The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Look who’s pointing!

Home Forums Horse Racing Look who’s pointing!

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 378 total)
  • Author
    mort
    Participant
    • Total Posts 138

Just noticed Commander Vic as a winner in the PtoP results whilst looking for details of Sundays meet in Godstone. I’m sure he was owned by David Johnson until recently and at the Pipes……

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Correct on all counts – last ran for the Pond House massive at Cheltenham in April 2008, but has been enjoying himself in points since, winning three.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1661

The gallant 16-year-old Dr. Ramsey is entered in a Lady Rider Timber race at the Loudoun Hunt Point-to-Point tomorrow. Dr. Ramsey’s wins include the Pennsylvania Hunt Cup (twice), the Genesee Valley Hunt Cup, the Ski Roundtop Cup, the Block House Hurdle, and many other stakes wins and placings. Nowadays he runs primarily in point-to-points. Last year in 7 starts he won twice, was second twice, was pulled up early once, and was unplaced twice, both in flat races. His regular rider Diana Gillam will be aboard for this first start of the season. While he is twice the age of the next oldest horse in the field, he is by far the most agile.

On the same card Your Sum Man (Ire), winner of last year’s American Grand National, is entered in an open flat race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Look who’s pointing? The Grand National winner, as it happens!

Sort of. I ended up at Andoversford in Gloucestershire yesterday afternoon, and after the opening race there was a pause of a few minutes whilst Don’t Push It, replete with John Smiths Grand National Winner rug, was jig-jogged around the parade ring to a rapturous reception.

Some horses know they are good, or have done well, and the gelding certainly had a swagger about him. He also looked the picture of health, or at the very least outwardly no worse for his exertions.

Jonjo was there as well, but had to decline the offer of an interview, for one very good reason – he couldn’t speak! It must have been a very good, very long party the night before.

All of Jonjo’s hunter chasers are registered with Cotswold-based points (albeit primarily the North Cotswold hunt whose meeting is held at Paxford on Easter Monday, rather than the Cotswold whose meeting it was yesterday), so I suppose I could have anticipated Don’t Push It’s parading here – it’s nothing new to this particular meeting, having done the same with Bindaree in 2002.

Some within the amateur fraternity bemoan the fact that those Jonjo hunters are never campaigned in point-to-points, just hunter chases; but there weren’t any dissenting voices among the crowd yesterday. Andoversford may just be one of the venues, and attracting of a crowd, which is more "Rules tolerant", for want of a better expression. With Kim Bailey as the clerk of the course, that disposition probably permeates from the top down.

Aintree heroes didn’t start and finish with Don’t Push It if you looked closely enough, either. Prior to the fifth or sixth race (I forget which just now), one Sam Twiston-Davies could be seen leading a horse round, relatively anonymous with a baseball cap pressed hard over his head.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

My Way De Solzen is entered up in a Novice Rider’s race at Andoversford this Sunday, though the prospects of him getting the chance to follow up his winning debut between the flags at Upton-on-Severn will evaporate unless we get some rain pretty damn quick.

gc

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Don’t Push It was one of Kim Baileys tips for the race on his daily blog. Wish I’d read it before the race! Mr Bailey; not usually the best tipster in the world, as he admits himself, but he did rather well at Aintree this year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 515

Racing again at Andoversford this Sunday with the guest of honour this time around being Imperial Commander.

Looks like a pretty decent card, despite the novelty of the majority of races being for veteran and novice (or senile and sh*t – depending on who you ask…) riders.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Don’t think My Way De Solzen turned out at Andoversford last Sunday, but the usually superb racing surface at Clifton-(up)on-Dunsmore (the former Rugby NH racecourse) should prove enough of a lure for him to take in the Confined race there this Sunday instead.

Sericina, fancied for the Cheltenham Foxhunter but a faller on the day, could reappear at another of pointing’s especially well-maintained once-a-year courses, Woodford in Gloucestershire, the day before. The likes of Shernally, Honest Endeavour and even old Royal Auclair should keep her honest in the Ladies Open there.

I’ve never yet got to Woodford, and won’t this year either (Penshurst beckons), but its reputation for decent ground, sizeable fields and good winners (Meanus Dandy, Vico and Civil Disobedience last year) very much precedes it. Get there if you can.

gc

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

Don’t think My Way De Solzen turned out at Andoversford last Sunday, but the usually superb racing surface at Clifton-(up)on-Dunsmore (the former Rugby NH racecourse) should prove enough of a lure for him to take in the Confined race there this Sunday instead.

Sericina, fancied for the Cheltenham Foxhunter but a faller on the day, could reappear at another of pointing’s especially well-maintained once-a-year courses, Woodford in Gloucestershire, the day before. The likes of Shernally, Honest Endeavour and even old Royal Auclair should keep her honest in the Ladies Open there.

I’ve never yet got to Woodford, and won’t this year either (Penshurst beckons), but its reputation for decent ground, sizeable fields and good winners (Meanus Dandy, Vico and Civil Disobedience last year) very much precedes it. Get there if you can.

gc

Both Clifton on Dunsmore and Woodford are well worth the trip. I’ve been to both once only. they have good views and are well maintained. Watch it at Woodford as you are head on to the finish on the excellent bank overlooking the start (on a chute) and the bend into the back straight. Good hound parade right down the track from Berkely Castle seen in the distance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I think Woodford’s a bit like Bangor’s NH course in its set-up, isn’t it – a left-handed track at which you’re looking right down the home straight, head-on ("which rather defeats the object", as they’ve said in Mackenzie and Harris for years). The video footage of last year’s meeting on

Viewpoint

is a bit more instructive for distances beaten, etc., as David Jones’s camera was set a bit to one side of the straight rather than at the foot of it.

Clifton is another head-on finish course and the raised ground was pretty congested with the parade ring, bookies’ pitches, etc. when I last went (2005), but the odd perfect viewing spot can be found if you’re diligent.

The fences at Clifton were never especially shabby, but I’m advised that they’ve been rebuilt and repacked for this season, which should sort out the sketchy jumpers nicely.

gc

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

It’s the last meeting of the season at Umberleigh (off the A377, near South Molton) tomorrow afternoon, and all interested parties in the area (and beyond!) will be welcome to attend a fixture that is always played out in a party-like atmosphere.

Richard Woollacott (39 wins), John Mathias (37) and Jake Greenall (35) all enter the meeting with a mathematical chance of taking the national men’s title, but it’s definitely advantage "Woolly". A win in the Confined Hunts race (for which none of the horses usually ridden by Mathias and Greenall are eligible) could go a long way towards putting the matter beyond doubt.

A win in that contest for Come What Augustus, one of several possible mounts for Woolly, would give that gelding a share of the season’s Leading Horse title with Fully Loaded (nine wins each).

An entry of well above-average quality for the venue (one of just two left where racing is not all on grass – a two-furlong section through a field of corn roots is maintained) also includes the likes of Ofarel D’Airy and 2008 Cheltenham Fox Hunter hero Amicelli.

Won’t get there myself this year, alas, but I’m sure it’ll be a competitive (and eventually boozy) afternoon down in South Devon.

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

You missed out the star of the show Jeremy ;)

The syndicate I’ve joined for the 2010/11 season has a horse running in the Mens Open – Waynesworld, he’s going for his fourth win in four weeks at the age of 12 following wins in Wales, at Dingley and last Saturday at Whitfield. Here’s hoping he can go in again under Nick Pearce :)

Good luck to anyone going to Umberleigh this weekend and happy pointing :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

He’s a definite is he, Irish? Splendid! If he handles the left-handed undulations there as well as he does the likes of Garnons, he’ll give a fine account of himself. Very best of luck to the old boy.

Bredwardine’s not quite Wales, btw, but it’s as close as you can get without needing your passport stamping! 8)

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

I had to put Wales as I forgot where it was :lol:

Yeah as long as he’s fit he’ll run down there – super well at the moment and hoping for a big run but we’ve had things our own way the last twice with Galaxia and My Old Piano both tipping up on successive weekends so Ofarel D’Airy or Amicelli will be much harder to beat.

Looking forward to next season now and Aim For The Stars :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

A very appropriately named horse for you all, that one. Let’s see if it can’t emulate stablemate Hemington come next May!

gc

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Fingers crossed though taking it step by step at the moment. :)

• Total Posts 59

You own Waynesworld? VERY nice! All the best with him ….. he deserves a lot of polos.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 378 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.