The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

I have to disagree with pointing being a good place to start. Having been heavily pushed in that direction with a youngster it had its first start at Larkhill. With around 20 runners it survived 5 fallers at the 3rd only to be one of three fallers at the ninth. With that it continued riderless and disappeared for some length of time with another horse. Thankfully a very kind lady on the loudspeaker let us know it was on the road to Durrington and being followed by the Police. It did pitch up 2 hours later relatively unscathed. Think i’ll give that one a swerve!

You could not have picked a worse track to start a youngster than Larkhill. It is one of the most testing and wide open in the country. If they do get loose then there is the wide open spaces of the Wiltshire Downs for them to play in. Mind you two horses did gallop into the wood at the first Kingston Blount meeting last year. Oh the joys of pointing.

Sorry gents, but I’d have to argue to the contrary on all points above. Larkhill is a perfect venue to blood a youngster, and the propensity for loose ones to run off all over Salisbury Plain isn’t matched by the actuality of it happening, as the outriders around the course are mustard.

A big, wide, galloping expanse, its two long rows of fences afford the inexperienced horse greater opportunity to get into a rhythm jumping than, say, somewhere more on the turn such as North Carlton or Higham.

Indeed, Cottenham rightly garners lots of praise on this thread, but it boasts the fastest 2m4f (and probably 3m, too) in the country and the obstacles don’t half come at the competitors quickly. If I were the owner or trainer of an East Anglia Maiden pointer, I’d sooner take it to Marks Tey or Horseheath for its initial foray any day of the week.

Back to Larkhill, though, presumably at least some of the point of the exercise with your youngster, Obiwankenobi, was to see how good your animal actually was. Pitched in against the firepower from the likes of Richard Barber’s string, you’d have been unlikely to have got a better steer on what you’ve got than in an early-season Wessex Area Maiden.

Such races around Larkhill, Charlton Horethorne, Milborne St Andrew, etc. pre-Cheltenham invariably take a great deal of winning and metaphorically bat a long way down; and it’s probably no coincidence how many winners at the first-named’s Royal Artillery and United Services meetings in particular have gone on to carve out decent Rules careers in recent seasons.

It sounds as if that initial foray into Pointing was unfortunate, but nevertheless I wouldn’t be minded to steer away from repeating the exercise based on just that.

gc

That’s fair enough comment Jeremy, I bow to your superior knowledge. I agree though about Horseheath (never been to Marks Tey) good galloping track with decent bends and the testing uphill finish will find out any stamina or fitness limitations. Good fences and a great view from the middle of the path in the middle of the track which is where all the facilities are.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Some good horses on show at Chaddesley on Monday – personally I thought that Over The Phone (ex-Colin Bowe) had been sold to go under rules when he went through the ring for 18k in November.

I was shocked to see him entered in a Restricted at the abandoned Barbury Castle meet in December and he duly won his first start in the UK on Monday in the fastest time of the day (of those who carried 12 stone). The race looked pretty hot given the runner-up is a Waley-Cohen horse and OTP is one who i’d expect will make a mark in Opens and eventually under rules for the Hobbs team.

Good racing coming up at Larkhill this weekend with Bucks Bond and Dualla Lord from the Barber yard both entered in the Restricted along with the likely return to the pointing scene of Cappa Bleu in the Mens.

Will be paying my first visit to the Wiltshire course so hope it’s nice and sunny :lol:

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Do you think the Rucker’s might target Kicks For Free at the Foxhunters?

If you pushed me, I’d probably say no. Not the Cheltenham version, anyway – his rout at Cottenham three weeks ago suggested to me that he still possesses enough foot to be effective around the speedier tests Pointing and hunter chases can offer.

A nose defeat in the Coral Cup proved 2m5f around Prestbury Park was within compass, but 3m2.5f? Not sure. The Aintree equivalent may play more to his strengths, but even then not half as much as the Ladies Bowl over 2m7f at Stratford on Horse & Hound evening.

gc

I would guess that if they aimed Kicks For Free at a Hunter Chase it would be for the AGA Ladies Final at Cheltenham, but that seems unlikely. Their serious horses almost always get put underneath Burton, while this one appears to have been purchased solely to give Angela a few armchair rides in her dotage.

Will be paying my first visit to the Wiltshire course so hope it’s nice and sunny

No chance!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Figured it might be wishful thinking :lol:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Larkhill wasn’t too bad to be fair – and there was a great trade stand selling hot, spiced apple juice too.

Perouse went in at Wadebridge, Nenuphar Collonges finished third in the Mens Open having looked a very tricky ride for his jockey Phillip Prince whilst Fresh Air And Fun was well backed in the first division of the Members (10/1 into 7/2) for jockey Alistair(?) Ralph and trainer Andy Hobbs but ultimately they parted company at the first fence.

A couple of names you’ll be hearing about under rules in future contested two divisions of the Restricted that ended the card – Bucks Bond a gorgeous, big grey relative of Big Bucks who was unbeaten (debut win) going into the first division of the event was upsides Dust In Time when unseating Will Biddick 2 out – he’d have won comfortably IMO, in what was an eventful race Dust In Time fell at the last under James Banks leaving Godfrey Maundrell and Spiders Nephew to win easily whilst in the second division Irish Maiden winner Dualla Lord made a successful UK debut for the Biddick/Barber team without ever really being asked a serious question. I’d expect Bucks Bond will be winning his Restricted soon enough and both should do well under rules.

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I would guess that if they aimed Kicks For Free at a Hunter Chase it would be for the AGA Ladies Final at Cheltenham, but that seems unlikely. Their serious horses almost always get put underneath Burton, while this one appears to have been purchased solely to give Angela a few armchair rides in her dotage.

All fair points. To that end another entry for Kicks For Free in the Ladies at Ampton this Sunday doesn’t read like the actions of connections who are wanting to get the two Open wins in quickly (which they’ve now done anyway) to secure Foxhunter eligibility before giving him an easier time pre-Cheltenham.

Far rather, I think, that they’ve got designs on a few more trifles in East Anglia over the coming weeks, though I suppose either Amicelli or Mid Div And Creep might give him a bit of a race this time. Massimo, too, if THIS turns out to be the one engagement out of the six he’s got this weekend that he intends to honour.

Other recognisable names among the Ampton engagements on Sunday include Badgerlaw, Cedrus Libani, Foulstons Ruler, Kornati Kid, My Flora, Offshore Account and Portavadie. I imagine I’ll be pootling along to the Suffolk venue as well, but don’t let that put you off. 8)

Very much suspect Bbobbell will be taking in the Kent countryside at Detling 24 hours earlier, where Bannister Lane, Rash Move, Noakarad De Verzee, Gold Heart, Ring The Boss and – back from four years out – Control Man could all entertain him.

Black Forest Lodge race on the Sunday as well as Ampton, with Nenuphar Collonges, Offshore Account, Preacher Boy and Picaroon among those whose previous Rules exploits y’all will probably be most familiar with.

Further details as always on the Point-to-Point Racing Company’s website.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

dprp
    • Total Posts 175

gc, guru of all things pointing, what do u make of a mare called Sericina (Roddick trained)?

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

gc, guru of all things pointing, what do u make of a mare called Sericina (Roddick trained)?

I’m no GC on matters pointing but Nicholls was/is after her but the owners don’t want to sell – she’s 2/2 this season so far under Chloe Roddick.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

GC – will see you at Ampton. Hope the weather holds out and the rain of the last few days doesn’t spoil our day.

Matt Coleman commentating and I’ll just be there on a jolly.

dprp
    • Total Posts 175

I’m no GC on matters pointing but Nicholls was/is after her but the owners don’t want to sell – she’s 2/2 this season so far under Chloe Roddick.

She won 5 or 5 last term too before falling in Chelt foxhunters.

I have her unraced 3yo half sister.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

GC – will see you at Ampton. Hope the weather holds out and the rain of the last few days doesn’t spoil our day.

Matt Coleman commentating and I’ll just be there on a jolly.

Ampton mission aborted now, alas – got two articles to finish by tomorrow night. Have fun, and hope the field sizes hold up.

I’m definitely Pointing the following two Sundays, however – quite where depends on whether I’m race-reading (still TBC) and at what venues. If I end up at Higham on the 30th, I suspect that’ll be in a working capacity – Sheriff Hutton likely to win out for me otherwise.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Irish,

Don’t know if you were thinking of making a repeat visit to Whigfield (sic) this Sunday, but I’d not be thinking of taking an early train back if I were you – 195 entries received for a card already divided into eight races (c/o three legs of the Open Maiden), and with a live chance of the Restricted divided on the day, too. 11.30am start, finish no earlier than 3pm.

I think my trip to Witton Castle the same day might be a little less exhaustive runners-wise, but hopefully no less fun!

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

It’s a very early start for me this weekend Jeremy – pretty much the same as last year with the added exercise of a walk from Brackley centre to the course :)

Whitfield doesn’t have quite as many runners – just thank your stars that you aren’t race reading at Whitfield this weekend!!

Enjoy Witton but I have to say there are some white hot races at Whitfield this weekend if all turn up :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Heh-heh. They tend to roster far more gifted race-readers than the likes of me at Whigfield, Irish. That’s a proper pro’s gig!

Yep, you’ve definitely got the better fields there both quality- and quantity-wise, and that course is actually nearer to home for me than Witton Castle. However, I’ve never been to the latter, and that’s still the chief determiner of destination for me on a non-working Pointing day. Hence Sheriff Hutton over Higham yesterday!

I’m not sure Witton is as loved as some venues in the locality (not next to, say, the dramatic sweeps of Corbridge), and the fences have been particularly insubstantial in the last few years (amounting to little more than loose twigs and scaffolding in this footage from 2008, replete with commentary from Andy Orkney – remember him?);

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcrBABZ_L9g

Where there’s life there’s hope, though, and I’ll be happy as anyone to report back here if the place creates a really favourable impression.

Horseheath the day before looks a bit tasty, doesn’t it. Alrafid, Description, Hoo La Baloo, Kicks For Free, Mid Div And Creep, Silver Jaro, Kornati Kid, Offshore Account… oh, and something or other called Cappa Bleu!

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Quick resume of what’s entered where this weekend, should any of it provoke an impromptu visit;

HORSEHEATH (nr Haverhill, Cambs CB21 4QF), Saturday;
    ====================================================
    Cappa Bleu
    Coolefind
    Hoo La Baloo
    Kicks For Free
    Kornati Kid
    Mid Div And Creep
    Offshore Account
    Silver Jaro

BLACK FOREST LODGE (nr Starcross, Devon EX6 8NW), Sunday;
    =========================================================
    Burntoakboy
    Chesnut Annie
    Come What Augustus
    Glacial Call
    Gone To Lunch
    Lady Myfanwy
    Nenuphar Collonges
    Offshore Account
    Picaroon
    Southwestern

WHITFIELD (nr Brackley, Northants NN13 5TQ), Sunday;
    ====================================================
    Burntoakboy
    Coolefind
    De Soto
    Kornati Kid
    Noakarad De Verzee
    Ofarel D’Airy

WITTON CASTLE (nr Bishop Auckland, Durham DL14 0DE), Sunday;
    ============================================================
    Dix Villez
    Locksmith
    Lutin Du Moulin
    Special Portrait

Happy Pointing, wherever y’all end up. God I love this time of year. Proper stuff.

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks for posting those Jeremy – tomorrow’s meet looks a belter, hoping the Queen of Horseheath can go in again in the Ladies :)

Nick Pearce runs Jack’s Present up at Horseheath too by the looks of it – must be the first time in a long while she’s run twice in a month, looks a competitive enough Novice Riders though.

Whitfield as always looks a good meeting and there’s always a chance of day of race divides all over the place which could make for a very very long day in spite of the earlier than planned start to the meeting.

Good luck on Sunday Jeremy hope Witton Castle goes well :)

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Thanks for posting those Jeremy – tomorrow’s meet looks a belter, hoping the Queen of Horseheath can go in again in the Ladies :)

And that she did – Mid Div And Creep now seven from seven at Horseheath, and one leg of a Gina Andrews hat-trick on this occasion.

Have to presume the lure of hunter chases will prove too tempting for Alan Hill before too long now – her love of galloping, undulating right-handers in particular would make her a stick-on for something around Towcester or Leicester, to my way of thinking. The Dick Saunders Novice at the last-named could be well within compass.

Apparently Hoo La Baloo ran atrociously in the same Ladies Open – very surprising, given his own love of the not dissimilar Sandown.

Whitfield as always looks a good meeting and there’s always a chance of day of race divides all over the place which could make for a very very long day in spite of the earlier than planned start to the meeting.

As I wrote for the

Talking Point

phone service; "The splitting into three of the Open Maiden has already created an eight-race card with 195 entries in total. Four other events currently contain 28 or more names, and further divisions at scale are possible."

Eight races from 11.30am to 3pm so far at Whigfield – guess there’s enough daylight for three more races on that schedule, if they’re needed. And they probably will be!

Good luck on Sunday Jeremy hope Witton Castle goes well :)

Ta. The forecast is shocking, so the waterproof clipboard and china wax crayons will be deployed for the first time this term, of that I’m sure!

Very much hope Dougall takes his chance on the afternoon – moderate for Peter Foster last season, but a better fourth on his debut for Samantha Drake this, and the trainer could hardly be in better form right now.

Without any of them new fangled all-weather gallops or similar, Miss Drake just trains pointers the way people used to 30 years ago – hunt and hunt and hunt and hunt and hunt, basically. None of this malarkey of hunting just the four times to get the certificate with her!

Her Optimistic Harry looked hard fit ahead of the Sheriff Hutton Ladies last week, and I had the nuts on at 3-1 accordingly. Ka-ching. The likely presence of some more vaunted David Easterby or Cherry Coward animal(s) should guarantee another decent price tomorrow for Dougall, but we’ll see. Almost seems

too

simple… 8)

gc

Viewing 17 posts - 256 through 272 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.