think, he has fought better opponents and has better boxing ability. haye is also naturally bigger (weight-wise) and i suspect he’ll outweigh enzo on the day and has ko’d a natural heavyweight at heavyweight level before

current betfair odds
    to win the fight – haye 1.68 , maccarinelli 2.54
    to go the distance – yes 5.00 , no 1.21
    win by stoppage – haye 1.91 , maccarinelli 3.00
    win by points – haye 10.0 , maccarinelli 10.0

facts
    maccarinelli has won his last 25 fights and his only loss was long ago enough to be now ignored. however, in his last 11 fights he has been taken the distance 3 times, by those well (not) known fighters ismail abdoul, mark hobson & wayne braithwaite ranked 122, 24 & 36 respectively. though he won almost every round against braithwaite and abdoul, he only just got the verdict against mark hobson, who is a journeyman english boxer, although this was 2 years ago. his last 4 opponents have been ranked 54, 36, 182 & 24 and had lost 13 fights between them. enzo has averaged 4.8 rounds per fight in his last 10 fights

haye has won his last 10 fights before which he had his only loss, a shock defeat to 40yo carl thompson in 2004, though thompson was a world class, former world champ who was the first person to beat nicky piper and also put chris eubank into retirement by beating him twice on decision and stoppage, though eubank was past his best and fighting out of his natural weight. his last 4 opponents have been ranked 122, 59, 97 & 5 and had lost 22 fights between them – though ismail adboul lost 15 of these. haye has averaged 4.6 rounds per fight in his last 10 fights

both boxers have built great records knocking out inferior opponents and both have picked themselves off the floor to win and both have been taken the distance before, though haye only once by abdoul and the fact both haye and maccarinelli were both taken the distance by abdoul and both won every round suggests abdoul is just a desperate nutter with little talent but a great chin and cannot be knocked out at cruiserweight

two of haye’s last 5 opponents were unbeaten and one was a heavyweight with a 37-1 record (though the 37 included many bums). one of maccarinelli’s last 5 opponents was unbeaten albeit with 2 draws who went on to lose his next fight as well

so, both are big punchers but i think haye’s ko of the polish heavyweight last april is telling – though tomasz bonin has fought a lot of bums, he has fought over 180 rounds of boxing at heavyweight level and has only been on the canvas a couple of times in winning 37 of 38 fights – then again, as it was only 145 seconds it could be argued he was caught cold

so, who’s gonna win ?
    better boxer – haye
    bigger puncher – haye
    better class of fights – haye
    experience – equal
    chin – equal, but not infallible – i think they both could knock each other out, unlike they could abdoul

i think haye’s tactics should be to rely on his better class, better boxing ability and bigger punching power, stay tight-aggressive and he should stop maccarinelli whose chance to win is in turning the fight messy hoping haye gets careless enough to get caught. being the better boxer, if it goes to points, providing the ref does his job properly, haye should get the verdict

my verdict
    haye to win by ko

bets
    forget the draw, it’s too rare to worry about, particularly with boxers with these types of profiles and there’s no point backing the fight to go the distance at 5.00 when you can get 10.0 on both of them to win on points

back haye at 1.91 to win by ko and have a small saver on both of them at 10.0 to win on points – you will only get ko’d yourself here if macca wins by stoppage or by fluke it’s a draw

and i do believe it’ll be free on setanta :)

*rankings and stats from boxrec

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

same age, stance, measurements, similar records and style, though david haye is clearly rated higher in the rankings and much higher as a better pound for pound boxer and because, i think, he has fought better opponents and has better boxing ability. haye is also naturally bigger (weight-wise) and i suspect he’ll outweigh enzo on the day and has ko’d a natural heavyweight at heavyweight level before

current betfair odds
    to win the fight – haye 1.68 , maccarinelli 2.54
    to go the distance – yes 5.00 , no 1.21
    win by stoppage – haye 1.91 , maccarinelli 3.00
    win by points – haye 10.0 , maccarinelli 10.0

facts
    maccarinelli has won his last 25 fights and his only loss was long ago enough to be now ignored. however, in his last 11 fights he has been taken the distance 3 times, by those well (not) known fighters ismail abdoul, mark hobson & wayne braithwaite ranked 122, 24 & 36 respectively. though he won almost every round against braithwaite and abdoul, he only just got the verdict against mark hobson, who is a journeyman english boxer, although this was 2 years ago. his last 4 opponents have been ranked 54, 36, 182 & 24 and had lost 13 fights between them. enzo has averaged 4.8 rounds per fight in his last 10 fights

haye has won his last 10 fights before which he had his only loss, a shock defeat to 40yo carl thompson in 2004, though thompson was a world class, former world champ who was the first person to beat nicky piper and also put chris eubank into retirement by beating him twice on decision and stoppage, though eubank was past his best and fighting out of his natural weight. his last 4 opponents have been ranked 122, 59, 97 & 5 and had lost 22 fights between them – though ismail adboul lost 15 of these. haye has averaged 4.6 rounds per fight in his last 10 fights

both boxers have built great records knocking out inferior opponents and both have picked themselves off the floor to win and both have been taken the distance before, though haye only once by abdoul and the fact both haye and maccarinelli were both taken the distance by abdoul and both won every round suggests abdoul is just a desperate nutter with little talent but a great chin and cannot be knocked out at cruiserweight

two of haye’s last 5 opponents were unbeaten and one was a heavyweight with a 37-1 record (though the 37 included many bums). one of maccarinelli’s last 5 opponents was unbeaten albeit with 2 draws who went on to lose his next fight as well

so, both are big punchers but i think haye’s ko of the polish heavyweight last april is telling – though tomasz bonin has fought a lot of bums, he has fought over 180 rounds of boxing at heavyweight level and has only been on the canvas a couple of times in winning 37 of 38 fights – then again, as it was only 145 seconds it could be argued he was caught cold

so, who’s gonna win ?
    better boxer – haye
    bigger puncher – haye
    better class of fights – haye
    experience – equal
    chin – equal, but not infallible – i think they both could knock each other out, unlike they could abdoul

i think haye’s tactics should be to rely on his better class, better boxing ability and bigger punching power, stay tight-aggressive and he should stop maccarinelli whose chance to win is in turning the fight messy hoping haye gets careless enough to get caught. being the better boxer, if it goes to points, providing the ref does his job properly, haye should get the verdict

my verdict
    haye to win by ko

bets
    forget the draw, it’s too rare to worry about, particularly with boxers with these types of profiles and there’s no point backing the fight to go the distance at 5.00 when you can get 10.0 on both of them to win on points

back haye at 1.91 to win by ko and have a small saver on both of them at 10.0 to win on points – you will only get ko’d yourself here if macca wins by stoppage or by fluke it’s a draw

and i do believe it’ll be free on setanta :)

*rankings and stats from boxrec

Great post Simon.

Just a little about Brathwaite.
    He was WBC Cruiser Champ and fought Mormeck in a "pick-em" WBC/WBA unification fight in 2005. Ring Magazine had them 1-2 in the division at that point.
    That fight and the loss of his title and unbeaten record seems to have had a big effect on him and he seemed to be toast when Macca got to him.

Mormeck was a much tougher opponent for Haye and all credit to him for dealing with him so well.

I’m still pinning my hopes on Macca suceeding in his plan to outfox Haye and either catch him on the counter or wear him down for a points win.

At the likely odds I think he’s worth the (small) risk.

Hope you’re right about it being FTA on Setanta BTW. Thanks for the tip :D

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

fair enough Peter, I wasn’t trying to skew the facts, I just referred to braithwaite as ‘not’ well known in terms of recent reputation or standing

when macarinelli fought braithwaite it was braithwaite’s second fight in two years and 4 years from his best performances. the only fight he’d had in the 2 years before facing macca was a freshener against a real nobody in an attempt to get him a shot against someone like macca. braithwaite has lost 3 of his last 4 now, is gone imo, and can only hope for another nice-ish payday or two before hanging them up, imo

as usual with the less popular sports for betting, the early odds are tight and become more attractive nearer the off. either of them to win on points is now 10 or 11 and perversely the go the distance price has shortened to 4.40. haye to win inside the distance is evens now and i think, a great price. if you could be bothered there are arbing opportunities between bookies and on betfair – i saw one on boyles but can’t be bothered to look for more

far as i can see it is FTA on setanta, i’ve seen no adds for PPV and there’s nowt on their website about it. the programme starts at 22.30 with the main support kicking off at 12.45 and the main event due to start at 2. you can probably set an alarm clock on that as it’s late for overseas audiences so won’t start before 2. if you want to watch their recent fights they’re being shown throughout the evening

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

Really looking forward to this one and will definitley be staying up for it.

Can’t see anything other than David Haye winning by knockout and think even money for that is a terrific bet.

Enzo has no doubt improved of late, but I feel like with a lot of Frank Warren fighters, he has had very suitable and pretty easy opponents hand picked to get him to where he is. He’s fought no-one with anything like the speed and power of Haye and IMO will not be able to live with that.

Haye has to be hugely applauded for even taking this fight on. With the trouble he has at making the cruiserweight limit, who could have blamed him for not taking this fight and moving up to heavyweight after de-throning the number one cruiserweight Mormeck in his own backyard. He could quite easily have been content with beating the best in the division and not going through the trouble of boiling down and making himself weight-drained, but he’s putting plenty on the line to give the fans what they want.

I predict a cagy opening two or three rounds with both men feeling their way into the fight behind their jabs, before Haye stamps his authority and power and finishes it in round 4, 5 or 6.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

i just missed the evens earlier but got 1.97 about 4.30ish, it had shortened to 1.76 at the off

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

quicker than i thought but very decisive

Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1135

Yep, just as I thought Haye way too good.

Said afterwards he ended it sooner than he thought due to a cut. He said he was gonna slowly break him down and take him apart which is how I saw the fight going, but getting cut changed his gameplan and made him go for the ko sooner.

Can’t wait to see him rock the heavyweight division.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Failed miserably in attampts to stay up for it.
    England’s capitulation in the cricket didn’t help. If they had made a better fist of it I’d have got a "second wind" and seen the fight.
    It certainly seems that Haye is for real (no Audley Harrison, this one) and as the heavy division is so poor at the moment with great lumbering yaks and Samuel Peter claiming to be the best around (Lord Helpus) it’s all there for the taking.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.