The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

M Hill – The Trainer

Home Forums Horse Racing M Hill – The Trainer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Hi all,

Can anyone throw any light on this trainer for me please. I know he has Apex, (which is the only horse that has ever won for him) and a few lesser lights, but I know nothing about him at all. A few internet searches have proved fruitless.

What is his full name/age ?
    Where does he train from?
    What is his background etc?

Many thanks in advance if anyone can help out.

Mike

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

He trains at Broadhempston in Devon.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

It is his first season training.

He has four horses that have run

Four winners from 12 runners and APEX is responsible for all of those wins.

Tha’s all I can find after a quick look.

Colin

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

I’m sure he has been training for a few years, but it may only be this year that he has started concentrating on the flat.

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

I may be completely wrong but is he the son of C J Hill aka the butcher of Barnstaple? Bought a mare off him a few years ago and she was in a desperate state.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Apologies, Grey Desire is correct.

Hill has had four runners, spread over a number of years, before this season…………..all losers.

He has also trained two winners from eight runners over jumps in the last 5 years.

Colin

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

Think you’re referring to:

Martin Hill, Totnes, Devon

Don’t know his Flat history but hasn’t had any NH runners since Oct 2005. Prior to this had a small but regular number of runners notably five-times winner Sandoran and the ex-Pipe rogue Kaki Crazy out of whom he managed to extract two wins from two runs.

Also the original trainer of that fine chaser Ei Ei before his move to Michael Chapman.

Given his lack of runners under Rules I’d guess he’s involved on the west country point-to-point circuit. TRF members Graysonscolumn and Happy Jack may be able to clarify.

Librettist
    • Total Posts 559

I may be completely wrong but is he the son of C J Hill aka the butcher of Barnstaple? Bought a mare off him a few years ago and she was in a desperate state.

Oh I remember him. Annoyingly referred to as C John Hill, and he wasn’t even American. C John Hill III would’ve been better. Seem to remember he landed some major gambles at Southwell in the early 90’s with horses like Klairover, Nikki Noo Noo and Golden Klair. Not sure about the "Butcher of Barnstaple" tag, maybe you can enlighten me some more?!

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5123

His nickname was ‘butcher’ if memory serves and didn’t another of Devon’s ‘finest’ Tony Newcombe spend his formative years with him?

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

C John Hill was known as the butcher of Barnstaple because he came from Barnstaple and he was a butcher by profession (shock horror). Martin Hill has had rather more than 4 runners (poor research, seagull!) and it was he who started the much missed Ei Ei on the road to success over jumps when he was partnered by Mark Bradburne in a selling hurdle at Stratford. Martin has been around as a permit holder for yonks but quit the training ranks for a few years before his latest incarnation.

Edit: Just looked up the archives and noticed an interview with Martin after Ei Ei had landed the aforementioned race and he was quoted as saying "I’m a publican and a building merchant. Racing is just a hobby-and an expensive one at that!"

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Funny you should mention CJ Hill. Apparently, he couldn’t train ivy up a s**t covered trellis – he didn’t know one end of a horse from another.

All he did was provide the cash. All of his horses were actually trained by the shewd Tony Newcombe.

I say it’s funny because I was nattering about Sakhee’s Secret the other day to a pal. We were recalling the days when Hughie Morrison and Michael Bell were assistant trainers at P Coles’, in the glory days of Insan, Culture Vulture, Magic Ring, Dilum, Fair Cop and, of course, Generous. Wages could be made with the outfit first time out. I believe the Whatcombe team won all the 2-y-o races one year at Ascot around that time.

Paul Cole often blames his relative decline on the death of Fahd Salman, (his principal owner), but I wonder how much was also due to losing the skills of those two.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Rory, it was Seabird not seagull, Ken wouldn’t have been that slipshod with his research, and after all I was using the Racing Post database. :oops:

Colin

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3105

Max,

I’m sure ‘Butcher’ Hill did know one end of a horse from the other – the problem was that he tended to view the front half as stewing steak and the back half as sirloin !

His best horse during that period when Tony Newcombe was his ‘trainer’ was a stayer called Morgans Choice, who won five races at Bath and had a successful record when ridden by Willie Carson.

AP

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Morgan’s Choice was the first horse I ever "tipped" from the pages of the Sun when winning at Chester in the very early days of Ch 4 racing, AP. 1984, I think.

That was the time I first saw Big Mac et al and before you know it, I was on The Road to Glory (or Ruin) :D

Add the word Allegedly to my post, AP. :wink:

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Apologies to both Seabird and Seagull it appears ~ I know Ken is very proud of his trainer stats so was surprised that he’d slip up so, but it’s just what I’d expect from Colin :wink: (only kidding mate!)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.