The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Will also be looking out for the Grade 2 placed King Du Berlais should be run in the Mens Open at Horseheath.

Look by all means, Martin, but just be mindful that Joe Turner’s string hasn’t been especially forward at this nascent stage of the season for several years now.

King Du Berlais will win races in the East Anglia and South East Areas this term, that much I don’t doubt, but I’d be surprised if many of them are this side of March.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Do they produce a racecard for Point-To-Points and is it possible to view declarations pre-race at all Jeremy?

There’ll be racecards at Horseheath on the day, definitely, but there’s only so much boning up you can do beforehand.

As Gem mentions, Jumping For Fun gets the entries up on Friday, whereas subscribers to http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk can see them often as early as Monday and never later than Tuesday (slight variance can depend on how swiftly the respective meeting’s entries secretaries can forward them to Weatherbys Chase).

The Weekender publishes the entries every Wednesday, and that’s the earliest you can get confirmation of connections (apart from those mentioned as part of the meeting previews that appear for free on the Weatherbys site, e.g. http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk/go/news/c … _2010.html).

HTH,

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks Jeremy – was just looking for horses who’s form I could follow, ie. his run in the Prix Jean Stern and behind Or Noir De Somoza in the Ferdinand Dufaure but figured it would be rather naive to assume he retained all the ability he had shown in the past.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Wherever you all end up this weekend, here are some of the more familiar names entered up around the country;

HORSEHEATH (Cambridgeshire), Saturday
    =====================================
    Big Rob
    Present Glory
    A Few Bob Back
    Petit Lord
    Rydal Park

ALNWICK (Northumberland), Sunday
    ================================
    Dix Villez
    Kandjar D’Allier
    Laertes
    Sonevafushi

BLACK FOREST LODGE (Devon), Sunday
    ==================================
    Cowboyboots
    Southwestern
    Chesnut Annie
    Perouse
    Zabenz

DETLING (Kent), Sunday
    ======================
    Control Man
    Pass Me By
    Presenting Express
    A Few Bob Back
    Ungaro
    Theatre Knight

DUNTHROP (Oxon), Sunday
    =======================
    Crystal D’Ainay
    Ivoire De Beaulieu
    Petit Lord
    Irilut

NORTH CARLTON (Lincolnshire), Sunday
    ====================================
    Roby De Cimbre
    Petit Lord
    Turbo
    Nadover
    Rydal Park
    The King Of Angels

WHITCLIFFE GRANGE (North Yorks), Sunday
    =======================================
    Laertes
    Eliza Doalott

Further details as always on the Weatherbys Chase website.

I’ll be fascinated to hear back how Crystal D’Ainay gets on. Class alone would see him flatten everything in the Ladies Open he’s entered in, and I’ve no particular fears about the 3m5f trip, either. It’s just a case of whether he still fancies it anymore, I suppose. Owners Tony and Jenni Fisher must think so, as he’s still owned by them, albeit moved from Alan King to Hannah Lewis for the purposes of pointing.

If I don’t get to the inaugural Whitcliffe Grange meeting on Sunday, then seeing former Feltham Chase winner Ungaro make his debut for Heather Kemp at Detling instead won’t be too bad an alternative.

gc

You missed out Va Va Voom in the Open at Horseheath. Was once useful under rules.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

That one reappearing after two years on the sidelines, I notice, Bob. Let’s see what remains at the age of 12.

gc

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Horseheath just managed to beat the elements today (much to IS’s relief I would imagine).
    Not looking promising for the opening meet at Whitcliffe tomorrow and Detling,Alnwick and North Carlton are already off.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Horseheath just managed to beat the elements today (much to IS’s relief I would imagine).
    Not looking promising for the opening meet at Whitcliffe tomorrow and Detling,Alnwick and North Carlton are already off.

I was convinced it would be off when I got to Cambridge and went home again, mind you with the trains on bus replacements most of the way it is a good job I did. What a complete shambles. Took me three hours and I am not much more than 40 miles would not have fancied that in the dark after the last.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Racing was put back 30 minutes Bob – there was a match race and a few 5 or 6 runner races too.

Good to see Adrian at Horseheath too :)

Detling today is off.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I was at Horseheath (scaling the ladder..) and racing was put back 30 mins which gave me a chance to meet Irish Stamp for the first time!

IS – for future info it is worth logging on to http://www.pointingea (for East Anglia) and other area sites for the latest info. We put up a detailed form preview by mid-week and the results are up that evening in the message section (done by Ray Newby or me).

As IS states it was a slow start with only 4 and 2 in the first two races. However with the frost coming out of the ground things improved and we had 10 in the restricted and 6 in the older horse maiden.

Equine stars of the show were Denvale (easy winner of the Men’s Open) and Mid Div and Creep (who made all for win in the Ladies).

Human stars were Richard Burton winning the restricted by a neck on Fresh Fruit and, most notably, Bridget Andrews. Bridget is the 16 year old younger sister of Gina (daughters of Simon) and was having her first rides. She did well to motivate Good Vintage in the first (although she finished 3rd she was only beaten 3 lengths after he tried to down tools at the top of the hill) and then won the Novice Riders on Inishturk. Now we have two Andrews sisters to watch out for…

A lovely sunny day but it was very coooold

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks Adrian – was good meeting up yesterday :)

Really enjoyable day at Horseheath and to think my first day might have been history in the making (Bridget Andrews first win – hopefully she’ll be as good, if not better than her sister). Was very impressed with how she managed to galvanise Good Vintage who came from well off the pace to finish like a train.

Also had my first winning bet at a point-to-point (Mid Div And Creep to beat King Du Berlais) and I’m already planning my next trip – Godstone on the 14th Feb :)

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Thanks Adrian – was good meeting up yesterday :)

Really enjoyable day at Horseheath and to think my first day might have been history in the making (Bridget Andrews first win – hopefully she’ll be as good, if not better than her sister). Was very impressed with how she managed to galvanise Good Vintage who came from well off the pace to finish like a train.

Also had my first winning bet at a point-to-point (Mid Div And Creep to beat King Du Berlais) and I’m already planning my next trip – Godstone on the 14th Feb :)

Glad you enjoyed it Irish Stamp. Hope you will enjoy Godstone – best to view standing next to the second and third horse unsaddling poles on the outside of the track (parade ring is in the middle) as all fences will be visible with your back to the tentage. My next trips are next week at Cottenham, then 20th at Twesledown and 28th at Charing in February. Hope to meet up at one of them.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks Bob – for work reasons generally I’m only able to get to the Sunday fixtures but hoping to go to Tweseldown on 7th March, absolutely love point to pointing – just stacks and stacks of 3m chases. Sounds great to me :)

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Seeing as there’s plenty of entries and I’m off is Whitfield doable by public transport?

They’re talking about an 11am first race time over on Jumping For Fun and at the min I can get to Brackley but having a few problems trying to find a bus from Brackley that goes through Whitfield :lol:

• Total Posts 1063

Adrian wrote:..for future info it is worth logging on to http://www.pointingea (for East Anglia)

Maybe it’s just me being a bit squeamish Adrian but I find your Home Page photo somewhat disconcerting. Can you confirm that the faller did not break its neck please?
    Thanks
    K

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

Detling rearranged for Sunday.

http://pointingse.webeden.co.uk/

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks GD – tricky one as the Northamptonshire meet looks easier to get to than Detling :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Seeing as there’s plenty of entries and I’m off is Whitfield doable by public transport?

They’re talking about an 11am first race time over on Jumping For Fun and at the min I can get to Brackley but having a few problems trying to find a bus from Brackley that goes through Whitfield :lol:

If you fancy working up an appetite for a tasty death-burger on arrival, note that it’s only two miles from Brackley Station to Whitfield village – so that’d be what, a 15-minute walk? It’s basically just up the A43 (in the direction of Towcester / Silverstone) and turn right at the signs.

Stagecoach Oxford’s 88 route to Northampton truncates on Sundays and starts at Towcester rather than Brackley, so there are no scheduled buses up that stretch of A43 on the day, as far as I can tell.

Foot or taxi it is, then, unless one of the TRF massive fancies picking you up! I’m 50-50 to get there at present – depends a bit if the postponements of last weekend see me pressed into action anywhere else this.

gc

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.