The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Maz owns him but he’s leased to the Syndicate – he’s an absolute star and so gutsy and determined. Think the big fences are a bit much for him these days now he’s 12 hence the poor run at Cheltenham in the 4 Miler but he’s done well since then – last day of the season this weekend so he’ll have a long long break I’m sure :)

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Didn’t realise you were involved with Waynesworld, MArtin – would have cheered him on instead of the local winner, Paddy the Piper! Should think he has given you plenty of fun though and he’s with a good team.

Great day though at Umberleigh adn judging by the photos on Facebook, a pretty good night. Some of Richard Woollacott on top of the marquee! Hugely deserved as he has worked so hard to secure championship and all the local trainers were queuing up to help in the final few weeks.

We secured the leading horse with Fully Loaded. Come What Augustus didn’t run in the end but we were assured by Weatherbys that we were already the winners as we had 2 2nds and a 3rd as well as 9 wins whereas he only had 1 2nd had he won a 9th. Fantastic season though considering Fully Loaded kicked off on Nov 29th and had 12 races. Its not as though he hadn’t been around for a while either – most people are amazed at the turnround in his form, but a change of stable plus he gets on so well with the Pugesley girls has done the trick. He could well have won all 12 (on 2 occasions Lucy dropped him out to far and when he was 3rd, he had been held up with the snow and a split sole). But he is the most lovely horse and I have so enjoyed being involved with him, riding him out virtually every day and putting the hard graft in. Not often that it pays off in such an incredible way!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Great stuff from Fully Loaded – he’s been a credit to yourself, Gerald Greenway and the Pugsley girls all season :)

I take it he’ll be returning for the 2010/11 season Jinny with Emily(I think) riding?

Waynes ran really well in the most competitive race he’s taken in recently – Nick said in another 100 yards he’d have got up but I’ve not seen the race as I was in work. He’s been brilliant and we’re hoping for similar with the new horse next season :)

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Who’d have thought it, Irish – Open races at Umberleigh don’t always take that much winning, but with the twin issues of the title race and connections wanting to make up for last time after all the lost meetings, I think quite a few of the late-season Opens this term have been far better than they sometimes can be.

Ergo, in a "normal" season Waynesworld may well have cleaned up at Umberleigh. Maybe next year? 8)

Think it was a very smart move to keep Lucy on Fully Loaded once it became apparent he could win a stack of races this term, as I think I’m right in saying Emma’s not won enough races to exclude her from PPORA races next term. He seems to thrive on his racing – long may he continue to. A credit to all concerned.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Next year hopefully be doing something similar with Aim though you never know with horses – they have a habit of making a lot of people look very silly.

Do you know what else ran in the Mens Open at all Jeremy? Only got the first three from the Weatherby’s site. Some syndicate members were last seen with pints in hand somewhere in Devon :lol:

jinnyj
    • Total Posts 141

Full runners for Men’s Open:

Its alf
    Joe Deane
    King Georges
    Nippy Des Mottes
    Paddy the Piper
    Potts of Magic
    Shannon Lodge (unseated)
    Twenty Degrees
    Waynesworld

Greenalls took a lorryload of about 10 in case Woollacott didn’t win the first inc. Ofarel D’Airy which they were planning to run in the Open. However when it became clear Jake couldn’t win, they conceeded and his brothers rode as well.

Once Lucy rode the 3 winners, it made sense to keep her going as she is off to Chester Uni next year whereas Emma is only down at Portsmouth & can come back to ride at w/es. We may well look out for a replacement for El Hombre who is retired possibly a maiden so if Lucy wants to ride she can do maiden, restricted & confined before getting into opens. Emma will stay in Novice comp on Fully Loaded as it seems to suit him!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Thanks Jinny – looked a strong line-up in the Mens then.

You’ll have the added advantage for 2010/11 of knowing the Novice Riders schedule like the back of your hand Jinny – I doubt there’ll be any of those juicy early season prices around mind ;)

Figured the Greenall’s would take a lorry load – they were due to be at Dingley when we won a few weeks ago but they went to Bangor instead (thankfully). They were throwing a heck of a lot of ammo at the title race so it was good in the end to see Richard Woolacott win though it’s been a thrilling last couple of months. I’ve no doubt both Jake Greenall and John Mathias will make it pay under rules (and for that matter Adam Wedge who’s just turned conditional with Evan Williams yard).

Hope the girls both do well at uni and continue riding next year – long haul journeys to Bangor P2P maybe? :)

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Taken from http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk. I can imagine a few TRFfers starting to plan their winter weekends from Wednesday morning onwards!

"The long-awaited 2010/11 Point-to-Point Fixture List is due to be released on Wednesday September 15th, with a total of 208 fixtures scheduled to take place over the course of the season.

The season will kick off on Sunday November 28th with the Black Forest Club meeting at Black Forest Lodge, followed a week later by the Cambridge University United Hunts Club at Cottenham.

This season there will be no less than eight fixtures taking place in November and December. The Point-to-Point Owners and Riders Club have moved their two-day fixture at Barbury Racecourse from their traditional date in mid-January to the weekend before Christmas, December 18th and 19th. There will also be post-Christmas racing at Chaddesley Corbett and Ideford Arch on Bank Holiday Tuesday, December 28th.

With the Easter weekend falling very late in 2011, there will be racing on two consecutive Bank Holidays later in the season, with 11 meetings on Easter Monday (April 25th) and a further seven on the May Bank Holiday the following week.

The season comes to its traditional close on Saturday June 18th with the Torrington Farmers meeting at Umberleigh.

The full list will be uploaded to the Fixtures area of the website first thing on Wednesday morning."

HTH,

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Sure will Jeremy – you likely to be taking a trip to BFL for the first meet of the season?

Debating it myself at the moment but I’m a definite for Cottenham the week after :)

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1932

I must try and get to a few more this season.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Sure will Jeremy – you likely to be taking a trip to BFL for the first meet of the season?

Debating it myself at the moment but I’m a definite for Cottenham the week after :)

Good man! Don’t know at this stage how many pre-Christmas weekends I can give over to pointing, but at this remove I’d say that if I had to choose I’m more likely to forego both BFL and Cottenham (having done both in the past) and finally get to Barbury for one or other day of the PPORC-fest instead. No meeting there or at Tweseldown that I’ve ever set time aside to go to has ever beaten the weather – can I be any luckier this term?

I don’t know whether the eight pre-Christmas meetings alluded to include those run at Alnwick or Wadebridge last December, much less whether they clash with Barbury this time. If they do not, though, I’d like to get to one or the other of those. Yorkshire to Cornwall in mid-December, though – good luck with that, me!

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Sounds like a bit of a trek Jeremy – I know that the accepted train route for Brighton to Exeter is to Paddington and then to Exeter that way – was quite looking forward to a coastline train trip too but that will have to wait.

Stocking up on supplies for the new season with the Annual coming out in November and in the middle of compiling my horses to follow list for 2010/11. At the min there’s not too many on it if you have any ideas? lol

Martin

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Can’t wait for the first Cottenham meeting. December is great with my favourite Point to Point course immediately followed by the international meeting at Sha Tin.

I approve of all these early season meetings. Good ground and competitive racing. I’d much rather attend these fixtures than any points after Easter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Good as their word, Weatherbys Chase have added the 2010-11 fixtures to their website now at;

http://www.pointtopoint.co.uk/fixture_list_2011.html

Viewing is unrestricted – you don’t need to be a subscriber to their other services to take a look.

Very much agree with you on the early fixtures, Adrian, and with the elongating of the pointing season in general (for all that the fewer fixtures there are on any given raceday, the less likely I am to be required to race-read!). If the likes of Cottenham and Black Forest Lodge can consistently produce good ground in November / December, and if Alnwick always stands a fair chance of surviving the cold by virtue of its proximity to the Northumberland coast, then it just seems barking to me not to try to utilise them pre-Christmas. Those not so distant days of the season starting in early February seem more rigid and unimaginative with every passing year!

All that said, I bet a few traditionalists are absolutely doing their fruit over the programming of the first Easter Sunday meeting for aeons, if not all time…

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Agree with you both – the more meetings the better and the more spread out they are the more opportunities there are for trainers to run – would still rather see a November (start of) to June season though particularly when we have bank holidays with 5 or 6 meetings and certain meets on the same day a little over 35 miles apart.

Nick Pearce mentioned over at JFF that in the South East they pool all the money together and it’s split amongst the hunts – it seems a sensible way to do things and alternate which hunts get which fixtures each year.

Excited for Cottenham now :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Yeah, I was reading that earlier today, Irish – seems an eminently sensible way of doing things, and all credit to the South East Area hunts as a whole for going that cooperative route.

A model for others to adopt, perhaps, although even within that I’m presuming there are some fixture arrangements absolutely carved in stone. The East Kent don’t look like they’re going to move their Bank Holiday Monday fixture at Aldington to another date anytime soon, but I’m sure it’s made worth the other hunts’ while to let them retain that date.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Third in two Tingle Creeks, second in a Connaught Gold Cup, second in the BGC chase at Ascot and wins today aged 13 at Worcester priced 40/1 on Betfair.

Stretching the back-class credentials a bit far back for this punter but well done to connections of Oneway.

Has this horse been pointing since last seen novice hurdling (aged 12 :) ) at Southwell almost a year ago?

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.